Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Default Knocking through a wall and re-wiring

Hi,

I am converting a fair sized kichen and small dining room into one big
open kitchen/diner and need to take out a wall in between the 2 rooms.
The wall in question is 2.6m wide, and has an arch/walkway in it
already that is about half (1.3m or perhaps slightly more) the width of
the wall. The wall is solid/brick but I don't think it is a supporting
wall - I am no expert, but assume that as a lot of the wall has already
been taken out to make the arch that it can't be supporting. There is
a bathrom directly above this wall, but the bathroom wall is not
directly above - if that makes sense - which again makes me think its
non supporting. I will be getting someone in to assess this properly,
but I'm just looking for a general idea of what this will cost me to
do.

The wall in question also houses my fuse box (not my mains switch, that
is elsewhere) so this would need to be moved aswell - perhaps only
about 50mm onto an adjoining wall.

My question is, roughly how long would this take to do and what should
I expect to pay (I live in central London) someone for doing this? A
friend who rebuilt the majority of his house thinks its about a half
day's job and should cost maybe £500 tops. Is this in the right ball
park or is he miles away on his estimates?!

Many thanks

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Matt wrote:

Hi,

I am converting a fair sized kichen and small dining room into one big
open kitchen/diner and need to take out a wall in between the 2 rooms.
The wall in question is 2.6m wide, and has an arch/walkway in it
already that is about half (1.3m or perhaps slightly more) the width
of the wall. The wall is solid/brick but I don't think it is a
supporting wall - I am no expert, but assume that as a lot of the
wall has already been taken out to make the arch that it can't be
supporting. There is a bathrom directly above this wall, but the
bathroom wall is not directly above - if that makes sense - which
again makes me think its non supporting.

I can't comment on cost, but I'm afraid that your logic is somewhat flawed!

Firstly, there is almost certainly a lintel over the archway - between the
two remaining sections of wall - which is holding up whatever the whole wall
originally held up.

The fact that there is not another wall built directly on top of it doesn't
necessarily mean that it is not load bearing. Depending on the direction of
the joists, it could well be supporting the upstairs floor. If the bathroom
wall is a stud partition built off the floor, and not above another wall,
the wall in question could have a share in supporting the bathroom wall plus
anything supported off that in turn - like upstairs ceiling joists.

Your best bet is to get a structural engineer to look at it *now* and advise
you what needs to be done. If the wall *is* structural, you'll need to
replace the wall with a full length RSJ or similar to support what is above.
If you're lucky, you may be able to install this at the same level as the
joists, so as to have a completely flat ceiling.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Plowman (News)

In article . com,
Matt wrote:
The wall is solid/brick but I don't think it is a supporting
wall - I am no expert, but assume that as a lot of the wall has already
been taken out to make the arch that it can't be supporting.

Never *ever* assume any wall - even a stud one - isn't supporting. I'm
afraid you need an expert to assess this.

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...

----- snip

Anyone got any ideas on the logistics/costs behind moving the fuse box
or indeed any estimated time/costs to get this job done?

We have just had a new consumer unit fitted...
Fairly big job... New tails, Wylex 19 way - only 3 slots unused.
The team of two (one very competent, the other an "apprentice")
were here for most of the day...
Total cost - inc parts and Vat was £350.
Didn't seem too bad to me..
We are in Hampshire.

Interestingly we too are about to knock down a wall with an
arch between the the kitchen and dining room!

Roy

Posted to uk.d-i-y
RzB

"RzB" wrote in message
"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...

----- snip

Anyone got any ideas on the logistics/costs behind moving the fuse box
or indeed any estimated time/costs to get this job done?

We have just had a new consumer unit fitted...
Fairly big job... New tails, Wylex 19 way - only 3 slots unused.
The team of two (one very competent, the other an "apprentice")
were here for most of the day...
Total cost - inc parts and Vat was £350.
Didn't seem too bad to me..
We are in Hampshire.

Interestingly we too are about to knock down a wall with an
arch between the the kitchen and dining room!

Roy

pics...

http://www.gillandroy.com/diy/newcu

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

Many thanks - most useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Bacon

Matt wrote:
Many thanks - most useful.

What was?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matt wrote:
Im not fussed about having a completely flat ceiling, an RSJ across
where the existing wall kind of making a partition in the ceiling is
fine with me - i may have to leave the very edge of the walls in anyway
as i think the plumbing runs inside up to the bathroom, otherwise will
need to box the pipes in anyway. Again, as am amatuer I have no idea
and can only assume you are right about there being a lintel over the
arch.

Anyone got any ideas on the logistics/costs behind moving the fuse box
or indeed any estimated time/costs to get this job done?

You chould chip away at some of the plaster above the existing arch to
see what's already there. You could also either remove some fo the
ceiling or flooring above to see what the joist situation is like.
You'll need someone to say whether the upstair can support itself
without that wall there (or not). Also the side walls will need to be
judged to see how much of existing wall needs to remain to brace them
if necessary and/or to support the RSJ (UB) if necessary.

A friend paid I think 2 grand for a wall knock-through which I thought
was expensive and I've also heard very high prices for moving consumer
units. If all in it's a days job for a couple of people how much would
*you* want to be paid for that time if it were you?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

My time/costs are irrelevant as I'm not in that trade..!!

BUT (assuming i get someone structural around first to confirm it all)
I surely wouldnt be looking at more than about 3-400 labour for the day
- otherwise you're looking at pro rata 100k ish a year for the main man
assuming he brings an apprentice or junior with him, which is a lot -
or am I being naive?

I'm hopefully going to get a few quotes in soon, but if i can get the
wall and consumer unit done for 1 - 1.5k (no idea of costs on top of
labour here) i think thats probably about right - otherwise I'm in the
wrong game!!

Will post back quotes if they seem extortionate, opinions apreciated.

Matt

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bacon wrote:
Matt wrote: