Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? CL

Jim Behning wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:
CBFalconer wrote:
"R.H." wrote:
861 This hay fork was for loose hay , not for bales. I do not think
there were many (if any) hay balers around in 1885
You're right, I removed the word bale from my answer. Hay balers
weren't
common until at least the 1940's.

And are disappearing now. You don't see haybales anymore, instead
there are some sort of cylindrical things wrapped in plastic (I
think). Probably improves immunity to rain.

Not disappearing where I drive a lot (Idaho, Oregon, Nevada).. You
see regular bales (60-80 pounds), big round ones(no plastic)(probably
600+ pounds) and the big square ones (probably 500+ pounds).

In Georgia we buy squares of Bermuda about 50# for a tight bale. Round
4x6 are about 1,000#. Some folks still use 5x5 balers at about the same
weight. Weight of course depends on how tight they roll same as the
square weight. I think some went to the 4x6 rollers so they would not
get hassled by the DOT for wide loads when hauling hay. I buy 4 rolls at
a time. I store them in the barn and move one with my little tractor.
The horses eat the roll with no waste or next to no waste. They sleep in
the hay as they pull it apart but our horses do not waste it. It helps
if all your summer grasses have gone dormant so if they want to eat they
better not poop in the hay. When we ran a boarding bard some of the
horses were a bit stupid in that regard. No hoops around the bales.

Small squares are $5 and the large rounds are $55. The rounds are
cheaper per ton. Last summers drought, diesel prices, army worms, and
increased fertilizer costs have driven up prices. Not long ago rounds
were $40 and squares could be bought for less than $3. Plus my regular
hay farmer has no spare rounds to sell.

I have seen a lot of the big 4x4x8 square bales driving west to
Colorado. I have never seen the big squares in Georgia. They may use it
somewhere but I have never seen them advertised for sale in the Market
Bulletin.

None of the half dozen farmers I have bought hay from bale in plastic
wraps. I suspect in humid Georgia you risk a lot of mold and maybe fires
wrapping in plastic. But I am not a hay farmer.

I really don't know what the big bales weigh.
Looking back on my comment I should probably
revise my estimate of weight quite a ways upward.
And I don't know the actual size of the bales,
the big square one are probably close to 4x4x8
foot and the big round ones are probably 5 to 7
foot in diameter and 8-10 foot long.

I can't imagine anyone wrapping a bale in plastic
for normal over the year storage. The quality of
the hay depends on the water content when bailed.
Too much water and it molds and starts fires,
too little water and the food value decreases.
Outside hay stacks are often covered with tarps
to keep the rain/snow from injecting too much
moisture but the sides are also usually open to
aid air circulation.

It is possible that bales could be wrapped in
plastic for short term storage, transportation, or
use.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 22:56:21 GMT, Gunner wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:42:51 -0600, Barbara Bailey
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:08:08 -0500, Doghouse
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Last time I picked up bales from the ground..I was driving a tractor
hauling a bail loader. As long as the bale went into the chute...it
would stack em nice and neat on the trailer. Most modern farms do that
these days.

I worked on a dairy farm in 1969. Two of us stacked bales in a wagon
with eight-foot sides towed behind a baler. I'd grab the ejected bale
and toss it to the guy who was stacking.

IIRC, the baler tossed bales over the front side of the wagon. Now I'm
not sure about it. Bales tossed that high would probably have been
erratic. One of them could have broken my neck if I didn't see it
coming. A lot of them would probably have broken on impact.

Does anyone remember how balers tossed bales into towed wagons?

At abouut the same time, in northern Illinois, the hay wagons on my
uncles' farms, and other farms nearby, didn't have a front side. They
had slat-sides on the side-sides and at the rear, but nothing between
the baler and the catcher. The bales came out low, maybe a foot, a
foot and a half, above the bed of the wagon.

http://www.hoelscherinc.com/testimony_balestacker.htm
http://www.major-grasscare.com/agriculture/stacker.htm
http://www.hayingmantis.com/

etc etc

Find a need..they will invent.....

My dad uses a smaller version of one of the following:

http://www.newholland.com/h4/products/products_series_detail.asp?Reg=NA&RL=ENNA&NavID=00 0001277003&series=000005218311

These were developed in the late 60's and make the use of smaller bales
remain attractive to smaller farmers. I was lucky, my granddad was getting
to where he couldn't help stack hay and I being a young sprout of about 10
years old was not deemed sufficiently "robust" to be able to help stack all
of the hay. So Dad invested in a New Holland bale wagon. Remarkably
clever design yet almost dead stupid in the relatively small number of
moving parts required to make this miracle of mechanical and hydraulic
engineering work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

CBFalconer wrote:
Doghouse wrote:
... snip ...
I remember one incident very well. I was on my motorcycle one
morning, riding out to bring in 120 cows. The sun was in my face
my faceplate was scratchy. By the time I saw the three strands of
barbed wire across the road, it was too late to stop.

