Posted to rec.woodworking

Default sufficient size for island eating area

I have an island that has 2 levels - a "working area" at 36" and eating
area at 42". Here is a picture of the island. The eating area is
built around the two cabinets which make up the lower level working
area.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...92434605Bdfill

Question: Is a higher level working area width of 17" going to be
enough for eating in comfort? I get 17" with a 12" overhand and a 5"
wall (again, see picture)

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
I have an island that has 2 levels - a "working area" at 36" and eating
area at 42". Here is a picture of the island. The eating area is
built around the two cabinets which make up the lower level working
area.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...92434605Bdfill

Question: Is a higher level working area width of 17" going to be
enough for eating in comfort? I get 17" with a 12" overhand and a 5"
wall (again, see picture)

That's plenty.

www.topworks.ca

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:
wrote:
I have an island that has 2 levels - a "working area" at 36" and eating
area at 42". Here is a picture of the island. The eating area is
built around the two cabinets which make up the lower level working
area.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...92434605Bdfill

Question: Is a higher level working area width of 17" going to be
enough for eating in comfort? I get 17" with a 12" overhand and a 5"
wall (again, see picture)

That's plenty.

www.topworks.ca

measure up the space you use at most meals , 17" deep is usually plenty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an island that has 2 levels - a "working area" at 36" and eating
area at 42". Here is a picture of the island. The eating area is
built around the two cabinets which make up the lower level working
area.

One idea you may wish to consider is that the design does not have any sort
of stop to keep things on the eating surface from sliding on to the working
area. I would consider a short wall topped with a shelf, and the shelf on
top to have a small lip for the same reason.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.