Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Small band saw

Have a 14" BS, but SWMBO would like to make another doll house. Looked at
Delta SM400, a 9". $100 @ Amazon. Only one review at Amazon, and negative
at that. Anyone have any input on this saw? Or another one....Thanks Rick

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Have a 14" BS, but SWMBO would like to make another doll house. Looked at
Delta SM400, a 9". $100 @ Amazon. Only one review at Amazon, and negative
at that. Anyone have any input on this saw? Or another one....Thanks
Rick

You can't make a doll house with a 14" BS?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Have a 14" BS, but SWMBO would like to make another doll house. Looked at
Delta SM400, a 9". $100 @ Amazon. Only one review at Amazon, and negative
at that. Anyone have any input on this saw? Or another one....Thanks
Rick

I'm confused, you have a 14" BS and you want to buy a 9 incher for your
wife?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Rick Samuel" wrote in message
Have a 14" BS, but SWMBO would like to make another doll house. Looked at
Delta SM400, a 9". $100 @ Amazon. Only one review at Amazon, and negative
at that. Anyone have any input on this saw? Or another one....Thanks
Rick

I'm confused, you have a 14" BS and you want to buy a 9 incher for your
wife?

My wife would love to have a 9 incher.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006 22:08:28 -0600, "Rick Samuel"
wrote:

Have a 14" BS, but SWMBO would like to make another doll house. Looked at
Delta SM400, a 9". $100 @ Amazon. Only one review at Amazon, and negative
at that. Anyone have any input on this saw? Or another one....Thanks Rick

For a doll house I'd imagine internal cuts for windows.. maybe a
scroll saw would be better. For a smaller band saw I'd look at the
rikon 10", but my ryobi 9" has served me well.

-Leuf

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 22:08:28 -0600, Rick Samuel wrote:

Have a 14" BS, but SWMBO would like to make another doll house. Looked
at Delta SM400, a 9". $100 @ Amazon. Only one review at Amazon, and
negative at that. Anyone have any input on this saw? Or another
one....Thanks Rick

My first reaction is to get a scroll saw.

If you've got *block* guides on your 14" there isn't anything that the
SM400 will do that the 14" won't and the 14 should do all of them better.

If you've got *roller* guides on your 14", it probably can't use a 1/16"
blade--most with roller guides can only go as narrow as 1/8--in that case,
if it _has_ to be a band saw the SM400 might not be a bad choice--with
wider blades it's probably not too good but a 1/16 doesn't need a lot of
force to tension properly.

Rather than buy another band saw just to use a single very narrow blade
though I'd go for a scroll saw that's designed for that kind of work.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Have a 14" BS, but SWMBO would like to make another doll house. Looked at
Delta SM400, a 9". $100 @ Amazon. Only one review at Amazon, and negative
at that. Anyone have any input on this saw? Or another one....Thanks Rick

More negative input, but I don't want to get too into it.

For a dollhouse, maybe you'd be better off with a scroll saw- I don't
know for certain, but I would imagine that *none* of the small
bandsaws are very good.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Have a 14" BS, but SWMBO would like to make another doll house. Looked
at
Delta SM400, a 9". $100 @ Amazon. Only one review at Amazon, and negative
at that. Anyone have any input on this saw? Or another one....Thanks
Rick

More negative input, but I don't want to get too into it.

For a dollhouse, maybe you'd be better off with a scroll saw- I don't
know for certain, but I would imagine that *none* of the small
bandsaws are very good.

I have no first hand knowledge either, but Mark Duginske features one in his
tape, Mastering Your Bandsaw. I doubt it was a $100 tool though.

Band Saw EdG Woodworking 19 November 23rd 06 03:31 AM
small gloat and small problem toller Woodworking 12 June 9th 05 04:10 AM
Help me choose a small band saw NetMagi Woodworking 21 December 9th 04 11:35 AM
band saw engmtccsc Woodworking 4 October 2nd 04 11:47 AM
Grizzly Band Saw Riser (Extension) works great with the HD Ridgid Band Saw!! [email protected] Woodworking 5 September 30th 04 12:45 AM