Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ask This Old House... WTF?

On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 01:19:45 +0000, Bill wrote:

A bit OT, but I know a lot of folks here watch it.

In this past weekend's show, Tom goes all the way to Las Vegas to ...
help someone straighten up her garage? WTF? I kept waiting for the
other shoe to drop: a cracked slab, bowed walls, leaking roof,
something that required the intervention or assistance of a pro. But
no, she just needed help assembling some particle board cabinets. Why
in the world was this segment green-lighted? Anybody who can read
assembly instructions and use a screwdriver would have learned
nothing.

Am I off base?

No, I don't think you are. Over the last year or two I have found that
This Old House has got so involved in building and remodeling to the
extent that the most things are way above what the home owner would want
to do, with very little how-to being done. It has become more to a
entertainment show rather than a how-to show in my opinion. That may be
way they have made Ask This Old House so simple. A lot of things I see on
this show, I think any home owner with a little thought and intelligence
could do without help.

Paul T.

http://www.USENETHOST.com 100% Uncensored , 100% Anonymous, 5$/month Only!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
A bit OT, but I know a lot of folks here watch it.

But
no, she just needed help assembling some particle board cabinets. Why
in the world was this segment green-lighted?

Two weeks ago Richard changed the aerator on a facet. The guy had poor flow
for two years and did not know to check the aerator to see if it was
clogged. This must have been a relative of his with the cabinets. I guess
there are a lot of people with NO mechanical ability.

Posted to rec.woodworking
gw gw is offline

"Bill" wrote in message
A bit OT, but I know a lot of folks here watch it.

In this past weekend's show, Tom goes all the way to Las Vegas to ...
help someone straighten up her garage? WTF? I kept waiting for the
other shoe to drop: a cracked slab, bowed walls, leaking roof,
something that required the intervention or assistance of a pro. But
no, she just needed help assembling some particle board cabinets. Why
in the world was this segment green-lighted? Anybody who can read
assembly instructions and use a screwdriver would have learned
nothing.

Am I off base?

This reminds me of a scene I personally witnessed in Lowes this weekend. I
was in the storage aisle, looking at some plastic bins, and I encountered a
store employee helping a woman (I'm guessing in her early 50's) load some of
their "high-quality" particle board knock-together shelving onto a cart.
After thanking him for loading it for her, she began lamenting (near tears)
that she was A. On disability B. All alone C. Had no friends D. Was unable
to do "anything" for herself.

She managed to convince the guy to come over to her house later and unload
the shelves and put them together. She then happily pushed her 300lb. cart
away. On my way out, I saw her load the shelving into her car all by
herself.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"gw" wrote in message
This reminds me of a scene I personally witnessed in Lowes this weekend. I
was in the storage aisle, looking at some plastic bins, and I encountered
a store employee helping a woman (I'm guessing in her early 50's) load
some of their "high-quality" particle board knock-together shelving onto a
cart. After thanking him for loading it for her, she began lamenting (near
tears) that she was A. On disability B. All alone C. Had no friends D. Was
unable to do "anything" for herself.

She managed to convince the guy to come over to her house later and unload
the shelves and put them together. She then happily pushed her 300lb. cart
away. On my way out, I saw her load the shelving into her car all by
herself.

One of those "fixed income" folks who have to choose between eating Purina
or taking meds, I assume? Then park in the handicapped spaces with their
Cadillacs and sprint across traffic to the entrance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "gw" wrote:

This reminds me of a scene I personally witnessed in Lowes this weekend. I
was in the storage aisle, looking at some plastic bins, and I encountered a
store employee helping a woman (I'm guessing in her early 50's) load some of
their "high-quality" particle board knock-together shelving onto a cart.
After thanking him for loading it for her, she began lamenting (near tears)
that she was A. On disability B. All alone C. Had no friends D. Was unable
to do "anything" for herself.

She managed to convince the guy to come over to her house later and unload
the shelves and put them together. She then happily pushed her 300lb. cart
away. On my way out, I saw her load the shelving into her car all by
herself.

LOL -- I think I know her!! Did this happen on the west side of Indianapolis
by any chance?

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

blueman wrote in :

snip
Next time, maybe they can call Richard in to to scrub a toilet bowl or
maybe call Roger to help rake the leaves...

They already did the leaf raking piece a couple of years back with Roger &
Steve Thomas...

Patriarch,
thinking that this has _never_ been a high-end show...
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Oct 2006 00:47:07 -0500, Test Tickle
wrote:

But I have to agree that the
garage cabinet segment was just crazy. Don't order cabinets if you
can't assemble them -- or ask a neighbor with a screwdriver to help,
in exchange for dinner, or a sixpack. That was the dumbest segment
I've seen.

Glad I'm not the only one who was perplexed by that segment. Every
week, Howdy Doody brags about the enormous volume of letters and email
that they are receiving, and yet they sent a crew across the country
to show someone how to use a screwdriver... egad. For a project so
simple, surely one of Silva's neighbors has a messy garage, and he
could have walked to work that day.

In this day of reality television, anybody can be on TV. Think of the
episodes as a handyman challenged contest. Ya know, like a home repair
special olympics. Where EVERYONE is a winner.

I wonder if I can get Nahm to clean my office.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"gw" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Sounds kind of like my mom!! If I would let her I could live at her house
and work full time at fixing and remodeling! I don't mind helping out once
and a while, but seriously I could have spent 20 hours a week with her this
summer doing stuff. If I ignore her it seems to get done anyway!
When she bought the house I spent four whole weekends doing things that
really needed to get done before she settled in. After that the work request
kept rolling in and I pulled the plug! She found some local handy man that
likes to work for minimum wage!

