Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Maybe a "new" shop tip.

I saw the posting about the best tip you found on the NG. I have to agree
that Doug S's one of shooting nails through a piece of tape is one of the
best I ever found. I don't know if this one is new, but I "invented" it
today for myself. It may have been done before but I've never seen it
anywhere.

My helper has a tendency to push really hard on the drill when drilling
pocket holes in a kreg jig. The next thing I know, all the pocket holes are
too deep because he pushed the stop collar down the shaft of the drill bit.
Upon finding this out AGAIN this morning, I realized I could cut about 3/4"
off the bottom of the drill bit so there was no bit left between the collar
and the chuck of the drill. Now there's no way the collar will slide up the
bit and make the holes too deep. I used to grind a small flat spot on the
bits for the set screw, but there would still be play in that idea if I
didn't make the slot deep enough.

Just thought it might help someone with similar problems

--
Rick Nagy
Johnstown, PA

- Remove nospam to email me
Be sure to check out my website at
http://www.rickscabinetshop.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick's Cabinet Shop" wrote in message
[...]

Good idea until you need to drill pocket holes for 2x stock, then you want
a longer bit.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick's Cabinet Shop wrote:
[...]

An interesting solution. Is the helper someone who shows an interest
in the work, or just a body earning some bucks? If it's the former he
probably should be taught to let the tools do the work and to clear out
the holes rather than forcing it. Maybe a financial penalty or
incentive? Normally I'd say a smack to the back of the head, but this
is a family newsgroup.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Do you happen to have a cutoff laying around about 2"x2"x36"? If so, the
proper application of that cutoff to said helper should alleviate the
problem. My have to do this twice but seldom does it take more than that.

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

He shows some good interest and potential, but for some reason, everyone
that ever helped me out, including my dad, always feels the need to slam
through the wood when drilling pocket holes. I try to tell them to take it
easy, but it never works. I usually keep my "good bit" marked with a
sharpie, that way he knows to put the crappy one in before he starts...
hmmmmmm maybe another good tip!

--
Rick Nagy
Johnstown, PA

- Remove nospam to email me
Be sure to check out my website at
http://www.rickscabinetshop.com
"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rick's Cabinet Shop wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

That was almost the solution the other day when a 1/2 full can of Sherwin
Williams BAC wiping stain hit the floor, spilling and splashing all over the
router station and up the walls.....

--
Rick Nagy
Johnstown, PA

- Remove nospam to email me
Be sure to check out my website at
http://www.rickscabinetshop.com
"CW" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon (in ) said:

| "Rick's Cabinet Shop" wrote in
| message news:ygb2h.4099$B44.3355@trndny07...

snip

|| My helper has a tendency to push really hard on the drill when
|| drilling pocket holes in a kreg jig. The next thing I know, all
|| the pocket holes are too deep because he pushed the stop collar
|| down the shaft of the drill bit. Upon finding this out AGAIN this
|| morning, I realized I could cut about 3/4" off the bottom of the
|| drill bit so there was no bit left between the collar and the
|| chuck of the drill. Now there's no way the collar will slide up
|| the bit and make the holes too deep. I used to grind a small flat
|| spot on the bits for the set screw, but there would still be play
|| in that idea if I didn't make the slot deep enough.
|| Just thought it might help someone with similar problems
|

| Good idea until you need to drill pocket holes for 2x stock, then
| you want a longer bit.

Hmm. I keep two bits set up with stop collars - one for 3/4" stock and
one for 2x stock.

I haven't had a problem with the collars slipping; but wonder if a
smear of Loc-Tite (whatever the weakest type is) between the bit and
the collar might help prevent the problem...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick's Cabinet Shop wrote:
He shows some good interest and potential, but for some reason, everyone
that ever helped me out, including my dad, always feels the need to slam
through the wood when drilling pocket holes. I try to tell them to take it
easy, but it never works. I usually keep my "good bit" marked with a
sharpie, that way he knows to put the crappy one in before he starts...
hmmmmmm maybe another good tip!

How about explaining to him how you'll be helping him get started in
the business. Any time he needs a special tool you'll buy it for him
and deduct it from his paycheck. The tools are his to keep when he
leaves.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Rick's Cabinet Shop wrote:
My helper has a tendency to push really hard on the drill when drilling
pocket holes in a kreg jig. The next thing I know, all the pocket holes are
too deep because he pushed the stop collar down the shaft of the drill bit.
Upon finding this out AGAIN this morning, I realized I could cut about 3/4"
off the bottom of the drill bit so there was no bit left between the collar
and the chuck of the drill. Now there's no way the collar will slide up the
bit and make the holes too deep. I used to grind a small flat spot on the
bits for the set screw, but there would still be play in that idea if I
didn't make the slot deep enough.

You could cut a piece of skinny pvc tubing just long enough to go
between the chuck and the collar. That way, it wouldn't move. And it
would be easier to cut than the bit.

brian

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Rick's Cabinet Shop" wrote in message

They shoot horses don't they???

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 01:29:32 GMT, "Rick's Cabinet Shop"
wrote:

I never use 2 x stock, not only that, wouldn't the 2x stock still sit in the
same place in the jig? I don't have the fancy Kreg, just the simple one.

There's an extension block that you can attach to the front of the
jig. The point being the screw ends up in the middle of the stock.
But the hell with that, the few times I've put a pocket screw in
something thicker than 3/4 I left the jig and bit setting alone.

I did have the collar slip on me once when I first got the jig. I
hate to overtighten those allen head screws cuz the damn wrench always
ends up getting stuck. Never happened again. I did think to mark the
bit behind the collar so I could see if it slipped, but never got
around to it.

-Leuf