Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Distaff woodworking

Does anyone know any women who are really into woodworking? I
certainly can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be as interested
as, say, some men are in cooking. I know a woman who is interested but
doesn't get involved. She does like watching Norm however! I'd like
to know that there are some women turning out projects as good as (or
better than) those the men in here do. After all, it isn't an activity
where strength matters very much.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know any women who are really into woodworking? I
certainly can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be as interested
as, say, some men are in cooking. I know a woman who is interested but
doesn't get involved. She does like watching Norm however! I'd like
to know that there are some women turning out projects as good as (or
better than) those the men in here do. After all, it isn't an activity
where strength matters very much.

All kinds of women work wood. They even have their own magazine. Odd, how
folks who insist they want to be treated the same, because they _are_ the
same want to have their own magazine. Names available in the index of FWW
and such.
FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking
DLB DLB is offline

FoggyTown wrote:
Does anyone know any women who are really into woodworking? I
certainly can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be as interested
as, say, some men are in cooking. I know a woman who is interested but
doesn't get involved. She does like watching Norm however! I'd like
to know that there are some women turning out projects as good as (or
better than) those the men in here do. After all, it isn't an activity
where strength matters very much.

FoggyTown

Check out John Lucas' site:

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/

He and various females test products and make some great projects.

Dave - Baltimore

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FoggyTown" wrote ...
Does anyone know any women who are really into woodworking? I
certainly can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be as interested
as, say, some men are in cooking.

[...]

I've come across a few woodworker gals. "P" comes to mind. Worked with her
in a shop in RI back in the 80's. She was the go-to gal anytime anybody
needed shaper cutters ground. Aside from that, she did everything everyone
else did about the same, except maybe for the heavy lifting. She was a nice
gal & a good fishin' buddy.

Met "A" in the 90's working in a millwork and woodworking shop, their main
employee. Was doing what we would call 'fine woodworking' and doing an
outstanding job of it.

Did some cabs and a fireplace for a basement remodel job last year, and the
lady carpenter on the job was one of the best I've worked with. Real hard
worker, knew what she was doing.

But definitely, there are way fewer women woodworkers than men woodworkers.
I'd guess it's partly cultural differences, and partly innate differences
between the sexes. Culturally, I'd guess there are fewer women who aspire
to success in the trades, whereas guys might be more inclined to see
something noble in it. Also, at one time, less so now, women were given a
hard time trying to enter the trades, so it would make sense that there
would be fewer of my generation (50ish) , but more younger women in the
trades. And lastly, it's my understanding that male brains are innately
more likely to have good three-dimensional and mechanical reasoning
abilities, and female brains are more likely to have well-developed
communication abilities. And of course, there are exceptions, guys who
can't use a screwdriver, and women who can build anything.

And there is also the fact the environment of working with a bunch of guys
in a shop may not appeal to a lot of women; guys are pretty rough on each
other, use rude language, a lot of sexual references, the c-hair is still
considered a standard unit of measurement in most shops, the work is hard,
the pay is low - maybe women are just smart enough not to want to get
involved.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote:
Does anyone know any women who are really into woodworking? I
certainly can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be as interested
as, say, some men are in cooking. I know a woman who is interested but
doesn't get involved. She does like watching Norm however! I'd like
to know that there are some women turning out projects as good as (or
better than) those the men in here do. After all, it isn't an activity
where strength matters very much.

FoggyTown

Kathy Wingert who builds custom guitars and used you post to this news
group, is just one that comes to mind.

http://www.wingertguitars.com/gallery1.shtml

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone know any women who are really into woodworking? I
certainly can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be as interested
as, say, some men are in cooking. I know a woman who is interested but
doesn't get involved. She does like watching Norm however! I'd like
to know that there are some women turning out projects as good as (or
better than) those the men in here do. After all, it isn't an activity
where strength matters very much.

I took a woodworking class a few years ago. Of the 12 of us, four were
women. Unlike most of the men, they did not have beer bellies either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

My daughter-in-law is a licensed building contractor. She has built houses
with her dad since she was old enough to do so, doing most anything that
needed to be done. I've built several projects with her and have been amazed
at what she can do. She's not just a carpenter, but a fine cabinet and
furniture maker.

--
Charley

"Juvenal" wrote in message

"FoggyTown" wrote ...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

There have been a few that have come through here. The names I don't
remember without going back to the archives to look them up. There was
on women from New Orleans that owned her own company. I often reflect
back now and wonder how they faired in the mess down there.

As often as I can I enjoy looking at the work of people who enter their
work into contests. A high percentage of winners are women. I think
most are to busy doing instead of talking.

Roy

On Dec 26, 5:49 am, "FoggyTown" wrote:
Does anyone know any women who are really into woodworking? I
certainly can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be as interested
as, say, some men are in cooking. I know a woman who is interested but
doesn't get involved. She does like watching Norm however! I'd like
to know that there are some women turning out projects as good as (or
better than) those the men in here do. After all, it isn't an activity
where strength matters very much.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 11:08:46 GMT, "George" wrote:

"FoggyTown" wrote in message
oups.com...
Does anyone know any women who are really into woodworking? I
certainly can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be as interested
as, say, some men are in cooking. I know a woman who is interested but
doesn't get involved. She does like watching Norm however! I'd like
to know that there are some women turning out projects as good as (or
better than) those the men in here do. After all, it isn't an activity
where strength matters very much.

