Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ply thickness for laminating curve

Hi!

I am going to be making some curved arms for a morris chair and will be
laminating these to create the curve. The arc will be about 36" long
and have a height of about 3" at the center if laid flat (both ends
touching the same surface). The arm will be 1" thick.

What thickness would be appropriate for the plies that will make up the
arm? I was thinking 1/4 inch plies would be sufficient to provide the
flexibility necessary. Could I go thicker? Any other considerations?

Thanks!

D'ohBoy

Posted to rec.woodworking

What thickness would be appropriate for the plies that will make up the
arm? I was thinking 1/4 inch plies would be sufficient to provide the
flexibility necessary. Could I go thicker? Any other considerations?

1/4" laminations should be fine for this project.

I agree - 1/4" should be good.
I've heard that Weldwood Plastic Resin glue is supposed to be ideal for
laminations, but I haven't tried it. Search the archives here for more
info.
Are you going to use edgebanding or something to hide the visible
laminated edges? You might try a small test piece to see how visible
the layers are.
Good luck,
Andy