They were the kind of barbs that dug in instead of merely
scratching. To get loose I had to take the time to remove the
barbs one by one from my flesh. I became aware that I was
standing in a mud puddle and the fence was electrified, but one
can't be rushed in performing surgery like that.

What sort of idiot put barbed wire across a road. I would have
taken him apart.

I didn't blame him. It was a one-lane dirt road for access to his
pastures. I hadn't been to that pasture before. He did not anticipate
anyone going so fast. The wire was conspicuous. I did not anticipate
the effect of the low sun on my scratchy visor.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

Very very common here in my area. A treat to use.

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 02:27:22 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

And I don't know the actual size of the bales,
the big square one are probably close to 4x4x8
foot and the big round ones are probably 5 to 7
foot in diameter and 8-10 foot long.

I can't imagine anyone wrapping a bale in plastic
for normal over the year storage. The quality of
the hay depends on the water content when bailed.
Too much water and it molds and starts fires,
too little water and the food value decreases.
Outside hay stacks are often covered with tarps
to keep the rain/snow from injecting too much
moisture but the sides are also usually open to
aid air circulation.

It is possible that bales could be wrapped in
plastic for short term storage, transportation, or
use.

they are wrapped after innoculation with something to make silage.
the mookers love the stuff.

Stealth Pilot

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Gunner wrote:

[...]

I was going to suggest that it is popular with any farmer that puts up
more than a few hundred squares a year. I think they self propelled ones
are over $100,000. My regular hay farmer bought a new one last year. It
was about 20 years old or more and had been sitting in a barn with
broken out windows. A little paint and sweeping out of the glass any he
had a newer than his old one bale wagon. Under 10,000 for a good used
machine with relatively low hours. The problem that the farmers have
here is that the old barns were not built high enough to tip a full
stack. Some guys have to skip the last row or two because they stack is
too tall when tipped. Of course farmers that built barns in anticipation
of the automatic bale wagon have no issues. They can also stack the
round bales 3 bales tall inside the barn.

The old farms on my mother's side did not have hay storage like that. I
remember playing in the lofts tossing I guess Timothy squares about. It
was eastern Indiana so it definitely was not Bermuda. My dad tells tales
of helping gather hay when he was a kid so that was 70+ years ago. Pitch
forks, hay wagon and people stomping on the stacks to get more on the
wagon. Internal combustion powered machinery has definitely reduced a
lot of human labor. Kind of like electricity in a wood shop.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 14:13:51 -0600, Barbara Bailey
wrote:

snip
I lookied through an old photo album, and I have to take back part of
what I said. Most of my uncles' hay wagons didn't have sides. Only
slat-built backs.

Same here. The slat back was usually at a slight angle too,
leaning towards the back or away from the trailer. The
bailer had a long shoot and there was usually a slight
incline up to the trailer. The bales would be pushed along
at the same rate as bales were being made by the bailer.
Standing on the wagon, grab the bale, stack it on the
trailer and turn around, repeat... If you were good, you
could get the bales stacked on a trailer like this 6 to 7
tiers high and not have any fall off before reaching the
barn

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 21:36:58 GMT, "RAM³"
wrote:

Leon Fisk wrote in
:

Of course with the wet winter we've been having the cattle
are up to their knees in mud after a short time, but that is
another story...

Be thankful for the moisture - Oklahoma and Texas have been fighting
drought...

The summer was hot and dry. The rains hit just as the
farmers were trying to harvest/salvage what little grew...

The ground should be partial frozen and snow covered right
now. Nothing is frozen, no snow, just rain and mud.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Dave Baker wrote:
"R.H." wrote in message
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

860. From the inscription something to with height or altitude. Obviously it
converts a reading from something into something else. Maybe barometric
pressure into height above sea level.

Funny you would say that. My first thought was that it looked strangely
like the back of a Kane Dead Reckoning Computer my dad had when I was a
kid. Maybe this is some sort of elementary navigation device? Here is a
link to the Kane DR Computer, showing the back.

http://www.squarecirclez.com/blog/ka...g-computer/391

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Erik wrote:
860. From the inscription something to with height or altitude. Obviously it
converts a reading from something into something else. Maybe barometric
pressure into height above sea level.

