Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cost of Jet Knives

What gives? JET 16" planer knives (set of 3) have gone from $94 (US) to
$154!
Add to that the problem of resharpening them. Jet wants the primary grind at
40
degrees and secondary bevel at 42. The sharpening shops around here do them
at 45.

A neighbor brought over some old horse farm fence boards (poplar), nails
removed.....
Except for 3! He said he would buy me two new sets of blades that I expected
would cost him $200. Now its over $300! I'm going to have to convince him
that
new poplar lumber will be cheaper than trying to reclaim those old creosoted
boards. Ever try to clean creosote off your rollers? YUCK

Jim in the Bluegrass

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Woodhead" wrote in message
What gives? JET 16" planer knives (set of 3) have gone from $94 (US) to
$154!
Add to that the problem of resharpening them. Jet wants the primary grind
at 40
degrees and secondary bevel at 42. The sharpening shops around here do
them at 45.

A neighbor brought over some old horse farm fence boards (poplar), nails
removed.....
Except for 3! He said he would buy me two new sets of blades that I
expected
would cost him $200. Now its over $300! I'm going to have to convince
him that
new poplar lumber will be cheaper than trying to reclaim those old
creosoted
boards. Ever try to clean creosote off your rollers? YUCK

Jim in the Bluegrass

Before you quoted him a price, did you get a price quote your self?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

Before you quoted him a price, did you get a price quote your self?

What do you take me for? A person who thinks before his mouth flaps open???

I have a long history of screwing up. Want to ask me for some investment
advice?

Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Woodhead" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote in message
t...

Before you quoted him a price, did you get a price quote your self?

What do you take me for? A person who thinks before his mouth flaps
open???

I have a long history of screwing up. Want to ask me for some investment
advice?

Jim

;~) We learn from our mistakes. On a similar note I fill my truck about
once every 4 to 5 weeks. Some times the price difference is $4 to $8 to
fill up between those periods.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Woodhead wrote:
What gives? JET 16" planer knives (set of 3) have gone from $94 (US) to
$154!

Do they really need to come from Jet? I have never had a problem with
knives from http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jody" wrote in message
news
Woodhead wrote:
What gives? JET 16" planer knives (set of 3) have gone from $94 (US) to
$154!

Do they really need to come from Jet? I have never had a problem with
knives from http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/planer_knives.html

They don't have the exact size listed. I fired off an email to them.

Thanks!, Jim

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Yup, steel is up all over. Have you seen what's happened to the price of
screws and nails? The builder of my house almost got into a fistfight with
the guy putting the deck in because the builder insisted he shoot 3 nails
into each board instead of just two. He got 3, therefore so did I so we're
both happy. The deck guy on the other hand.......

jc

"Woodhead" wrote in message
What gives? JET 16" planer knives (set of 3) have gone from $94 (US) to
$154!
Add to that the problem of resharpening them. Jet wants the primary grind
at 40
degrees and secondary bevel at 42. The sharpening shops around here do
them at 45.

A neighbor brought over some old horse farm fence boards (poplar), nails
removed.....
Except for 3! He said he would buy me two new sets of blades that I
expected
would cost him $200. Now its over $300! I'm going to have to convince
him that
new poplar lumber will be cheaper than trying to reclaim those old
creosoted
boards. Ever try to clean creosote off your rollers? YUCK

Jim in the Bluegrass

Posted to rec.woodworking

Shop around and do some research. You can often find aftermarket suppliers
for blades. Even better the aftermarket solution might fit another machine
and blades for that machine might be available at a reasonable price.

I have one of the older Ryobi 12-1/4 surface planers. It is from the 'old
Ryobi' and just keeps going after 10-12 years. Ryobi left us high and dry
on factory blades a few years ago and their recommended supplier wants more
than $70 for a set of blades that used to cost $17. I did some Google
research, and got some help from this newsgroup, and found another source --
then I found out that the aftermarket part# also fit a Delta 12-1/4" machine
(one extra hole). My Delta alternative is still available in the stores and
costs about $20/set.

RonB

"Woodhead" wrote in message
What gives? JET 16" planer knives (set of 3) have gone from $94 (US) to
$154!
Add to that the problem of resharpening them. Jet wants the primary grind
at 40
degrees and secondary bevel at 42. The sharpening shops around here do
them at 45.

A neighbor brought over some old horse farm fence boards (poplar), nails
removed.....
Except for 3! He said he would buy me two new sets of blades that I
expected
would cost him $200. Now its over $300! I'm going to have to convince
him that
new poplar lumber will be cheaper than trying to reclaim those old
creosoted
boards. Ever try to clean creosote off your rollers? YUCK

Jim in the Bluegrass

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Dec 2006 20:10:13 -0500, "Woodhead"
wrote:

What gives? JET 16" planer knives (set of 3) have gone from $94 (US) to
$154!
Add to that the problem of resharpening them. Jet wants the primary grind at
40
degrees and secondary bevel at 42. The sharpening shops around here do them
at 45.

Man, that's expensive.

Sounds like a good enough incentive to invest in a small surface
grinder, and make the things yourself. That way, you have all the
knives you'll ever need- plus a new tool.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G5963

Sure, it's got a big price tag- but it wouldn't take too many dinged
sets of knives to recoup the cost at $150+ a set.
Posted to rec.woodworking

What gives? JET 16" planer knives (set of 3) have gone from $94 (US) to
$154!
Add to that the problem of resharpening them. Jet wants the primary grind
at
40
degrees and secondary bevel at 42. The sharpening shops around here do
them
at 45.

Man, that's expensive.

Sounds like a good enough incentive to invest in a small surface
grinder, and make the things yourself. That way, you have all the
knives you'll ever need- plus a new tool.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/G5963

Sure, it's got a big price tag- but it wouldn't take too many dinged
sets of knives to recoup the cost at $150+ a set.

Neat idea...except that for most planer blades, that grinder won't work very
well. The link is to a 6X12 grinder, which with a very carefully made
fixture, will let you sharpen 3 13" blades but not the 16" blades of the OP.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

"The Davenport's" wrote in
:

[...]

Two ideas:

Can't the knives be resharpened, say, by a commercial sharpening
service?

And wouldn't they also be a source of new knife stock?

Not everything needs to come shrinkwrapped.

Patriarch,
owner of one of those less expensive planers...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 13 Dec 2006 21:23:52 -0600, "The Davenport's"
wrote:

[...]

Should have looked closer, I guess. They make bigger ones, of course-
I just picked the smallest and least expensive to link to.

Surface Plate Cost/Shipping Cost [email protected] Metalworking 5 March 5th 06 10:19 PM
Molding knives RoyJ Metalworking 8 January 10th 06 01:13 AM
Cost of Heating oil; Cost of lumber? Phil Woodworking 82 August 28th 05 05:32 AM
U.T. knives.. Leonardo Home Repair 4 February 22nd 05 04:50 AM
Air-jet versus whirpool-jet Newsreader Home Repair 1 October 20th 04 04:59 PM