Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Tyvek wrap required for shop?

We just finished framing a new garage/shop (had to give the wife part of it
for her van). This garshop is detached from our house. I do plan to
insulate and heat the shop area. How important, if at all, is it to install
the Tyvek wrap around the exterior walls for this application?

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

"todd" wrote in message
. ..
We just finished framing a new garage/shop (had to give the wife part of
it for her van). This garshop is detached from our house. I do plan to
insulate and heat the shop area. How important, if at all, is it to
install the Tyvek wrap around the exterior walls for this application?

todd

Providing you put it on correctly it will keep moisture from penetrating
from small leaks in your wall and will let inside moisture out. I would put
some kind of vapor barrier on and Tyvek does not smell like the typical tar
paper when it gets hot.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Not required, but strongly suggested. It provides a good barrrier against
air and water, especially if it'll be a while before siding is installed.
Personally, I prefer TYPAR as it seems to hold up longer than TYVEK while
exposed. Don't forget to get tape for the seams and there are also flashing
tapes to use around window and door openings. You can staple it on with a
tack hammer, but if it'll be a while before you install the exterior siding,
use a few button cap nails to prevent the wrap from coming off. --dave

"todd" wrote in message
. ..
We just finished framing a new garage/shop (had to give the wife part of
it for her van). This garshop is detached from our house. I do plan to
insulate and heat the shop area. How important, if at all, is it to
install the Tyvek wrap around the exterior walls for this application?

todd

Posted to rec.woodworking

todd wrote:
We just finished framing a new garage/shop (had to give the wife part of it
for her van). This garshop is detached from our house. I do plan to
insulate and heat the shop area. How important, if at all, is it to install
the Tyvek wrap around the exterior walls for this application?

todd

Important if you are going to insulate and heat
it. The primary purpose of Tyvek is to eliminate
air infiltration and that can be nearly as
important to comfort as insulation is. Second is
to stop liquid water infiltration, while allowing
the building to breath.