Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hinges - comments solicited

I'm gonna try something new (I think) and order either the Ferrari or
Hettich hinges from (probably) CSHardware.

But, if anyone has any personal experiences regarding either/both of
these, I'd appreciate you sharing them.

I've always used Grass or Blum, and never heard of these until
recently. Seems like the Hettich slides (pointed out by one of the
guys here - Swingman?) are pretty good, but how 'bout the hinges?

(Looks like the "little-bit-more" I need to buy for the kitchen is
gonna run me a grand if things keep going the way they are.
*&@#^%*&!!!)

Thanx
Renata
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message

(Looks like the "little-bit-more" I need to buy for the kitchen is
gonna run me a grand if things keep going the way they are.
*&@#^%*&!!!)

Wait until you start pricing door and drawer pulls.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:14:52 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Renata" wrote in message
.. .

(Looks like the "little-bit-more" I need to buy for the kitchen is
gonna run me a grand if things keep going the way they are.
*&@#^%*&!!!)

Wait until you start pricing door and drawer pulls.

Oh yeah - been there done that. The ones I like are alway more than
10 bucks. Some are 20+.
But, I've decided to try to make 'em out of walnut. If it turns out
feasible, and if I don't lose my mind making ~55 pulls then I can
"save" myself some $ (at the cost of time - but achieve
customization). One idea lends itself toward a partial "production
line" method; other idea (so far) means hand making each one
separately.

Renata

Posted to rec.woodworking

Renata wrote:

But, I've decided to try to make 'em out of walnut.

Try a search on e-bay for drawer+pulls.

I found some stuff I used.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Renata" wrote in message

Oh yeah - been there done that. The ones I like are alway more than
10 bucks. Some are 20+.

The last kitchen re-do that I did for a customer involved him picking out a
pull that ended up costing him almost $700 for the pulls. I was not
involved other than installing the pulls. I don't include the pulls in my
quotes.

But, I've decided to try to make 'em out of walnut. If it turns out
feasible, and if I don't lose my mind making ~55 pulls then I can
"save" myself some $ (at the cost of time - but achieve
customization). One idea lends itself toward a partial "production
line" method; other idea (so far) means hand making each one
separately.

About 20 years ago I built an Oak and Walnut panel desk and I made the bulls
out of Oak. I started with a triangular blank and cut the top pointed end
of the triangle off and ended up with a flat top with two tapered sides. I
routed a "stopped" slot on the bottom side and then cut the piece into two
pieces. This gave me two pulls and the routed slot was the finger catch. I
initially made one long blank and cut it into the desired lengths. IIRC
they went pretty quickly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006 04:11:03 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Renata" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

Thanx for sharing!