Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cutting molding - round

Is it possible to cut a curved piece of molding, say for an arch? If
so, can I do it with a run of the mill router and how?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to cut a curved piece of molding, say for an arch? If
so, can I do it with a run of the mill router and how?

Couple of ways. Using a piloted bit on a prepared piece, or making a
template for use with guides. Generally easier in the long run to use the
guide and run it on a table. That way you smooth a 1/4 ply template edge
and use a flush-cutting bit to smooth the thicker wood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Assuming you are talking about a reasonable radius and you are talking about
only cutting from the surface the easiest way would be to use a radius arm
attached to router.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Is it possible to cut a curved piece of molding, say for an arch? If
so, can I do it with a run of the mill router and how?

Posted to rec.woodworking

" wrote in
oups.com:

Is it possible to cut a curved piece of molding, say for an arch? If
so, can I do it with a run of the mill router and how?

Would flexible, plastic moulding do the job?

I recently put a french door in an arched opening, and plastic quarter-
round worked great to hold the transom lights in place. Granted, it's fake,
but at seven feet off the ground, no one will notice.

The hardest part of the job was getting the miters right at the pointy end
of the window.