Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Workshop wall material

I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish. I have thought about drywall, OSB, plywood and some of the more
expensive material with finished surface. It is a frame building with 2x6
insulated walls and I am looking for a durable and still nice looking
interior. Any suggestions?

Dennis

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dbomke" wrote in message
m...
I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish. I have thought about drywall, OSB, plywood and some of the more
expensive material with finished surface. It is a frame building with 2x6
insulated walls and I am looking for a durable and still nice looking
interior. Any suggestions?

Dennis

I'm kind of partial to a hand rubbed cherry wall myself. One of my
favorites is a nice matched cherry board wall, with a good durable latex
paint, rubbed to a fine finish and brought out to a luster with a good coat
of Butcher's wax.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sheath the inside with an inexpensive 3/4" plywood or even OSB, and put
drywall right on top of it. The drywall will finish well, with a matt white
paint to give you lots of reflected light, and the underlying plywood will
let you fasten things up anywhere you want without having to worry about the
screws holding in unbacked drywall.

Tom Dacon

"dbomke" wrote in message
m...
I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish. I have thought about drywall, OSB, plywood and some of the more
expensive material with finished surface. It is a frame building with 2x6
insulated walls and I am looking for a durable and still nice looking
interior. Any suggestions?

Dennis

Posted to rec.woodworking

dbomke wrote:
I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish.

snip

T&G siding, painted flat white.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 30, 11:28 pm, Lew Hodgett wrote:
dbomke wrote: I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall

Hand-rubbed cherry like Mike mentioned would be nice, but I think a
good curly maple with thinned tung oil then shellac would be a better
choice. More reflected light from the lighter surface, you know.
More seriously, if I were building a new shop, I'd probably do 3/4"
plywood, painted a light matte color unless the ply was quite light to
start with. Pegboard is a pain when the hooks fall out (which is just
about every time I grab tools off said hooks), so it'd be nice to be
able to put in screws/nails/hooks/shelves wherever I wanted. I'd
definitely consider some decent insluation (depending on your latitude,
I guess), and definitely insulate (for sound, if nothing else) if your
shop is adjoining or close to a living space.
Do you already have lots of outlets at convenient (i.e. above the
bench) heights all around the shop?
Congrats on your new space, and have fun with it,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"dbomke" wrote in message
m...
I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish. I have thought about drywall, OSB, plywood and some of the more
expensive material with finished surface. It is a frame building with 2x6
insulated walls and I am looking for a durable and still nice looking
interior. Any suggestions?

I just lined my new shop with plywood. Can fix anything practically anywhere
and I don't mind the look of it

--
Regards,

Dean Bielanowski
Editor, OnlineToolReviews.com
http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com
Over 110+ woodworking product reviews online!
Latest 6 Reviews:
- PowerTwist Link Belts
- Ryobi "LiveTool" Range
- Triton 2.25HP Router
- Coldheat Cordless Glue Gun
- Festool Random Orbit Sanders
- Kreg Miter Gauge Update
=========================

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:38:50 -0600, "dbomke"
wrote:

I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish. I have thought about drywall, OSB, plywood and some of the more
expensive material with finished surface. It is a frame building with 2x6
insulated walls and I am looking for a durable and still nice looking
interior. Any suggestions?

Peg board. Just imagine all the options that would give you, and you
can always paint it if you like. Don't know how "nice" it would look,
but it sure would be functional, and might even be kind of attractive-
but I've never seen a whole shop done in it before.

That actually was intended to be a joke, but after a minute's thought,
I kind of want to do that to my own shop. It'd be awfully handy to
hang jigs and accessories right over the tools they belong to.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish. I have thought about drywall, OSB, plywood and some of the more
expensive material with finished surface. It is a frame building with 2x6
insulated walls and I am looking for a durable and still nice looking
interior. Any suggestions?

Peg board. Just imagine all the options that would give you, and you
can always paint it if you like. Don't know how "nice" it would look,
but it sure would be functional, and might even be kind of attractive-
but I've never seen a whole shop done in it before.

That actually was intended to be a joke, but after a minute's thought,
I kind of want to do that to my own shop. It'd be awfully handy to
hang jigs and accessories right over the tools they belong to.

