chipsmith

Default 3 phase motor question???

I haven't a clue about motor phase but was wondering if there is a way I
can make use of a 3 phase motor in my shop. This will ,possibly, be for
a dust collector system. I have a 200 amp service in my home. Do I need
to convert the motor to single phase??? Is this possible in any way to
make use of this motor regardless of what I use it for? Wondering in
upstate NY. Work safe you all. Chipsmith

Tom Plamann

"chipsmith" wrote in message
I haven't a clue about motor phase but was wondering if there

is a way I
can make use of a 3 phase motor in my shop. This will

,possibly, be for
a dust collector system. I have a 200 amp service in my home.

Do I need
to convert the motor to single phase??? Is this possible in

any way to
make use of this motor regardless of what I use it for?

Wondering in
upstate NY. Work safe you all. Chipsmith

Chipsmith

Try this link.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...275030&sort=pr
ice

I have used the static converters from them with success.

Tom Plamann
www.plamann.com

Rick

The price on variable frequency drives keeps dropping. Here is a 1 HP 230V
single phase input, 3-phase output drive:
http://web5.automationdirect.com/store/Shopping/Catalog/Drives/AC_Micro_Drives_(GS_Series)/GS1_Drives/GS1-21P0

In addition to being able to vary the motor speed without changing belts,
you have the ability to use the braking function to stop the motor much
faster than it coasting to a stop, three wire (magnetic contactor style)
on-off control (24 volt), and overload protection built in.

Here's another, for up to 3 HP ... this one is single or 3-phase input,
3-phase output:
http://web5.automationdirect.com/store/Shopping/Catalog/Drives/AC_Micro_Drives_(GS_Series)/GS2_Drives/GS2-23P0

Please note the Grizzly static inverters are rated for 70% continuous HP and
90% intermittent HP, the variable frequency drive is rated for 175% starting
torque.

HTH,

Rick

"chipsmith" wrote in message
I haven't a clue about motor phase but was wondering if there is a way I
can make use of a 3 phase motor in my shop. This will ,possibly, be for
a dust collector system. I have a 200 amp service in my home. Do I need
to convert the motor to single phase??? Is this possible in any way to
make use of this motor regardless of what I use it for? Wondering in
upstate NY. Work safe you all. Chipsmith

David A. Frantz

Hi Chip

I have to wonder where the rest of the dust collection system is and what
size motor you are talking about.

You won't be converting the motor to single phase.

As far as using the motor I have no idea as you have not indicated what
size it is nor its voltage rating. Its not beyond the range of
possibilities to have a 550V rated three phase motor even though the most
likely rating is 220/440.

If the given motor fits within a resonable set of parameters you may be
able to run the motor off a variable frequency drive (VFD). These are
literally getting cheaper every day, but a dust colector probally isn't
the best application for this technology. Once you have a variable
frequency drive you would be better off using the motor to drive a machine
where that feature would be usefull.

Thanks
dave

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 12:13:06 +0000, chipsmith wrote:

I haven't a clue about motor phase but was wondering if there is a way I
can make use of a 3 phase motor in my shop. This will ,possibly, be for
a dust collector system. I have a 200 amp service in my home. Do I need
to convert the motor to single phase??? Is this possible in any way to
make use of this motor regardless of what I use it for? Wondering in
upstate NY. Work safe you all. Chipsmith

Nova

Dominic Palazzola wrote:

everyone had great answers, however for the price of the static converter
you can buy a new motor. so what's the point?

You buy one static convertor and then you can run all of the three phase
machines that you can pick up dirt cheap at auctions.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Michael Burton

chipsmith wrote in :

I haven't a clue about motor phase but was wondering if there is a way I
can make use of a 3 phase motor in my shop. This will ,possibly, be for
a dust collector system. I have a 200 amp service in my home. Do I need
to convert the motor to single phase??? Is this possible in any way to
make use of this motor regardless of what I use it for? Wondering in
upstate NY. Work safe you all. Chipsmith

Try this link if you like to tinker.

http://www.metalwebnews.com/howto/ph-conv/ph-conv.html
Marc A. Ohmann

If you plan on running more 3-phase equipment you could consider
purchasing a phase converter. Otherwise you could replace the motor
with 1-phase version but with the prices of dust collectors these days
thats probably not economical.

A static phase converter will only help start a 3-phase motor.
3-phase motors start without a capacitor because they can produce more
starting torque than 1-phase. You could do this same thing by jump
starting the motor with another motor to get it spinning. Once the
motor is spinning it runs on 1-phase and produces less hp and more
heat.

A rotory phase converter will actually produce a 3rd sin wave so the
motor will start on its own and run at ~90% of its rated hp. In order
for any of this to work the 3-phase motor has to be tapped for 208-230
wiring.

A rotary phase converter wouldn't be a bad purchase considering the
generally lower cost and higher availability of used 3-phase
equipment. Just remember to buy a converter with more hp than you
will ever need to run at the same time. If you don't want to buy one,
you can build one with another 3-phase motor. If you don't care so
much about efficiency you can skip all the fine tuning and the
purchase of the large capacitors and just wire the motors together.

-------------------- ---------------------

220V 1-phase phase conv --------------------- weak 3-phase
220
motor
-------------------- ---------------------

I can't remember all the wire numbering off the top of my head but you
can google for that.

Marc

chipsmith wrote in message ...
I haven't a clue about motor phase but was wondering if there is a way I
can make use of a 3 phase motor in my shop. This will ,possibly, be for
a dust collector system. I have a 200 amp service in my home. Do I need
to convert the motor to single phase??? Is this possible in any way to
make use of this motor regardless of what I use it for? Wondering in
upstate NY. Work safe you all. Chipsmith

Testing 3 phase motors Pal Metalworking 1 July 11th 04 11:50 PM
3 phase electrics jacob UK diy 10 May 18th 04 04:46 PM
General stuff on phase converters Bob Swinney Metalworking 2 November 25th 03 07:51 PM
Upgrade to a three phase domestic supply? Pandora UK diy 32 October 5th 03 02:33 AM
3 phase 240VAC to 120 VAC single phase? Jack Fisher Metalworking 13 July 16th 03 05:49 PM