Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Repairing Your Own Power Tools

I have recently taken a few of my " broken" tools apart. Specifically
a Milwaukee Sawzall that seemed to be dead, and a Dewalt cordless drill
that was almost dead. The carbon brushes on the Dewalt looked pretty
bad. If I change them will that improve the power of the drill?
As for the sawzall, the brushes don't look that bad. What else should
I be checking?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Marmie wrote:
I have recently taken a few of my " broken" tools apart. Specifically
a Milwaukee Sawzall that seemed to be dead, and a Dewalt cordless drill
that was almost dead. The carbon brushes on the Dewalt looked pretty
bad. If I change them will that improve the power of the drill?
As for the sawzall, the brushes don't look that bad. What else should
I be checking?

Brushes are considered a wearing item.

Frequent replacement is low cost insurance.

After that, switches and cords get the most abuse.

With any power hand tool, blow out the dust frequently.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Usually on the Sawzall it is the switch that goes bad most often. I would
start there and while you are at it put a new cord and brushes on. After
that is the armature which is right around the price of a new saw (depending
on model). Go to www.milwaukeetool.com to find a parts list.

Allen
"Marmie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have recently taken a few of my " broken" tools apart. Specifically
a Milwaukee Sawzall that seemed to be dead, and a Dewalt cordless drill
that was almost dead. The carbon brushes on the Dewalt looked pretty
bad. If I change them will that improve the power of the drill?
As for the sawzall, the brushes don't look that bad. What else should
I be checking?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Marmie wrote:
I have recently taken a few of my " broken" tools apart. Specifically
a Milwaukee Sawzall that seemed to be dead, and a Dewalt cordless drill
that was almost dead. The carbon brushes on the Dewalt looked pretty
bad. If I change them will that improve the power of the drill?
As for the sawzall, the brushes don't look that bad. What else should
I be checking?

troubleshoot from the wall plug out. get a multimeter- it's a great
thing to have. check that power is getting to the switch- if not, find
out why. check that power is getting out of the switch- if not, get a
switch, or take the switch apart and see what's wrong inside.

seems to be dead isn't much information.....

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
ups.com...

Marmie wrote:
I have recently taken a few of my " broken" tools apart. Specifically
a Milwaukee Sawzall that seemed to be dead, and a Dewalt cordless drill
that was almost dead. The carbon brushes on the Dewalt looked pretty
bad. If I change them will that improve the power of the drill?
As for the sawzall, the brushes don't look that bad. What else should
I be checking?

troubleshoot from the wall plug out. get a multimeter- it's a great
thing to have. check that power is getting to the switch- if not, find
out why. check that power is getting out of the switch- if not, get a
switch, or take the switch apart and see what's wrong inside.

seems to be dead isn't much information.....

When you change the brushes, get out the magnifying glass and check out the
commutator (what the brushes rub against). Worn out brushes can "smear" the
metal on the commutator, causing the fields to short out. Under the
magnifying glass, remove any metal that may appear to bridge across the
spaces between the fields, being careful to not cut deep enough to score any
wires between the fields. You also have to be careful to not leave any
raised metal that might prematurely wear out the brushes or cause another
bridge. It's a lot easier than it sounds. I've revived many old tools this
way.

The most common cause for tool failure is that the tool is misused and
overheated, causing the insulation on the windings or elsewhere to melt,
creating a short in the system, and a lack of power or a complete
malfunction of the tool. This is generally not repairable.

Variable speed controls are another weak point of many tools. They give up
pretty quickly if overheated or even overused. Many are easily replaced if
the tool is worth the cost.

Disclaimer: I'm not an electrician and don't recomment anybody follow any
of these repair suggestions if they might be electrocuted or even slightly
burned or singed, etc.

Happy Woodworking! (There should be a designated holiday).

GW

Old power tools - any use? [email protected] UK diy 4 May 28th 06 03:52 AM
Install basement dehumidifier? (power tools, tools, damp air) Thomas G. Marshall Woodworking 10 January 4th 06 06:12 PM
Power Tools B.B. Metalworking 0 January 31st 05 02:34 AM
power-tools john UK diy 46 May 13th 04 04:25 PM