Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Top Ten Do's and Don'ts Print this Top Ten List

Top Ten Do's and Don'ts Print this Top Ten List

TOP TEN DO'S

Live frugally and begin saving up money for starting your business.
Learn your intended business by working for someone else in the same
business first.
Consider the benefits of starting a moonlight business.
Consider the advantages of operating a family business.
Objectively measure your skills and training against potential
competition.
Consider subcontracting to low cost suppliers if you're manufacturing a
product.
Test market your product or service before starting or expanding.
Make "for" and "against" list describing the specific business you are
considering.
Talk to lots of people in your intended business for advice.
Make a comparative analysis of all opportunities you are considering.
TOP TEN DON'TS
Don't even think about leaving your job until you have completed
start-up plans.
Don't consider starting a business in a field you do not enjoy.
Don't risk all the family assets. Limit your liabilities to a
predetermined amount.
Don't compete with your employer in a moonlight business.
Don't be in a hurry to select a business. There is no penalty for
missed opportunities.
Don't select a business that is too high a risk or hurdle. Go for the
2-foot hurdle.
Avoid a business in which you must have the lowest price to succeed.
Don't be afraid to seek out and learn the negative aspects of an
intended business.
Don't let entrepreneurial self-confidence outweigh careful diligence.
Don't let the promise of a conceptual high reward deter reality testing
first.

http://www.freewebs.com/globalsourcingservice/

http://www.eucarwash.ten.lt

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Russ

DON'T post the same cr@p on every forum going.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 10 May 2006 06:55:16 UTC, "Russ"
wrote:

DON'T post the same cr@p on every forum going.

What's a 'forum'? This is Usenet...and newsgroups... :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Russ

pah...you know what I mean! ;o)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Totally ot and unasked for. OTOH it speaks to a topic much underlearnt
today, and upon which a great deal of success in life depends. Or the
lack of it.

Top Ten Do's and Don'ts

Print this Top Ten List

why??

TOP TEN DO'S

Live frugally and begin saving up money for starting your business.

yep

Learn your intended business by working for someone else in the same
business first.

not always the thing to do, it depends. Can be time wasted and/or
opportunity missed.

Consider the advantages of operating a family business.

generally advised against

Make "for" and "against" list describing the specific business you are
considering.

no, compare each option.

TOP TEN DON'TS

Don't consider starting a business in a field you do not enjoy.

If people followed that, most of us would be out of work.

Don't risk all the family assets. Limit your liabilities to a
predetermined amount.

depends on circumstances, if your ass is on fire it may be the best
option.

Don't be in a hurry to select a business. There is no penalty for
missed opportunities.

of course there is

Don't select a business that is too high a risk or hurdle. Go for the
2-foot hurdle.

why should someone that can jump 4' go for the 2' hurdle?

Avoid a business in which you must have the lowest price to succeed.

There are some that succeed, by producing goods at lower cost than ever
before.

If this is your list of points to 'print out', you may want to avoid
self employment. One of the key questions is whether self employment is
really a good idea at all. The very high business failure rate shows
that for most it isnt.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

wrote:

DON'T post the same cr@p on every forum going.

What's a 'forum'? This is Usenet...and newsgroups... :-)

Surely 'forum' is a generic term that is a reasonable description of a
newsgroup?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
gort

What's a 'forum'? This is Usenet...and newsgroups... :-)

Surely 'forum' is a generic term that is a reasonable description of a
newsgroup?

No, forums are generally web based and we have had enough trouble with
those in here over the years.

Dave

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 10 May 2006 15:40:57 UTC, Rob Morley
wrote:

wrote:

DON'T post the same cr@p on every forum going.

What's a 'forum'? This is Usenet...and newsgroups... :-)

Surely 'forum' is a generic term that is a reasonable description of a
newsgroup?

Technically, it might be. But it generally tends to indicate a lack of
understanding by the poster, concerning the nature of the audience to
which they are posting.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
gort wrote:

What's a 'forum'? This is Usenet...and newsgroups... :-)

Surely 'forum' is a generic term that is a reasonable description of a
newsgroup?

No, forums are generally web based and we have had enough trouble with
those in here over the years.

