Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Considering a Jointer

On Wed, 22 Nov 2006 03:44:26 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

Considering the comments about benchtop jointers and their limited
practicality, it is not a consideration for me. I'd certainly go with a
Yorkcraft. Not much dust, mostly chips. Can you get it out on a mobile
base?

I would NOT consider a Yorkcraft. I sold mine after using it for
about two years. The motor gave up just before I moved, so I sold it
for $250 minus the motor. While the machine looks exactly like a
Delta, it's NOT a Delta. Finishing is very crude and once if it goes
out of alignment, you will need to remover the two beds and slowly
adjust (shims) the bed and fence alignments.

..
Posted to rec.woodworking

I would NOT consider a Yorkcraft. I sold mine after using it for
about two years. The motor gave up just before I moved, so I sold it
for $250 minus the motor.

You sold a $400ish machine for $250 without a motor? You did well.

While the machine looks exactly like a
Delta, it's NOT a Delta.

IME, Delta (currently) is no guarantee of quality. Jointers are pretty
mature technology. Delta may have a little bit more buying power, the
Wilke's and the Grizzlys manage to meet or beat that price point and still
manage to service the customer well.

Finishing is very crude and once if it goes
out of alignment, you will need to remover the two beds and slowly
adjust (shims) the bed and fence alignments.

That's true of any dovetailed ways (pretty much most, except parallellogram
type) jointers.

I have the 8-inch Yorkcarft and I have been pleased with it. I would buy it
again... or maybe a Griz; I think either are an excellent value.

IME jointers are actually one of the cleanest woodworking machines even in
the absence of dust collection. Chips (not dust) gets thrown down the chute.
It can generate some volume, but it is really a well-contained pile.

-Steve