Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Where can I buy a stand up router table

Title says it all. I just bought a new router and now want a table.
Not one of the short standing ones that u need to put on top of
something to use. My dad has a craftsman table that is about 4' tall
but he said he doesn't think they are available anymore. Does anyone
know of a different brand?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Title says it all. I just bought a new router and now want a table.
Not one of the short standing ones that u need to put on top of
something to use. My dad has a craftsman table that is about 4' tall
but he said he doesn't think they are available anymore. Does anyone
know of a different brand?

I bought the Bosch router table, then built a stand to put it in. The stand
cost me less to build than the Bosch stand, as I used a lot of spare lumber
I had lying around. The stand is an enclosed cabinet (i.e. thee sides and
a pair of doors on the fourth) on locking casters with two shelves. One
shelf in the cabinet is just the perfect size to hold the case the router
set came in (purely accidental - gotta love it when it works out though .
I use the other shelf for bits and various other router tools, including
small screws and springs. I put ledges on the shelves so nothing rolls
off.

Took me a lazy day to do - no glue, just 2x4s screwed together for the
frame, 1/4" plywood for the sides, and 3/4" plywood for the shelves and
top.

The Bosch stand is just a bare table with a single shelf. The shelf is
useless for about anything except holding the case for the router.
Anything small or light will fall off.

I can send you photos of it if you like.
--
Michael White "To protect people from the effects of folly is to
fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

Does anyone have the plans handy for the Norm style router table?

The NYW does.

Built an early version which works quite well.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Posted to rec.woodworking
JGS JGS is offline

Here are a few ideas. JG
http://www.jessem.com/rout_r_tables.htm

http://www.jessem.com/mast_r_lift_excel.htm

http://www.jessem.com/mite_r_slide.htm

wrote in message
oups.com...
Title says it all. I just bought a new router and now want a table.
Not one of the short standing ones that u need to put on top of
something to use. My dad has a craftsman table that is about 4' tall
but he said he doesn't think they are available anymore. Does anyone
know of a different brand?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Does anyone
know of a different brand?

Yours!

This is a _GREAT_ opportunity to make something. You can even make it
at exactly your preferred height.

For a basic model, all you need is maybe one sheet of 3/4" MDF, some
scrap hardwood, and some laminate, all available at any Borg.

For the top, laminate two sheets of 3/4" MDF, attach 3/4 x 1 1/2"
hardwood trim all around, and laminate both sides with plastic laminate.
Buy an "insert" that fits your router and install it per the
manufacturer's instructions.

A fence can be as simple as a jointed piece of stock, an elaborate
shopmade version from one of the 400 "Ultimate Router Table" magazine
articles, or purchased.

The cabinet is a box! You can go crazy with beautifully dovetailed
drawers and frame and panel sides, or stay with a simple MDF or plywood
box with a single access door. Make or buy a "remote switch", and
you're good to go. Remote switches are easily made with a single box,
one of those duplex switches that is a switch and single outlet, and an
extension cord.

Don't like the height? Make different cabinet box. Don't like the
table? Think out your likes and dislikes, and reuse the insert and
fence on your next one.

Take a look at the Bench Dog tables at a local tool store. You can do
it, there is no wrong answer. Go for it! G

Posted to rec.woodworking

This is similar to what I did. I found some a counter shop with some
Corian they didn't mind selling me, and I built my own tabletop with it
and some 3/4" plywood. I then build a stand for the top from a few 2x4
studs, and it stands around 3.5-4' tall. It's pretty nice not being
forced to bend down over my router when I'm pushing a bunch of wood
through it.

I even built myself a fence. It was surprisingly easy to do.

I need to address the whole dust problem, but I'm thinking a simple box
will take care of that.

B A R R Y wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Also in the DIY category -- from Fine Woodworking magazine:
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...F.aspx?id=2758

I think it was in a recent FWW issue, too.

Pat Barber wrote:
http://www.twistedknotwoodshop.com/router.htm

It's not the Norm table but it is free.... and
it is VERY close to the Norm table...

[snip]

Posted to rec.woodworking

They're at

http://webpages.charter.net/michael.white/img_0569.jpg (front)
http://webpages.charter.net/michael.white/img_0570.jpg (inside cabinet)
http://webpages.charter.net/michael.white/img_0571.jpg (top)
http://webpages.charter.net/michael.white/img_0572.jpg (back)
http://webpages.charter.net/michael.white/img_0573.jpg (side)

The only one I cropped down is the first (to about 350 K). The others are
pretty much straight from the camera (about 2 MB).

I used a piece of angle iron (like the one in the back of the cabinet
holding on the back piece of plywood) to hold the middle shelf ledge in
place.

I've been happy with this design, and re-used it for a jointer, sans wheels
(needed more stability).
--

Michael White wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
Title says it all. I just bought a new router and now want a table.
Not one of the short standing ones that u need to put on top of
something to use. My dad has a craftsman table that is about 4' tall
but he said he doesn't think they are available anymore. Does anyone
know of a different brand?

My shop is too small for a permanent dedicated router table. I keep
meaning to build a combination table saw/router table station but
people keep asking me to build them stuff.

I make do with a piece of 7/8 melamine that used to be part of a
computer desk, with a cutout i made for a rousseau router plate mounted
to a Hitachi - with a router raizer - supported by my workmate 550.
When I don't need a table, the router and bits live in a big drawer
underneath the SCMS, the workmate folds up and the tabletop goes up on
the lumber rack. Takes about five minutes to set it back up. Oh, and I
made a fence/dust collector that hangs on the wall but usually just
ductaping the shopvac hose in the right place gets all the shavings.

The more I work with that setup the harder it is to justify that table
saw/router station. I haven't found a task I'm unable to do with it. I
suppose if I run across a project that calls for hours upon hours of
router table work, it will seem a little more primitive.

Well, there were those times when the workmate was holding the top for
the workbench I was building, and when I used it to stored the bed for
the Griz jointer while I was hunting down somebody to help me get it
assembled. That was several weeks when I didn't have a router table
available. Or a workmate, for that matter. But it didn't hinder me much.