All kinds of women work wood. They even have their own magazine. Odd, how
folks who insist they want to be treated the same, because they _are_ the
same want to have their own magazine. Names available in the index of FWW
and such.
FoggyTown

Where did you get the notion that women woodworkers want their own
magazine? The fact that one exists (or, existed) doesn't mean there's
a demand. In fact, i'd prefer not to segregate by gender - 'cause you
guys have a head start in the field, if nohthing else :-)

While there are times for differences between the sexes, ww'g is
rarely one of them.

Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Charley" wrote...
My daughter-in-law is a licensed building contractor. She has built houses
with her dad since she was old enough to do so, doing most anything that
needed to be done. I've built several projects with her and have been

amazed
at what she can do. She's not just a carpenter, but a fine cabinet and
furniture maker.

Further support for the cultural arguement.

I recall now, back in the late 60's in jr. high shop class. Boys had to
take shop, which was metal shop, woodshop, and mechanical drawing. Girls
had to take home ec, and there were no exceptions. Boys had one week of
home ec at the end of the year, hated and resisted it the whole way, and
iirc we baked a cake, learned to sew buttons, balance a checkbook, and on
the last day had a party with the girls & played spin the bottle & other
parlor games under the teachers watchful eye. For that week the girls made
jewelry in metal shop and had a blast.

At the time, I didn't care for woodshop so much - building birdhouses and
other crap out of warped pine boards - but enjoyed drafting class, and metal
shop was awesome: I made a sand casting and poured an aluminum ashtray in
the shape of the US, forged a screwdriver blade and turned a yellow plastic
handle for it, turned a little ball peen hammer with a knurled handle, spun
an aluminum bowl, cut and solderded together a little tin box, made a sheet
of hammered copper, turned a brass candlestick, forged and tempered a cold
chisel. Still have the box, the chisel, and the hammer. So the guys were
exposed to shop big time, and the girls merely got a chance to stop sewing
and baking class for one week to make cool stuff. I'll bet most of the gals
would've rather had a year of shop than a year of home ec, but maybe I'm
just projecting.

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote...

I do.

....so much for my theory about women's communication skills. 8^)

--
Timothy Juvenal
www.tjwoodworking.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message
Where did you get the notion that women woodworkers want their own
magazine? The fact that one exists (or, existed) doesn't mean there's
a demand.

LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote:
Does anyone know any women who are really into woodworking? I
certainly can't think of any reason why they shouldn't be as interested
as, say, some men are in cooking.

The bulk of the best chefs are male.

I know a woman who is interested but
doesn't get involved. She does like watching Norm however! I'd like
to know that there are some women turning out projects as good as (or
better than) those the men in here do. After all, it isn't an activity
where strength matters very much.

When a woman decides to become a (*fill in blank*) she will do so.
With a few exceptions, they can do anything a man can do. (The
exceptions are simple: a 5'0" 100 girl isn't going to carry me down a
fire-truck's ladder.... and neither will a 5'0" 100 pound guy.)

This whole gender typecasting thing is bull****. If a woman can't do a
certain job, it is because she either hasn't learned, or doesn't have
the desire.... sure as hell not because she is a woman.
My oldest daughter is an operator at a nuclear power-station. She
leaves lots of guys eat her dust.
She studies hard, works hard and has excellent work ethics. Any MAN
with the same qualities would do as well as she does.

Any man/woman who stands in the way of a talent, is an idiot. Gender be
damned.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
FoggyTown wrote:
[...]

You making up for some past sins or something? Who said anything about
gender typing? Methinks you protest a little too much, son.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
FoggyTown wrote:
[...]

That's a pretty strange response, don't you think? You should widen
your mind a little.
All the women in my family have been very strong. I'm sorry you didn't
have that experience.

Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote:

Does anyone know any women who are really into woodworking?

I know a fairly tiny female timberframer. It's quite odd to watch her
shoving whole logs into the Woodmizer

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 18:49:03 GMT, "Juvenal"
wrote:

"Renata" wrote...

I do.

...so much for my theory about women's communication skills. 8^)

Misplace your sense of humor, mayhaps?

Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

There's an excellent female woodworker who works closely with another female
who, IIRC, does the inlay work ... but I can't remember either names. I
believe there might have been an article about them in American Bungalow, or
a similar mag, a year or two back.

Be nice to find a website ...

Any idea who that is?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/25/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

That's a pretty strange response, don't you think? You should widen
your mind a little.
All the women in my family have been very strong. I'm sorry you didn't
have that experience.

I can't tell if you're genuinely obtuse or just a troll. All I said
was that I didn't personally KNOW any women who were into working.
Nothing about should be or could be or prevented from, etc. Maybe
being around all those "strong women" in your family has affected you.

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

FoggyTown wrote:
Robatoy wrote:

That's a pretty strange response, don't you think? You should widen
your mind a little.
All the women in my family have been very strong. I'm sorry you didn't
have that experience.

I can't tell if you're genuinely obtuse or just a troll.

I doubt you can tell anything.

[snipped some more drivel to throw on the cuttingroom floor, I'll try
not to step in any of it.]

Maybe
being around all those "strong women" in your family has affected you.

It most certainly has affected me. I have the greatest respect for
women as a result.
I don't get all giddy and paranoid around them.

Woodworking Brandon Woodworking 0 December 13th 06 02:48 PM
New woodworking newsgroup for all ages fam.woodworking Susan Welchel Woodworking 67 July 25th 05 06:58 PM
3rd RFD: rec.woodworking.all-ages (was: rec.woodworking.moderated) mbrooks Woodturning 10 September 22nd 04 10:57 PM
Getting out of woodworking. Biker Dan Woodworking 0 November 2nd 03 02:30 PM
woodworking David L. Donet Woodworking 3 October 13th 03 02:36 PM