Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Moving

Hi everyone. Because my life is a soap opera, I have to move now.
The good news is that I probably will have six weeks to do it. I'm
currently in a three car garage, but I have to share it with a
multitude of bicycles, lawn equipment, and other junk. So really, I
have maybe a 2.5 car garage. An external storage barn is the ideal
solution, but not really doable before the move. So I have two
questions:

1. If you were moving your shop into a completely new three car garage,
what would you do? What has hindsight taught you?

I plan to insulate the instant I get there. I also plan to build in
more storage up near the ceiling as well as more lumber storage. I
also plan to make a large shelf about 3'-4' wide and the height and
depth of the garage to store all the junk, hoping to get back more
floor space. I also plan to put in a sub panel with at least 60 amp
service. I may do 100 this time. There's 200 amp service to the
house.

2. How would you move the tools? At the moment, I'm planning one of
those 6'x12' flat bed open uhaul trailer and an engine crane to lift
the tools onto the trailer. My heaviest tool is probably 600lbs. Do
you have a better way? Luckily, the house we're going to is about a
30 second drive down the road, but too far to just push the tools on
their casters. Three of the tools (DP, 14" bandsaw with riser block,
and 80 gal upright compressor) are real tippy. Any advice there?

Thanks.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

My advice would be to first plan where the tools are going to go and run at
least the main lines your dust collection before filling the shop up with
tools. It's easier to do it without climbing around your tools. I also
recommend putting your table at least 9' or so right in front of one of the
garage doors so you can carry an 8' sheet of plywood straight in to rip it.
That's a lot easier than spinning it around.

my 2 cent

--
Rick Nagy
Johnstown, PA

- Remove nospam to email me
Be sure to check out my website at
http://www.rickscabinetshop.com
"brianlanning" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick's Cabinet Shop wrote:
My advice would be to first plan where the tools are going to go and run at
least the main lines your dust collection before filling the shop up with
tools. It's easier to do it without climbing around your tools. I also
recommend putting your table at least 9' or so right in front of one of the
garage doors so you can carry an 8' sheet of plywood straight in to rip it.
That's a lot easier than spinning it around.
my 2 cent

I was thinking that I would put everything in the center of the garage
so I could get to the walls. But you're right, it's better just to do
the mods first. I guess I should take advantage of the six weeks.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Nov 2006 08:47:32 -0800, "brianlanning"
wrote:

Because my life is a soap opera, I have to move now.

The one thing I'm facing now that my shop is finally rocked and
painted is something I wish I had done three years ago before I
populated the whole thing with tools: painting the floor. That may be
the most important thing that you can do in the next six weeks.

I really want one of the two part epoxy finishes, the first step of
which is an acid wash. I know I can access half the floor at a time by
moving all the tools (all of my big iron is on mobile bases) to one
side, but I'm concerned about the fumes from the acid, so I'm probably
not going to do that.

That leaves the uncomfortable option of rolling everything next door
if I can get the widder lady that lives there to loan me half of her
garage for a few days. I might be able to get everything into my
utility trailer, but three wheeled bases don't go up a two board ramp
very well.

Luckily, the house we're going to is about a 30 second drive down the road...

Thanks. That answers the one question I had.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

LRod wrote:
painting the floor.

Unfortunately, this is probably not doable. It's a rental ($12,000 a
year property taxes, special ed kid needs this school district). I'm
already pushing the envelope. The guy who owns the house is real laid
back so I shouldn't have too much trouble with putting in a subpanel
for example. I wouldn't want to paint the floor though. The subpanel
might go unnoticed if I hide it behind the dust collector. The floor
would smack you in the face. :-)

I agree though. After insulating, I considered putting OSB up and
painting it white. I'm not sure if I want the expense though.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

"brianlanning" wrote in message
ups.com...
The guy who owns the house is real laid
back so I shouldn't have too much trouble with putting in a subpanel
for example. I wouldn't want to paint the floor though. The subpanel
might go unnoticed if I hide it behind the dust collector. The floor
would smack you in the face. :-)

I would just ask if he minded if you painted the floor in the garage. After
all if he gets his house back with a painted garage floor why would this be
a bad thing? The same goes for the sub panel. If the sub, panel is up to
code even if future tenants or buyers never used more than the ceiling lamps
in the garage what harm would it be?

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

wrote:

Because my life is a soap opera, I have to move now.

The one thing I'm facing now that my shop is finally rocked and
painted is something I wish I had done three years ago before I
populated the whole thing with tools: painting the floor. That may be
the most important thing that you can do in the next six weeks.

Forgive a stupid question.. But why is it a good idea to paint the
floor? What benefits are there?

Posted to rec.woodworking

bf wrote:
Forgive a stupid question.. But why is it a good idea to paint the
floor? What benefits are there?

A slick surface would be easier to sweep. And a light color would
brighten up the shop.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

"brianlanning" wrote
bf wrote:
Forgive a stupid question.. But why is it a good idea to paint the
floor? What benefits are there?

A slick surface would be easier to sweep. And a light color would
brighten up the shop.

And it makes it easier to find things when you drop them on the floor. This
is particularly important with small fasteners and ageing eyes.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bf wrote:

Forgive a stupid question.. But why is it a good idea to paint the
floor? What benefits are there?

Makes the shop brighter, cuts down on moisture transfer through the
concrete, cuts down on concrete dust.

Chris

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 13 Nov 2006 09:08:08 -0800, "bf" wrote:

Forgive a stupid question.. But why is it a good idea to paint the
floor? What benefits are there?

Concrete unprotected is in a constant state of deterioration. That
translates to dust and pitting--the former of which is an annoyance on
several levels, and the latter of which makes it progressively more
difficult to sweep up chips, cutoffs, and, uh, dust.

I let the basement in my shop in Illinois go too many years before
putting something down (I built the house, compounding the felony).
There were some spots, particularly where traffic was heaviest, that
had quite a bit of pitting. I could have prevented that by painting in
the first year.

The garage I'm using in my house now is over 30 years old (I've been
here 3½) and the floor isn't in as bad shape as my basement floor was,
but I'd sure like to catch it now before it gets worse.

Some of the other responses address the issue as well.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Instead of OSB have you thougt of peg board for the top half or the full
wall? I did my entier wall with and have not regreted it. Just pait it
first while it is flat on the floor.

Joe M.
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

JOE MOHNIKE wrote:
Instead of OSB have you thougt of peg board for the top half or the full
wall? I did my entier wall with and have not regreted it. Just pait it
first while it is flat on the floor.

I considered it. You can screw into osb which I think might make it
win. Maybe a mixture would be good. I guess it depends on the price
also.

brian