Posted to rec.woodworking

Default using old circular blade

I see on the 'screw fix' website that there cheap mitre saw circular blade
is 190 mm with 16 mm bore. So as a novice i am guessing this must be the
current standard size?

not long ago i bought a Ryobi mitre saw EMS-1425L. The other day a friend
said he has an old circular saw blade that was a high quality one and has
been resharpened, which he has just given me. The size of this one is 235mm
with 15mm bore (by my meaurements).

Is the bore size universally the same? Am i likely to be able to use this
old blade on the Ryobi? (bearing in mind the outside diameter is a bit
different and the bore looks to be 1mm different. thanks for advice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

235mm to 190mm is more than a bit different. The 235mm (9 1/4") simply won't
fit inside the guard of a saw designed for a 190mm (7 1/4") blade unless by
chance you currently happen to have at least 25/30mm clearence above 190mm
blade. If you do have that much clearence it is obviously a 235mm (9 1/4")
saw and blade will fit.

15mm is an odd sized bore. Imperial bore of 5/8" (15.875mm) 16mm is the
metric common size

"JWBH" wrote in message
I see on the 'screw fix' website that there cheap mitre saw circular blade
is 190 mm with 16 mm bore. So as a novice i am guessing this must be the
current standard size?

not long ago i bought a Ryobi mitre saw EMS-1425L. The other day a

friend
said he has an old circular saw blade that was a high quality one and has
been resharpened, which he has just given me. The size of this one is

235mm
with 15mm bore (by my meaurements).

Is the bore size universally the same? Am i likely to be able to use this
old blade on the Ryobi? (bearing in mind the outside diameter is a bit
different and the bore looks to be 1mm different. thanks for advice.

Posted to rec.woodworking

JWBH wrote:

I see on the 'screw fix' website that there cheap mitre saw circular blade
is 190 mm with 16 mm bore. So as a novice i am guessing this must be the
current standard size?

16mm is fairly standard for small (hand-held and pull-over) saws. These
saws are less standard than cabinet saws though. You will also see 20mm
on cheapies, which is common on saws, difficult to find blades for and
best avoided for that reason.

The old standard for big cabinet saws was 5/8" or 15mm. People do fit
16mm blades to these, but they run badly with lots of vibration, the
cuts are bad and it's an unsafe practice you really shouldn't do. It's
now getting harder to find decent 5/8" sawblades in the UK. The modern
standard is 30mm. Fortunately a 5/8" - 30mm adapter is easy and cheap
to get (Axminster) and that's a safe and acceptable way to work.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...

JWBH wrote:
It's
now getting harder to find decent 5/8" sawblades in the UK. The modern
standard is 30mm. Fortunately a 5/8" - 30mm adapter is easy and cheap
to get (Axminster) and that's a safe and acceptable way to work.

A quick note on using bushes for the anwary. Make sure that the bush is
same thickness or thinner than the blade. I have seen many inexperienced
people caught out by this.Even a cpl of thou difference and the flanges will
not clamp properly. I have started machining my own bushes as I am finding
that the accuracy of bushes (both bore and OD) is getting very slack
nowadays. Guess thats what happens when they start pressing them out in th
millions in China.

Bosch circular saw blade Vass UK diy 2 August 23rd 06 12:58 PM
7 1/4" circular saw plywood blade Paul O. Woodworking 8 July 4th 05 12:34 AM
Circular saw and blade recommendations Paul Woodworking 16 November 17th 03 04:41 PM
Dado blade in circular saw Zaf Woodworking 13 August 23rd 03 10:02 PM