Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Projects for a ten year old

My son loves making items and is very artistic. I bought his a junior
woodworking tool set but unfortunately it has just sat there as I am
unsure as to what to help him to make. All the woodworking magazines
are for adults. I do not have a lot of money to buy big pieces of wood
for projects.

Can any help me either by suggesting a project that will not require
much wood or pointing me in the right direction for a group he can
join.

Regards

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

wrote:
My son loves making items and is very artistic. I bought his a junior
woodworking tool set but unfortunately it has just sat there as I am
unsure as to what to help him to make. All the woodworking magazines
are for adults. I do not have a lot of money to buy big pieces of wood
for projects.

Can any help me either by suggesting a project that will not require
much wood or pointing me in the right direction for a group he can
join.

Regards

It sounds like money is the big factor here.

Can you afford to buy a Skil circular saw, a straight edge, a jig saw,
and a sheet of plywood?
He could make a lot of stuff with that.. but it will probably set you
back about $100-150.

If you don't want to invest that much, you can buy the smaller sheets
of plywood and a jigsaw.

He can paint his projects when he's done, and either use nails or
screws to fasten the pieces of plywood together.

Failing that, you are pretty much left with the precut birdhouse kits
and stuff like that aimed at kids. Not very creative, but maybe it will
introduce him to the hobby.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bf wrote:
wrote:
[...]

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...41&cat=51&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...096,46104&ap=1
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...096,46104&ap=1
Joe
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
My son loves making items and is very artistic. I bought his a junior
woodworking tool set but unfortunately it has just sat there as I am
unsure as to what to help him to make. All the woodworking magazines
are for adults. I do not have a lot of money to buy big pieces of wood
for projects.

Can any help me either by suggesting a project that will not require
much wood or pointing me in the right direction for a group he can
join.

Regards

One of the first projects I remember doing as a kid, besides "covering a
2x4 with roofing nails", was a rubber band paddle boat. A google search
should bring up plenty of hits. I'd also bet that the library is full of
books about wooden toys, folk toys, etc.

I'm not sure what a "junior woodworking tool set" contains, but I'd try
to get:

Tack hammer & Medium sized claw hammer.
Coping saw.
Miter box and saw.
Bit Brace (manual drill) and bits. Looks like:
http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...38-4000-sm.jpg
A few C-clamps and/or bar clamps.
Combination square.
Tape measure.
Screw drivers.

You'll notice I don't recommend any power tools. They're really not
necessary for small projects. Besides, a brace and bit is much more fun
than a drill.

materials:
Wood glue
Assorted nails (including roofing, box, and brads, etc.)
Assorted screws.
Assorted sand paper and/or sanding sponges.
1/4" & 1/2" thick poplar. (something in the neighborhood of 4"x36" or
6"x48") (Should be relatively cheap and available at the local big box
store. Home Depot carried them last time I looked.)
A few 1x2, 1x4, 2x2, and 2x4 boards.
An assortment of dowels.
And finally, visit www.caseyswood.com. Look under "bulk specials."
Consider getting:
25 LBS Box Filled with Assorted Wood Pieces for $32.99.
1 LBS Geometric Shape Assortment Bag for 2.99

If you have a cabinet shop near you, or if you know a finish carpenter,
ask them for some cut-offs or scrap wood for you kid.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I recommend "Woodworking with Kids" by Richard Starr. He has several
different projects with for different skill levels and explains common
problems that kids have when building the projects. The book is aimed
at adults who are teaching kids to do woodworking. You can get a used
copy from Amazon for less than $8.

Mark

wrote:
My son loves making items and is very artistic. I bought his a junior
woodworking tool set but unfortunately it has just sat there as I am
unsure as to what to help him to make. All the woodworking magazines
are for adults. I do not have a lot of money to buy big pieces of wood
for projects.

Can any help me either by suggesting a project that will not require
much wood or pointing me in the right direction for a group he can
join.

Regards

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 22, 10:15 am, wrote:
Can any help me either by suggesting a project that will not require
much wood or pointing me in the right direction for a group he can
join.

Can't help you with the projects, but I have a suggestion. For
inexpensive wood in small quantities suitable for a kid's project you
might want to rummage in the cutoffs bin at Home Depot.

Jerry

Posted to rec.woodworking

Can any help me either by suggesting a project that will not require
much wood

Pencil holder. At its simplest, just some holes drilled in a scrap piece of
2x4.

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

You might want to check out some books by John Nelson. He has tends to
have lots of small projects it his books. I don't know exact titles
off hand, but something along the lines of "Weekend Woodworker" &
similar titles.

If you can swing the cost, a scroll saw is a great tool for kids. Lots
ot toys, model making, art & craft work, & other small projects.
low end saws $150-$200 or so, from Delta, Dremel, etc, vibrate but
otherwise can do good work. My daughter (with supervision of course)
started using mine when she was 7 or 8.

Larry Wasserman - Baltimore Maryland -

Posted to rec.woodworking

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
news
On 23 Nov 2006 03:42:57 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

You can also do CO2 boats, but you've got to have some place to run them.
My shop teacher split a long (maybe 24'?) sewer pipe and dammed the ends
to make a channel for us to run our CO2 boats on.

Gutters.

I was thinking the same thing... 21 foot lengths are readily available from
local lumber yards that cater to the trades (I haven't seen them in the big
box stores). We use 10 foot lengths for the Cub Scout Raingutter Regatta
sail boat races.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thank you everyone for your suggestions for my son.

I have now ordered some books that were suggested and can not wait to
start projects with him.

Thank you for the mention of offcuts from building sites. There is a
building site just up from his school and normally I would never have
thought of asking but I did. I returned after school hours expecting a
few pieces of wood and had to return in a car to pick all the pieces
up. I also asked the local glazing company (as I noticed they do
replacement windows etc in wood) they have promised me all the off cuts
as they are normally just taken away and burned. The glazing company
were glad that the offcuts were going to some use.

My son has now arranged his tool set and I now have a list from him of
the other items he will need to get going.

You do not know how much you have helped especially as my son has ADHD
and slight autism. Woodworking and drawing are the only activities
that keep his attention for more than thirty minutes.

Regards
Nikki

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

Back when I was 10 years old (long time ago) making toy wooden boats
was all kinds of fun, AND you could play with the boat after making it.
All it takes is a few scrap pieces. The biggest piece becomes the
hull and gets a pointed bow sawn on one end. A smaller piece is nailed
on top of the hull to form the cabins. Another piece is nailed
crosswise on top of the cabin to form the bridge. For real class, bore
a 3/4" hole in the top of the cabin and insert a bit of dowel to be the
funnel.
Dimensions are non-critical...

David Starr

Posted to rec.woodworking

Every kitchen needs a cutting board. A nice shape, a hole to hang
it up, simple pine 1x8, 10, 12. Lots of sanding.

every time you use it, it becomes a reminder of a good project for
everyone.
___________________________
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

wrote in message
ups.com...

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

I pasted/glued a couple of pictures to 1/4" ply then cut them into
jigsaw puzzle shapes for our 5 & 3 YO grand kids. Second time was a
snap as far as time goes so I suggested they turn them over and rely
on shapes only to assemble them. Both kids had a great time. Is a
scroll saw considered O.K. for a ten year old?

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 01:50:36 -0600, Mike Paulsen

(snip)

Woodworking and drawing are the only activities
that keep his attention for more than thirty minutes.

Does he like painting? He may enjoy making puzzles with some 1/4" (or
1/8") plywood and a coping saw.

(Don't get luan plywood -- it splinters way too much.)