Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Unintentionally discovered a woodworking tip.

Well, sort of. It involves loading and unloading plywood and stock
from a trailer.

Last night I completed the last step of the shop move: moving all the
unused plywood, maple, hickory, and other stuff. It was maybe half a
dozen sheets of plywood and about 200bdft of stock. When I got to the
old house, I discovered that I didn't have my gloves. This was
annoying because it was cold. I'm confident that I could have moved
all of it without gloves and not gotten any splinters. But I would
have had to go a lot slower.

After complaining to my wife about the situation, she suggested rubber
gloves. You know the type, the thick yellow rubber ones swmbo uses to
do the dishes. They're thicker than latex surgical gloves, but thin
enough to feel what's happening. I stretched them over my hands and
proceded to move wood. I was surprised by how good they were. They
kept my hands warm (probably too hot in the summer), prevented
splinters, and provided an extra rubbery non-slip grip.

I plan to fix the car with them this weekend.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

brianlanning wrote:
[...]

Expen$ive ! Compare the price of them to the gloves at your FLAPS.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"brianlanning" wrote in message
ups.com...
After complaining to my wife about the situation, she suggested rubber
gloves. You know the type, the thick yellow rubber ones swmbo uses to
do the dishes. They're thicker than latex surgical gloves, but thin
enough to feel what's happening. I stretched them over my hands and
proceded to move wood. I was surprised by how good they were. They
kept my hands warm (probably too hot in the summer), prevented
splinters, and provided an extra rubbery non-slip grip.

I plan to fix the car with them this weekend.

Actually, there's little hotter in warm weather and little colder when you
sweat in them in cold. Sort of like the nomex suits we flyers had to wear.
For EMS, they make cotton liners to absorb the sweat in winter, but even
then there's a lot of numb when working a car accident in the snow.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"brianlanning" wrote in message
ups.com...
Well, sort of. It involves loading and unloading plywood and stock
from a trailer.

Last night I completed the last step of the shop move: moving all the
unused plywood, maple, hickory, and other stuff. It was maybe half a
dozen sheets of plywood and about 200bdft of stock. When I got to the
old house, I discovered that I didn't have my gloves. This was
annoying because it was cold. I'm confident that I could have moved
all of it without gloves and not gotten any splinters. But I would
have had to go a lot slower.

Oh you whoos. What the hell is a splinter or two or three? Real
woodworkers...

After complaining to my wife about the situation, she suggested rubber
gloves. You know the type, the thick yellow rubber ones swmbo uses to
do the dishes. They're thicker than latex surgical gloves, but thin
enough to feel what's happening. I stretched them over my hands and
proceded to move wood. I was surprised by how good they were. They
kept my hands warm (probably too hot in the summer), prevented
splinters, and provided an extra rubbery non-slip grip.

I plan to fix the car with them this weekend.

Actually, I have recently taken to wearing latex gloves for a lot of jobs
that I never did before. I use gloves when painting now - imagine not
having to deal with tinted hands in your professional life... I use latex
gloves now for auto mechanics repairs. Imagine not having all of that
grease under your fingernails and in the cracks of your skin.

As un-manly as gloves sound, I've come to appreciate the benefits of them.
Now I just have to find the right glove compound for the stuff I do.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"brianlanning" wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

There are some gloves you can get with a latex palm/fingers. They work
pretty well for moving wood and keep your grip on slick items. Menards
has them (other places might, just look around.)

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

[...]

Latex is quickly broken down by oil based products. I use nitrile gloves
as they are unaffected by the oil and are a little better for punctures. I
agree that they are nice for not having to clean my hands with a brillo pad
after changing the oil in the truck or working on some greasy, grimey part
that needs replaced on it. Another use I have found is when I am in the
kitchen carving the turkey or boning off a chicken.

Allen

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 02:50:30 GMT, "Allen Roy" wrote:

[...]

Man, the thought of a plywood splinter coming through that plastic glove
gives me shivers. No thanks, that's what leather gloves are for.

Agree with the other comments about using latex/nitrile gloves while
doing "dirty" work -- greasy fingernails are OK if you aren't having to
brief the higher ups or customers, not so much so if that is on your
calendar the Monday after changing out the brakes on the tractor over the
weekend.

.... snip

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Mike Marlow wrote:

"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

In the last 10 years or so nitrile gloves have become very popular with
automotive mechanics and in other occupations with similar exposures &
tool use. The nitrile gloves cost about twice what latex gloves do,
but they last maybe 4 to 6 times as long, being both physically
stronger and more resistant to chemicals. Plus, some people are
allergic to latex, so far I've never heard of allergies to nitrile.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

In the last 10 years or so nitrile gloves have become very popular with
automotive mechanics and in other occupations with similar exposures &
tool use. The nitrile gloves cost about twice what latex gloves do,
but they last maybe 4 to 6 times as long, being both physically
stronger and more resistant to chemicals. Plus, some people are
allergic to latex, so far I've never heard of allergies to nitrile.

You are of course, correct sir. I took the lazy way out and used the old
standby and somewhat familiar term "latex" in a generic sense. I've not
gotten off my duff and purchased any nitrile gloves yet, however I had read
of their superiority over real latex gloves. My bad on both counts.

Correction appreciated.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Walmart is even carrying the nitrile gloves over in
the automotive section... Cheap ...

I use latex for all sorts of things but the nitrile is
mucho better for some things...much tougher.

http://gss-store.com/category/gloves...nitrilegloves/

Mike Marlow wrote:

You are of course, correct sir. I took the lazy way out and used the old
standby and somewhat familiar term "latex" in a generic sense. I've not
gotten off my duff and purchased any nitrile gloves yet, however I had read
of their superiority over real latex gloves. My bad on both counts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:
(snip)

I plan to fix the car with them this weekend.

Actually, I have recently taken to wearing latex gloves for a lot of jobs
that I never did before. I use gloves when painting now - imagine not
having to deal with tinted hands in your professional life... I use latex
gloves now for auto mechanics repairs. Imagine not having all of that
grease under your fingernails and in the cracks of your skin.

As un-manly as gloves sound, I've come to appreciate the benefits of them.
Now I just have to find the right glove compound for the stuff I do.

--

-Mike-

Speaking of "un-manly" equipment, I've become extremely attached to a
set of inexpensive-but-decent knee pads. They're great for jobs on the
floor, under sinks etc. Allow me to bounce up and down during a project
like a teenager. I call them my "old man pads", but in truth they are
"smart, comfortable man - pads" Highly recommended!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mike Marlow wrote:

Actually, I have recently taken to wearing latex gloves for a lot of jobs
that I never did before. I use gloves when painting now - imagine not
having to deal with tinted hands in your professional life... I use latex
gloves now for auto mechanics repairs. Imagine not having all of that
grease under your fingernails and in the cracks of your skin.

Imagine how popular you are at the Swarfega and Lava Hand Soap
factories!

FoggyTown

Posted to rec.woodworking

Consider also the gloves used by masons. They're usually cotton with a
stubbly, non-slip rubber coating on the palms/fingers side only. They're
good in hot weather, okay in cold. You can buy them by the sackful at
the neighborhood big box store.

J.