Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Gunner Gunner is offline

Default What is it? CL

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 21:18:39 -0700, Mark & Juanita
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 22:56:21 GMT, Gunner wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:42:51 -0600, Barbara Bailey
wrote:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 09:08:08 -0500, Doghouse
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Last time I picked up bales from the ground..I was driving a tractor
hauling a bail loader. As long as the bale went into the chute...it
would stack em nice and neat on the trailer. Most modern farms do that
these days.

I worked on a dairy farm in 1969. Two of us stacked bales in a wagon
with eight-foot sides towed behind a baler. I'd grab the ejected bale
and toss it to the guy who was stacking.

IIRC, the baler tossed bales over the front side of the wagon. Now I'm
not sure about it. Bales tossed that high would probably have been
erratic. One of them could have broken my neck if I didn't see it
coming. A lot of them would probably have broken on impact.

Does anyone remember how balers tossed bales into towed wagons?

At abouut the same time, in northern Illinois, the hay wagons on my
uncles' farms, and other farms nearby, didn't have a front side. They
had slat-sides on the side-sides and at the rear, but nothing between
the baler and the catcher. The bales came out low, maybe a foot, a
foot and a half, above the bed of the wagon.

http://www.hoelscherinc.com/testimony_balestacker.htm
http://www.major-grasscare.com/agriculture/stacker.htm
http://www.hayingmantis.com/

etc etc

Find a need..they will invent.....

My dad uses a smaller version of one of the following:

http://www.newholland.com/h4/products/products_series_detail.asp?Reg=NA&RL=ENNA&NavID=00 0001277003&series=000005218311

These were developed in the late 60's and make the use of smaller bales
remain attractive to smaller farmers. I was lucky, my granddad was getting
to where he couldn't help stack hay and I being a young sprout of about 10
years old was not deemed sufficiently "robust" to be able to help stack all
of the hay. So Dad invested in a New Holland bale wagon. Remarkably
clever design yet almost dead stupid in the relatively small number of
moving parts required to make this miracle of mechanical and hydraulic
engineering work.

Very very common here in my area. A treat to use.

Gunner

Political Correctness

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media,
which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible
to pick up a turd by the clean end.