And it will produce a huge dust trap behind that pegboard as well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish. I have thought about drywall, OSB, plywood and some of the more
expensive material with finished surface. It is a frame building with 2x6
insulated walls and I am looking for a durable and still nice looking
interior. Any suggestions?

Peg board. Just imagine all the options that would give you, and you
can always paint it if you like. Don't know how "nice" it would look,
but it sure would be functional, and might even be kind of attractive-
but I've never seen a whole shop done in it before.

That actually was intended to be a joke, but after a minute's thought,
I kind of want to do that to my own shop. It'd be awfully handy to
hang jigs and accessories right over the tools they belong to.

And it will produce a huge dust trap behind that pegboard as well.

Whatever you choose to do, be sure to lay down a nice coat of
diatomaceous earth between all the studs before you cover them up. It
will help with any potential roach problem, and because it's not a
chemical it will last a long, long time.
Quick info here (through a quick Google searth):
http://www.internet-grocer.net/diatome.htm

-Nathan

Posted to rec.woodworking

I paneled my new shop with 3/4 plywood. I found a bunk on sale at Home
Depot for $29 per sheet (maple veneered, cabinet grade), which is hardly
more than the cost of taped, mudded, sheet rock (which I hate to do
myself). My shop is a steel building with wood trusses and posts . . .
the plywood added hugely to the rigidity of the structure and lets me
hang jigs, tools etc. anywhere. I varnished the walls.

The only downside I can see to plywood is that the space is darker than
a painted space. Of course you could paint the plywood, or sheetrock
over it . . . but that's a lot of additional expense and time.

Rick
http://www.thunderworksinc.com

dbomke wrote:
I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish. I have thought about drywall, OSB, plywood and some of the more
expensive material with finished surface. It is a frame building with 2x6
insulated walls and I am looking for a durable and still nice looking
interior. Any suggestions?

Dennis

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:25:39 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish. I have thought about drywall, OSB, plywood and some of the more
expensive material with finished surface. It is a frame building with 2x6
insulated walls and I am looking for a durable and still nice looking
interior. Any suggestions?

Peg board. Just imagine all the options that would give you, and you
can always paint it if you like. Don't know how "nice" it would look,
but it sure would be functional, and might even be kind of attractive-
but I've never seen a whole shop done in it before.

That actually was intended to be a joke, but after a minute's thought,
I kind of want to do that to my own shop. It'd be awfully handy to
hang jigs and accessories right over the tools they belong to.

And it will produce a huge dust trap behind that pegboard as well.

You could always leave a few inches at the bottom of the wall open to
clean it out with a shop vac or broom, if that's a huge concern.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dbomke" wrote in message
m...
I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish. I have thought about drywall, OSB, plywood and some of the more
expensive material with finished surface. It is a frame building with 2x6
insulated walls and I am looking for a durable and still nice looking
interior. Any suggestions?

Dennis

Sheet rock, period!
My shop is taped and textured sheet rock and after 15 years of use it has
served me well. Plywood or OSB are poor substitutes in my mind. Comments are
made that you can hang stuff anywhere with ply or OSB. Hanging stuff has not
been a problem for me. One thing many people do not consider is noise.
Plywood or OSB reflect sound more than sheet rock and make the shop a bit
more noisier. I have two friends with OSB on the walls and ceiling and I can
tell the difference in the way sound travels in their shops compared to
mine.
A couple years ago I stripped out the shop, patched any holes, sprayed some
texture, and rolled on some paint. It looks like new again.
Absolutely no regrets going with sheet rock.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Now I just need to decide which
approach I am going to use and get building.

"J T" wrote in message
Mon, Oct 30, 2006, 9:38pm (EST-1) (dbomke) doth
plaintively query:
I am building a workshop and looking at options for the interior wall
finish. snip Any suggestions?

Knocking through a wall and re-wiring Matt UK diy 9 March 31st 06 03:57 PM
Bad odor coming from expansion joint around interior wall of home John Hughes Home Repair 2 December 9th 03 06:05 PM
Wall falling down? Alex UK diy 8 August 29th 03 10:54 AM
Retaining Wall in front of another Retaining Wall MCL Home Repair 0 July 11th 03 03:48 PM