Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Bandsaw drift

I set up my Jet 14" bandsaw like Michael Fortune recommends. He had an
article in FWW 173 and also one in Wood magazine. I also added the Iturra
spring that John White recommends in FWW 159. I used the BC Saw's 3 tpi skip
tooth blade (one of Fortune's recommendations).

I also have a riser kit on the saw, but that is not part of this last
modification. I shimmed the top wheel 1/16" to make it co-planer with the
bottom wheel.

Wow, no blade drift and good thin resawed panels. :-)

An interesting side light is that the top wheel had been balanced on the
back side. There is series of dimples that removed metal to balance the
wheel. I bought the saw new, so it had been balanced by the factory.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lowell Holmes wrote:

I set up my Jet 14" bandsaw like Michael Fortune recommends. He had an
article in FWW 173 and also one in Wood magazine. I also added the Iturra
spring that John White recommends in FWW 159. I used the BC Saw's 3 tpi skip
tooth blade (one of Fortune's recommendations).

I also have a riser kit on the saw, but that is not part of this last
modification. I shimmed the top wheel 1/16" to make it co-planer with the
bottom wheel.

Wow, no blade drift and good thin resawed panels. :-)

An interesting side light is that the top wheel had been balanced on the
back side. There is series of dimples that removed metal to balance the
wheel. I bought the saw new, so it had been balanced by the factory.

As a newbie, I was under the impression that power tools came
tuned and ready to go out of the box. They work right out of the
box - but they could work MUCH better with a little after purchase
tuning. Of course that often involves getting some set up tools
and finding out what to check - then how to adjust things. -
correctly.

Enjoy the bandsaw - especially now that it's fine tuned.

charlie b