Posted to rec.woodworking

Default I love my Ridgid random orbit sander

I bought a Ridgid ROS last year, but didn't get around to using it for
anything until now. Wow. I never thought the dust collection thing
would actually do anything, but the dust didn't fly into the air and it
didn't wind up on me. Plus variable speed; I like that. I may never
use my 1/4 sheet sander again.

Satisfied customer,
Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a Ridgid ROS last year, but didn't get around to using it for
anything until now. Wow. I never thought the dust collection thing
would actually do anything, but the dust didn't fly into the air and it
didn't wind up on me. Plus variable speed; I like that. I may never
use my 1/4 sheet sander again.

I sold my 1/4 sheet sander because I didn't use it in several years.
I am not sure the point of variable speed though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Toller wrote:

I sold my 1/4 sheet sander because I didn't use it in several years.
I am not sure the point of variable speed though.

It helps a lot with the control of the cut. If you have a piece of 80
grit on the machine and you are surfacing, it is a blessing to be able
to open up the rpms and tear off the surface in an open field. But
when you get to the edges, a small slip with the machine wide open will
cut off or bevel over an edge. (Think refinishing a door here). It is
nice to be able to do the heavy cutting at high rpms, and as you refine
the surface and change grits, slow it down to be less aggressive.

Also. I like the slower speeds when sanding today's micro thin veneered
plywood and doors. With the ultra sharp Mirka papers and Klingspor
papers it is easy to sand right through as it is, and higher rpms make
it a sure bet if you have a problem piece. Lower rpms help you control
how much you remove because you are removing material more slowly.

Robert

Posted to rec.woodworking

I sold my 1/4 sheet sander because I didn't use it in several years.
I am not sure the point of variable speed though.

I've found it to be useful. It allows me to power sand at 320 between coats
of finish. Full-speed would be just a bit too agressive

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

Ken Yee wrote:
Is this the 5" one or the 6" one?
The 6" one has a 1/8" rotation mode that supposedly gives a smooth
finish...

I think mine's the 5". Model 2600.

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking

Whiel I have had good sanding experiences with the R2600, Anyone have
trouble with using the dust collection port attached to a shop vacuum?
I have now had 2 of the R2600's die when I plugged in my shop vac into
the dust collection port. It seems like the suction caused enough
resistance on the motor that it "burned" out. I got the first one
replaced under the 90 day return policy and I didn't try the vacuum
attached mode again until this weekend and guess what... it happened
again. This time I can't just take it back to the store but must either
go through the warranty service or order the parts and do it myself. I
took it all a part (pretty simple machine actually!) and could find no
obvious mechanical problems. So the only electronics are a PC board
associated with the switch or the armature itself. Both are about $25
parts from Ridgidparts. I'd rather order 1 and not both to find out I
only need one.
My best guess is that something blew on the PC board but it could be
perhaps a short in the armature windings maybe?
Can anyone tell me what the resistance of the armature should be in one
that isn't broken? I meaured mine to be about 4 Ohms on adjacent
armature contacts and about 8 ohms on contacts on opposite sides of the
armature.
I'd appreciate any info! Thanks in advance!
-DB