Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Need Suggestions For Pricing A New (2-Year-Old) Tablesaw I'm Selling

I've been trying to sell this "new", 2-year-old, tablesaw and mobile
base for a while without success. They've been advertised on eBay, on
craigslist, in the local paper, and altho I get a reply or two, so far,
No Sale!

Here's the story: I bought this saw and mobile base 2 years ago with
plans to build a workshop in my garage. But soon after I got them, we
decided to move, and sadly our new house does not have room for a
workshop. So even tho they're 2-years-old, they are essentially "brand
new", since they are still sealed in their original boxes.

Jet 10" Left-Tilt SuperSaw, with 30" MicroGlide Fence
Model JWSS-10LFR, Stock # 708770
Details and Specs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

Jet Heavy Duty Universal Mobile Base
Model JMB-UMB-HD, Stock # 708119
Details and Specs:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=228013

The current Amazon price for these two items is $1,070. I've been
asking $750, and because it's a private sale, there's NO taxes and NO
shipping charges (if picked up). The saw itself weighs 350#, so
shipping all 5 boxes would be expensive, which is why I've been
suggesting pickup in my ads.

I realize I could probably sell them fast if I was asking $200 or some
other ridiculous figure, but they are basically "new" ... so $300 off
the current retail price seems reasonable to me.

If not, what do you think a fair price should be?

Posted to rec.woodworking

bw-fl wrote:
I've been trying to sell this "new", 2-year-old, tablesaw and mobile
base for a while without success. They've been advertised on eBay, on
craigslist, in the local paper, and altho I get a reply or two, so far,
No Sale!

Have you contacted a local woodworking club? Our's has a email service
when things like this come up.

What part of the US are you in?

MJ Wallace

Posted to rec.woodworking

bw-fl wrote:

I realize I could probably sell them fast if I was asking $200 or some
other ridiculous figure, but they are basically "new" ... so $300 off
the current retail price seems reasonable to me.

The downside is that the new buyer has no warranty coverage, and if
anything is wrong (bent rails, misalligned pulley, shipping damage,
etc.) they have no real recourse against Jet since the warranty period
is long expired.

It would almost be preferable if you *had* set up the saw and used it,
as you would have thus ensured that the saw works properly while it was
still under warranty.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 30 Nov 2006 12:54:58 -0800, "bw-fl"
wrote:

[...]

Well, as a Seller we always wonder why someone would not take the $300
in savings.
However, if I were local and looking for a saw i probably would not be
interested either. $300 is not sufficient to make it interesting
enough to give up new/new, a warranty, and the peace of mind that it
is not stolen, etc.
I'd guess that you would get some action at $600, or, hold-out and
wait for someone on a budget.
It's a shame but thats the reality, IMO. They say that the moment we
drive a new car off the lot, the sale value drops by 20%. Same issue.

Good Luck
Posted to rec.woodworking

"bw-fl" wrote in message
oups.com...
(snip)

You moved into a new house with no room for a workshop???

What were you thinking???
That would be as crazy to me as buying a house with no room for a kitchen!

Mekon

Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

Oh I can solve your problem. Box it up and send it freight due to me. I will
gladly take it off your hands. Of course I won't be able to pay you for it
but at least it's out of your hair.
))))
"bw-fl" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

$198.00.

"bw-fl" wrote in message
oups.com...
I realize I could probably sell them fast if I was asking $200
If not, what do you think a fair price should be?

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Selling on Ebay for pick up only is a loser. You cut out too many
buyers. Offer to freight it using Freightquote.com ....I get pretty
reasonable rates thru them. You should be able to ship it to most of
the US for $100-150. The cheapest quotes will be from a business to
another business, you can get around not shipping it from a business
by banding it to a pallet and taking it to the nearest trucking
terminal. They will take it off of your pickup with a forklift. Do a
little homework before offering to freight it.
You can put a freightquote freight calculator in the auction.
Consider putting the starting bid at $99-399 and be willing to accept
what it sells for. I have had items not sell at a $900 starting bid
and I relisted with a $99 starting bid and they sold for over $1100
Bidding frienzy is amazing sometimes.
I buy and sell industrial equipment for an ebay powerseller. I also
have a woodworking business and am personally an ebay powerseller.
I have a fair amount of experience shipping freight and buying and
selling on Ebay.

Good luck,
Frank