Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Progress on Captain's Bed

It's been a while since my last update on this project. I just finished
and installed the footboard today. Updated web page, scroll to the bottom
for latest pictures:

http://mklange.cnc.net/CaptainsBed.html

I'm not totally happy with the pictures, the room is rather small and the
footboard had to be installed in the room since the bed is already
installed.

Other projects: http://mklange.cnc.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

It's been a while since my last update on this project. I just finished
and installed the footboard today. Updated web page, scroll to the bottom
for latest pictures:

http://mklange.cnc.net/CaptainsBed.html

Very nice and I like your choice of hardware.
A couple of questions though. Where does the alarm clock set? I am
thinking about doing the same type set up for our bed and realize that
drawers near the head of the bead pretty much eliminate the possibility of
night stands on either side. Will the head board have hidden storage?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 14:32:51 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .

It's been a while since my last update on this project. I just finished
and installed the footboard today. Updated web page, scroll to the bottom
for latest pictures:

http://mklange.cnc.net/CaptainsBed.html

Very nice and I like your choice of hardware.
A couple of questions though. Where does the alarm clock set? I am
thinking about doing the same type set up for our bed and realize that
drawers near the head of the bead pretty much eliminate the possibility of
night stands on either side. Will the head board have hidden storage?

Thanks for your comments. I went through a large number of hardware
candidates and wound up ordering samples of a number of the most promising
ones; you can't beat being able to fondle and view the merchandise. In the
end, our son (10 years old) also had some input into the decision; we
reserved veto power, but his choice was pleasing to all of us.

It's not easy to see on the CAD drawing, but the headboard will have two
shelves. One will be at pillow-level, the second is 1/2 above that. The
depth will not be excessive (about 4 inches), but deep enough to hold a box
of Kleenex, a phone, and/or an alarm clock.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message

It's been a while since my last update on this project. I just finished
and installed the footboard today. Updated web page, scroll to the bottom
for latest pictures:

http://mklange.cnc.net/CaptainsBed.html

Very nice. One question, as I'm in the midst of a interminable captain's
bed project for my little girl:

How are you attaching the head/footboards to the cabinet base? It's causing
me no end of worry.

Jason

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 23 Dec 2006 05:23:00 -0600, "Jason Quick"
wrote:

"Mark & Juanita" wrote in message
.. .

It's been a while since my last update on this project. I just finished
and installed the footboard today. Updated web page, scroll to the bottom
for latest pictures:

http://mklange.cnc.net/CaptainsBed.html

Very nice. One question, as I'm in the midst of a interminable captain's
bed project for my little girl:

How are you attaching the head/footboards to the cabinet base? It's causing
me no end of worry.

Jason

Thanks for the comments.

I used inserts and connector bolts to attach the footboard and will do
the same for the headboard.. The inserts are attached to the
head/footboard and the bolts inserted through the inside of the cabinet
base. For the footboard, I used 4 inserts. On the headboard, I will
probably use more. This seems a reasonable approach since the head and
footboards only serve an esthetic rather than structural function. I
located the insert and bolt holes by clamping the footboard to the bed,
then drilling pilot holes through the base cabinet into the footboard.

This approach does mean that you need some structural part of the
footboard in contact with the base cabinet for some reasonable length.

Brass inserts:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=363&SearchHandle=DADBDBDDDADADDDG DIDIGCGDGGDJDHDECNGCDFDCGECNDEGBDIGGCNDIDHGDDJCNDJ DDDFDJDHDEDDDDDEGBDDGFDADADADBDADADADBDCGCHCGBHDHD CAGJGOHDGFHCHEDADADADEDADADADADADADADBDFDADADADBDA DADADADADADADADADADADADBDADADADBDCGCHCGBHDHDCAGJGO HDGFHCHEDADADADBDB&filter=brass%20insert

Connector Bolts:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=368&SearchHandle=DADADJDHDADADDDG DJDBGEDEDIGBDADECNGDDCDEDJCNDEDFGEGBCNGCGBDBDDCNDI DBDJDCDDDFGEGCGFDBGBDEDADADADBDADADADADEGCGPGMHEDA DADADEDADADADADADADADBDFDADADADBDADADADADADADADADA DADADADBDADADADADEGCGPGMHEDADADADBDB&filter=bolt