Hmmm... looks to me like the left side of the 'front' table might be in
°C (0 to 40°C = 32 to 104°F). The 'rear' table left side looks more like
zoomed in comfort zone close up... ( equaling 42.8 to 81°F)

The analog scale at the end seems to have something to do millimeters,
as do the tops of both tables.

I keep thinking something to do with adjusting control cable tension...
but not sure.

Can anyone translate what the analog end text says?

RH, how about a close up of the text? It looks like it says "2/5 de m/m
par haute", which is technically nonsensical, directly translating from
french to say "2/5 of m/m by high", but it looks like there's some
additional letter(s) at the end of 'haute'.

I wonder if it originally had some sort of slider over the top of it
with a hairline that made a horizontal bar across the numbers. That
would allow someone to set the vertical scale at some value, then look
across to the horizontal scale (as determined by the pointer) to make
some sort of adjustment.

RH, closeups of the sides also, please? To see if there are any
scratches or wear marks?

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 14:31:29 GMT, Jim Behning
wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

.... snip
[...]

Wow, had no idea they had gotten so expensive. Dad's is not
self-propelled, it is a 2-wide by 4-high per level, seven level (56 bales
per load) wagon. It was well over 35 years ago that he got it

was about 20 years old or more and had been sitting in a barn with
broken out windows. A little paint and sweeping out of the glass any he
had a newer than his old one bale wagon. Under 10,000 for a good used
machine with relatively low hours. The problem that the farmers have
here is that the old barns were not built high enough to tip a full
stack. Some guys have to skip the last row or two because they stack is
too tall when tipped. Of course farmers that built barns in anticipation
of the automatic bale wagon have no issues. They can also stack the
round bales 3 bales tall inside the barn.

We never had to stack our hay in barns. Colorado is dry enough that
outside stacking is not an issue.

The old farms on my mother's side did not have hay storage like that. I
remember playing in the lofts tossing I guess Timothy squares about. It
was eastern Indiana so it definitely was not Bermuda. My dad tells tales
of helping gather hay when he was a kid so that was 70+ years ago. Pitch
forks, hay wagon and people stomping on the stacks to get more on the
wagon. Internal combustion powered machinery has definitely reduced a
lot of human labor. Kind of like electricity in a wood shop.

That's a fact

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

864 looks like a toaster. The weighted bottom would be so an arm could
hold a piece of toast over a stove or a flask over a gas flame. The
lower thumbscrew would be to slide it to a working height. The upper
thumbscrew would be for small adjustments so that in one minute you
would get the required heating.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 1 Jan 2007 11:16:41 -0800, "humunculus"
wrote:

Erik wrote:
[...]

Hi riverman,

I'm no expert with the French language, but what you posted
is more-or-less what I came up with too ("2/5 of m/m by
high"). I messed around for a while searching on this with
different combinations and came up with nothing. Here are
the translations I came up with:

de = of; from
par = a; per; by
haute = high; height

The scales/grid are almost too simple to be of much use,
unless you were suppose to lay something over top of them.
It would be interesting to know if they are accurate to any
common units like mm.

I would be interested in seeing a side view of the slide too
and to know how easy the slide moves (like will it stay put
in one place once moved, or can it just as easily flop
around). It didn't look like the slide lined up with the
grid scale in any sort of way to the images.

Another thought too, maybe the item came from a French
speaking area of Canada? It kinda has a wood/logging scale
tool look to me (shrug).

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

RH, how about a close up of the text? It looks like it says "2/5 de m/m
par haute", which is technically nonsensical, directly translating from
french to say "2/5 of m/m by high", but it looks like there's some
additional letter(s) at the end of 'haute'.

I think the last letter is a "U", the closest shot of this text that I have
was the link on my site, same as this one:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...05/pic860b.jpg

I wonder if it originally had some sort of slider over the top of it
with a hairline that made a horizontal bar across the numbers. That
would allow someone to set the vertical scale at some value, then look
across to the horizontal scale (as determined by the pointer) to make
some sort of adjustment.

RH, closeups of the sides also, please? To see if there are any
scratches or wear marks?

The slider idea sounds like a good possibility. I took the photos of this
tool at an auction and didn't take any of the sides, just the front and
back. It was in a box lot and they had no description of it. I've been
doing some searching on it but haven't had any luck yet.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Doghouse writes:
Gunner wrote:

Last time I picked up bales from the ground..I was driving a tractor
hauling a bail loader. As long as the bale went into the chute...it
would stack em nice and neat on the trailer. Most modern farms do that
these days.