I'm afraid your education has let you down. Forum *is* a generic term of long
standing - 2,500 years? - and you have to accept its general use alongside its
more specific version, else display your ignorance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Cartmell

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2006 15:40:57 UTC, Rob Morley
wrote:

wrote:

DON'T post the same cr@p on every forum going.

What's a 'forum'? This is Usenet...and newsgroups... :-)

Surely 'forum' is a generic term that is a reasonable description of a
newsgroup?

Technically, it might be. But it generally tends to indicate a lack of
understanding by the poster, concerning the nature of the audience to
which they are posting.

Except that it didn't in this case. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On Wed, 10 May 2006 16:40:57 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

|In article
|Bob Eager wrote:
| On Wed, 10 May 2006 06:55:16 UTC, "Russ"
| wrote:
|
| DON'T post the same cr@p on every forum going.
|
| What's a 'forum'? This is Usenet...and newsgroups... :-)
|

|Surely 'forum' is a generic term that is a reasonable description of a
|newsgroup?

On the WWW a "forum" is a web based system where you can read discussions
on a specific web page(s) system. Usenet is completely different, the
discussion is distributed by newservers directly to your own machine.

Groups.google is trying to pretend that it *is* usenet by offering a web
based interface to usenet. Read http://www.google.co.uk/grphp carefully.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Eager

On Wed, 10 May 2006 17:17:51 UTC, John Cartmell
wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2006 15:40:57 UTC, Rob Morley
wrote:

wrote:

DON'T post the same cr@p on every forum going.

What's a 'forum'? This is Usenet...and newsgroups... :-)

Surely 'forum' is a generic term that is a reasonable description of a
newsgroup?

Technically, it might be. But it generally tends to indicate a lack of
understanding by the poster, concerning the nature of the audience to
which they are posting.

Except that it didn't in this case. ;-)

That's why I was careful to include the word 'generally'....!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob Morley

In article
Dave Fawthrop wrote:
On Wed, 10 May 2006 16:40:57 +0100, Rob Morley wrote:

|In article
|Bob Eager wrote:
| On Wed, 10 May 2006 06:55:16 UTC, "Russ"
| wrote:
|
| DON'T post the same cr@p on every forum going.
|
| What's a 'forum'? This is Usenet...and newsgroups... :-)
|

|Surely 'forum' is a generic term that is a reasonable description of a
|newsgroup?

On the WWW a "forum" is a web based system where you can read discussions
on a specific web page(s) system.

I know that. This isn't the web.

Usenet is completely different, the
discussion is distributed by newservers directly to your own machine.

Well done Sherlock.

Groups.google is trying to pretend that it *is* usenet by offering a web
based interface to usenet. Read http://www.google.co.uk/grphp carefully.

Why?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , The3rd Earl
Of Derby writes
wrote:
Top Ten Do's and Don'ts Print this Top Ten
List

If you have to print all the **** you've just posted, you must be a bit
short of a byte.

Spammer

If you'd noticed, he's been posting links on a regular basis (the
carwash link

and in other NGs too

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Halmarack

On Wed, 10 May 2006 16:40:57 +0100, Rob Morley
wrote:

wrote:

DON'T post the same cr@p on every forum going.

What's a 'forum'? This is Usenet...and newsgroups... :-)

Surely 'forum' is a generic term that is a reasonable description of a
newsgroup?

Don't you come around here trying to be reasonable.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the (EGG) to email me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember saying
something like:

Top Ten Do's and Don'ts

1 to 10.

Assume that something you've picked up from the internet is ********.
--

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y
raden

In message , Gav writes
can you tell me owt about zero govenors please geoff, that is our
current subject, controls, and if you can tell me owt then i will
look good at class tommorrow!

Zero governors ?
Not the faintest idea, I've never heard of them
(Well not by that name)

it's the multifunction valve used in new condensing combis that you
cant adjust the burner pressure on such as in worcester bosch and
vailant's newer boilers.

never mind, i winged it anyway. hard stuff this learning gas stuff!

Good

Gav- I repair pcbs and fans, I'm not a fitter, keep that in mind

--
geoff