Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

Default thicknessing MDF - rough on planer blades?

I've a ton of 3/4" termite barf and I was wondering if anyone has
thicknessed this on their planer. I'm assuming the final results are fine,
based on how well the stuff routes, but how hard is MDF on planer blades?
If it's an 'instant dull', I may just go pick up some 1/2" .

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message
I've a ton of 3/4" termite barf and I was wondering if anyone has
thicknessed this on their planer. I'm assuming the final results are
fine, based on how well the stuff routes, but how hard is MDF on planer
blades? If it's an 'instant dull', I may just go pick up some 1/2" .
3

MDF is real hard on everything including you planer blades.
Keep in mind that as you plane down that the inner section of MDF is more
coarse and will not be as smooth as the outer surfaces. A finer material is
used on the outer surfaces.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon is right. There are several types of MDF available from your
local supplier, the most common being the faced variety which gives it
a more polished and harder appearance on the front and back. This is
from the way the cheap stuff is manufactured.

By the time you are cutting just below the factory surface of your
piece, you will be cutting into a substance that will be very powdery
and will not clear your machine as a cutting or chip. The powdered
material and its embedded resins will eat your blades in no time.

Worse, you would probably hate the junk left behind after planing.
(DAMHIKT). MDF is cheap, go buy the 1/2".

Robert