I worked on a dairy farm in 1969. Two of us stacked bales in a wagon
with eight-foot sides towed behind a baler. I'd grab the ejected bale
and toss it to the guy who was stacking.

IIRC, the baler tossed bales over the front side of the wagon. Now I'm
not sure about it. Bales tossed that high would probably have been
erratic. One of them could have broken my neck if I didn't see it
coming. A lot of them would probably have broken on impact.

Does anyone remember how balers tossed bales into towed wagons?

Massey-Ferguson rig, vintage 1969:

http://www.lurndal.org/images/baler.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

And I don't know the actual size of the bales,
the big square one are probably close to 4x4x8
foot and the big round ones are probably 5 to 7
foot in diameter and 8-10 foot long.

I can't imagine anyone wrapping a bale in plastic
for normal over the year storage. The quality of
the hay depends on the water content when bailed.
Too much water and it molds and starts fires,
too little water and the food value decreases.
Outside hay stacks are often covered with tarps
to keep the rain/snow from injecting too much
moisture but the sides are also usually open to
aid air circulation.

It is possible that bales could be wrapped in
plastic for short term storage, transportation, or
use.

they are wrapped after innoculation with something to make silage.
the mookers love the stuff.

Stealth Pilot

That's certainly not the way silage is made around
here!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Erik wrote:
[...]

Hmm, another clue/observation: it looks like the distance that the
little side bar travels (from the bottom to the top of the chart) is
the same physical distance as the 'pointer' sweeps across the top of
the tool: I bet its just an L-shaped piece of metal, not something
geared.

I wonder if we are looking at it wrong: the little bar isn't the
handle...its a lever. And the pointer is the handle: when the 'pointer'
is furthest to the left ('10'), then 2/5 of 10 is 4, and the little
side bar is at the 40. If we read that as 4.0 rather than 40, then the
position of the side bar always corresponds to 2/5 of the position of
the 'pointer'.

My guess is that there WAS some sort of cover that was connected to the
side bar. The user slid the 'pointer' to some position that
corresponded to something, and the side bar moved the cover (with a
crosshair?) to give a calibration of some sort.

Hmmm, I hate mysteries like this.

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , R.H.
wrote:

[...]

I wonder if the word isn't "hauteur"?

This link
http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Glossar...glish=hauteur%
2C%20profondeur suggests a measurement of a fish's body height.

Perhaps it's some sort of gauge for determining whether a fish is legal
to keep.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 16:10:05 -0500, "R.H."
wrote:

[...]

Hi Rob,

I suspected that was your only pictures at this time. Thanks
for updating us on that.

I searched for anything related to scaling lumber that might
look like this and didn't find anything of interest. Of
course I've played out a bunch of other ideas too

It looks/feels like something from around 1900 or maybe even
earlier, but I have no basis for that.

I kinda like Riverman's idea that there was something that
slid over the top of the scale/grid area and this engaged
with the slide on the side. The scale on the back side
though has a slight angle to the horizontal lines. Not sure
if that is significant or not.

"m/m" is also an abbreviation for "by mass," used in
chemistry and pharmacology to describe the concentration of
a substance in a mixture or solution. 2% m/m means that the
mass of the substance is 2% of the total mass of the
solution or mixture.

Maybe that bit of trivia will help somebody else and maybe
not...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

I wonder if the word isn't "hauteur"?

This link
http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/Glossar...glish=hauteur%
2C%20profondeur suggests a measurement of a fish's body height.

Perhaps it's some sort of gauge for determining whether a fish is legal
to keep.

Here is the largest photo that I have that shows the end of the word,
doesn't appear to be an R after the U, clicking on the image should make it
bigger:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...05/pic860s.jpg

And a larger shot of the other side:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v8...05/pic860t.jpg

The needle was spring returned to the zero position, and it took light
pressure on the small rod to move it. The photos that are on my site were
cleaned up, especially the front side; the pictures on the links above are
unmodified, notice the dark dots in the graph and by the numbers, I don't
think they're meaningful, but someone was asking about wear marks so I
thought they might want to see the unaltered photos.

I've got a couple emails that I plan to send to some tool collectors in the
next day or two concerning this tool, hopefully one of them will recognize
it.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

R.H. wrote:

notice the dark dots in the graph and by the numbers, I don't
think they're meaningful, but someone was asking about wear marks so I
thought they might want to see the unaltered photos.

Could the scale on the side be a calibration chart, similar to that used
on RF components today?

http://www.torontosurplus.com/rfp/DATA1260.JPG

Kevin Gallimore