Posted to rec.woodworking

Default G0555 tension release, how much?

Hello, my first post. I've done some searching but didn't find what I
was looking for.

How much tension is the tension release lever supposed to release?
Enough so you can change the blade or just some tension so it's not so
tight? Mine barely seems to let any tension off at all. I have the
risers on this, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I've also
bought it used and only used it maybe twice before putting the risers
on. I can't quite recall, but I _think_ it used to release all the
tension before I put the blocks on. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

I might be posting some more questions in the future. Hopefully they
won't be too stupid, but I've never owned my own power tools before, so
I'm sure things will come up. For example, I'm picking up a Grizzly
24" drum sander this weekend from a co-worker. I'm pretty certain I
might need help with that sucker sooner or later.

Thanks,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Gus Gus is offline

On Nov 2, 1:51 pm, "bbeardb" wrote:
Hello, my first post. I've done some searching but didn't find what I
was looking for.

How much tension is the tension release lever supposed to release?
Enough so you can change the blade or just some tension so it's not so
tight? Mine barely seems to let any tension off at all. I have the
risers on this, so I don't know if that makes a difference. I've also
bought it used and only used it maybe twice before putting the risers
on. I can't quite recall, but I _think_ it used to release all the
tension before I put the blocks on. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

I think you're probably right.

My G0555 seems to release "most" of the tension. The blade is loose,
but not loose enough to fall off the wheels.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gus wrote:
I think you're probably right.
My G0555 seems to release "most" of the tension. The blade is loose,
but not loose enough to fall off the wheels.

My (chinese) delta 14" came with a tension release lever. It's enough
to take off the blade. That would be annoying if I couldn't. So close
yet so far. Maybe a new stiffer spring would fix the problem?

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

Gus wrote:

I think you're probably right.

My G0555 seems to release "most" of the tension. The blade is loose,
but not loose enough to fall off the wheels.

Hmm... Mine doesn't even do that. I'll have to look into this further,
but everything seems to be set up ok.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bbeardb wrote:
Gus wrote:

I think you're probably right.

My G0555 seems to release "most" of the tension. The blade is loose,
but not loose enough to fall off the wheels.

Hmm... Mine doesn't even do that. I'll have to look into this further,
but everything seems to be set up ok.

Last night I put on the riser. Before it went on, with a 93 1/2" blade
the tension release lever would release enough tension to remove the
blade. After I put the riser on the release lever no longer releases
enough tension to remove the 105" blade.

Not to mention I lost the spring that pushes the bb against the guide
post. Sigh.

Damian

Posted to rec.woodworking

bbeardb wrote:
Hello, my first post. I've done some searching but didn't find what I
was looking for.

How much tension is the tension release lever supposed to release?
Enough so you can change the blade or just some tension so it's not so
tight?

I can't answer for your particular saw, but I bought the Carter Quick
Release for my used Jet a few months ago.

It has three settings: "tightened", "released", and "change the blade".
In Released, it's pretty loose. If I had to I bet I could work the
blade off the wheels. In Blade Change setting the blade's barely
touching the wheels.

I always figured you wanted at least most of the tension off the blade
so you didn't force your tension spring to spend too much time at full
tension. As long as that spring isn't being squeezed, I'd figure it was
okay.

Posted to rec.woodworking

bbeardb wrote:
[...]

I think the reason is that pre riser the saw takes a 93 1/2" blade,
after the riser you use a 105" blade but you've added 12" to the path
the blade takes so you lose that 1/2" of give.

Pardon Lottery jim rozen Metalworking 37 April 12th 06 05:34 AM
Quick release for bandsaw blade tension [email protected] Woodworking 16 February 10th 06 04:44 AM
Need help with Centauro CO500 bandsaw tension gauge Rob Woodworking 0 July 17th 05 07:15 PM
BS tension release knob Phisherman Woodworking 0 February 16th 05 11:22 PM
BS tension release knob Phisherman Woodworking 12 February 15th 05 07:18 PM