Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Turned handles

I am making a hand tool for custom knife making that'll need a nice hardwood handle with
metal ferrule. Unfortunately I don't have a lathe to turn the handle myself.
Is there any wood turners in San Francisco who might be interested in doing it for me?
I'll provide wood. I am a custom knife maker and in return can provide you with my
services like tool sharpening etc.

Thanks,
Alex
Posted to rec.woodworking

Do you have the metal ferrule and a full size drawing of the
shape?

You going to do the ferrule pressing?

How long does it need to be?

I'm assuming you also need a hole drilled in the handle as well.

How soon do you need it? Most folks are in Santa's Elf Mode
'til Christmas.

I've got a JET mini lathe that might be big enough if the handle
is 12 inches or shorter.

I'm in San Jose, near the Rte 85 (West Valley Freeway)
and Highway 17.

E-mail me with the specifics and if I can do it I'd be
glad to, no charge - and I've got a 1" belt sander,
india and hard arkansas stones, japanese waterstones,
DMT diamond plates, a Scary Sharp set up, a Tormek
and a JoolTool (that I haven't gotten around to using i
yet) so I've got sharpening pretty well covered.

charlie b
Posted to rec.woodworking

You can customise a drill press to be a very rudimentary wood lathe, and
as you're a custom knife maker I would assume you have a drill press, or
if not, get one as a drill press is invaluable for knife making.

I'm getting ready to do offset turning, to make ovoid grips.

I'm making a CNC machine next year so that I can make some precision
grips for the mass produced knives I want to make to fill a niche.

Regards Charles
P.S. You can talk to me off list about knives, or anything you need
clarification about.

Turned tool handles Alex Woodturning 0 December 22nd 06 09:11 PM
suction handles Val Davies UK diy 3 May 1st 06 08:17 PM
Door Handles Charles Middleton UK diy 6 January 4th 06 12:59 PM
Handles Chris and Patsy Woodturning 7 August 11th 04 09:11 PM
handles Nick Brooks UK diy 7 January 20th 04 05:18 PM