Posted to rec.woodworking
gus gus is offline

Default General International 15-250 Sander

Anyone have one of these? I have a new one, and am having a terrible
time getting it to work right. Keeps throwing the sanding rolls off the
drum. I replaced the retention clips - better, but still a problem.

Looking at other posts, and talking to GI, it seems the issue is
"trying
to take off off too much material". Yes, and I know this is a sander
not
a planer. But I'd appreciate suggestions on adjustment and operator
technique. This thing is so damn sensitive that an eighth of a turn of
the
handwheel can be the difference between no sanding and throwing the
sanding roll!

Also, the GI sanding rolls for the machine are 4" wide, and damn
expensive, while most of the aftermarket rolls seem to be 3" wide.
Is it possible to use 3" wide sandpaper rolls with this machine?

Lastly, I want to use this machine for finish sanding. What grits
on the two drums do people use?