Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sanding sealer

My wife and I make custom cabinets for customers. We work together on
almost all of the fabrication but she takes over on the sanding and
finishing. ( I really miss not getting to do the sanding... Yea right!).
She insists on using sanding sealer on every project. I question it but she
keeps saying that if I can get a better finish, help myself! She feels like
the sanding sealer makes a better base for the top coats. She sands the
sanding sealer lightly before applying the top coats. Customers rave about
the finishes. Who am I to try to fix something that isn't broke? Besides,
I might have to do all that sanding!

I think it is one of those preference things that if it works for you... use
it.

Don Dando

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don Dando wrote:
My wife and I make custom cabinets for customers. We work together on
almost all of the fabrication but she takes over on the sanding and
finishing. ( I really miss not getting to do the sanding... Yea right!).
She insists on using sanding sealer on every project. I question it but she
keeps saying that if I can get a better finish, help myself! She feels like
the sanding sealer makes a better base for the top coats. She sands the
sanding sealer lightly before applying the top coats. Customers rave about
the finishes. Who am I to try to fix something that isn't broke? Besides,
I might have to do all that sanding!

I think it is one of those preference things that if it works for you... use
it.

Don Dando

your wife is right, of course.

shut up and let her do her job...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don Dando wrote:
My wife and I make custom cabinets for customers. We work together on
almost all of the fabrication but she takes over on the sanding and
finishing. ( I really miss not getting to do the sanding... Yea right!).
She insists on using sanding sealer on every project. I question it but she
keeps saying that if I can get a better finish, help myself! She feels like
the sanding sealer makes a better base for the top coats. She sands the
sanding sealer lightly before applying the top coats. Customers rave about
the finishes. Who am I to try to fix something that isn't broke? Besides,
I might have to do all that sanding!

I think it is one of those preference things that if it works for you... use
it.

Don Dando

Don,

It's been my experience, after intro by various regulars here, that
cabinet
scrapers are better-simpler yet. Even using construction-grade
plywood,
a quick coat of stain or sealer and a quick scraping, and the finish is
baby's-butt smooth. Not to mention- no dust.

And ... to answer your question, she's right.

why sanding sealer? trs80 Woodworking 7 November 2nd 06 09:35 PM
Proper use of sanding sealer [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 26th 06 07:50 PM
Sanding Sealer Dries Instantly [email protected] Woodworking 13 December 4th 05 04:28 PM
Finishing / sanding sealer question Dave Woodworking 2 November 15th 05 04:21 PM
Q Re Sanding Sealer Oscar Woodworking 4 April 13th 04 10:06 PM