Work that she asked me to do,
1. Total rewire of the house
2. Re-roof
3. Re-side
4. re-insulate
5. new deck, (I gave in and did this one on a Saturday with the help of my
sister and her boy friend)
6. remodel the kitchen, including moving the entrance door, and a window.
Those were just the major jobs, I still have done numerous small jobs to
many to list!
I have to remind her I do have a life, family and a house of my own!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" wrote in
:

*snip*

Work that she asked me to do,
1. Total rewire of the house
2. Re-roof
3. Re-side
4. re-insulate
5. new deck, (I gave in and did this one on a Saturday with the help
of my sister and her boy friend)
6. remodel the kitchen, including moving the entrance door, and a
window. Those were just the major jobs, I still have done numerous
small jobs to many to list!
I have to remind her I do have a life, family and a house of my own!
Greg

Hey, sounds like the work we need done! Know anyone good who's having a
two-for-one special? lol

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking
gw gw is offline

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
. net...
In article , "gw"
wrote:

[...]

Nope, Maine. Where 4 out of 5 people around you at any time are on
assistance programs.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg O" wrote in message

"gw" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

Just be thankful that you have a mom, period. I know there has to be a
stopping point somewhere, but where was her stopping point when she was
raising you?

Posted to rec.woodworking

Sounds to me like it might have been better to have built a whole new house!

Also, I thought 4 or 5 people around you at one time in Maine was considered
a crowd!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Taylor wrote:
Just be thankful that you have a mom, period. I know there has to be a
stopping point somewhere, but where was her stopping point when she was
raising you?

You've got to be kidding. Maybe your mother couldn't say "no" to you but my
mother suffered no such disability.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , "Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote:
Tim Taylor wrote:
Just be thankful that you have a mom, period. I know there has to be a
stopping point somewhere, but where was her stopping point when she was
raising you?

You've got to be kidding. Maybe your mother couldn't say "no" to you but my
mother suffered no such disability.

LOL! Neither did mine -- or my wife. Our kids have plenty of experience
hearing that word.
"Can I have these designer jeans?"
"No. We're paying for Levis. You want Calvin Kleins, you pay the difference."
"I guess Levis are ok."

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
Tim Taylor wrote:
Just be thankful that you have a mom, period. I know there has to be a
stopping point somewhere, but where was her stopping point when she was
raising you?

You've got to be kidding. Maybe your mother couldn't say "no" to you but
my mother suffered no such disability.

Well your kinda missing the point a little. I never knew my mom. She died 2
day's after giving birth to me. So I grew up in a home. But what I really
meant was not asking for anything stupid, but having clothes on your back,
meals on the table, and a roof over your head for however many years. She
never asked for anything in return while she was giving you all that did
she? Except maybe a few chores? I'd gladly do for my parents if I had any.
Well, I consider the old man and woman down the street a close relation.
That's why I got no problem doing for them.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Taylor wrote:
Just be thankful that you have a mom, period. I know there has to be a
stopping point somewhere, but where was her stopping point when she was
raising you?

You've got to be kidding. Maybe your mother couldn't say "no" to you but
my
mother suffered no such disability.

LOL! Neither did mine -- or my wife. Our kids have plenty of experience
hearing that word.
"Can I have these designer jeans?"
"No. We're paying for Levis. You want Calvin Kleins, you pay the
difference."
"I guess Levis are ok."

LOL, I understand completly what your saying, but that definitly wasn't what
I was talking about. See my response to Mortimer.
Hell I'm 50 years old and still don't have anything but Rustler brand.
Wal-Mart specials baby!!!

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Taylor wrote:
Just be thankful that you have a mom, period. I know there has to be a
stopping point somewhere, but where was her stopping point when she was
raising you?

You've got to be kidding. Maybe your mother couldn't say "no" to you but
my
mother suffered no such disability.

LOL! Neither did mine -- or my wife. Our kids have plenty of experience
hearing that word.
"Can I have these designer jeans?"
"No. We're paying for Levis. You want Calvin Kleins, you pay the
difference."
"I guess Levis are ok."

LOL, I understand completly what your saying, but that definitly wasn't what
I was talking about. See my response to Mortimer.

Yeah, I saw it. Sorry -- didn't know.

Hell I'm 50 years old and still don't have anything but Rustler brand.
Wal-Mart specials baby!!!

Me too, actually.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
news

Tim Taylor wrote:
Just be thankful that you have a mom, period. I know there has to be a
stopping point somewhere, but where was her stopping point when she
was
raising you?

You've got to be kidding. Maybe your mother couldn't say "no" to you
but
my
mother suffered no such disability.

LOL! Neither did mine -- or my wife. Our kids have plenty of experience
hearing that word.
"Can I have these designer jeans?"
"No. We're paying for Levis. You want Calvin Kleins, you pay the
difference."
"I guess Levis are ok."

LOL, I understand completly what your saying, but that definitly wasn't
what
I was talking about. See my response to Mortimer.

Yeah, I saw it. Sorry -- didn't know.

Aint no need to be sorry!!!

Hell I'm 50 years old and still don't have anything but Rustler brand.
Wal-Mart specials baby!!!

Me too, actually.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Taylor wrote:
Well your kinda missing the point a little. I never knew my mom. She died 2
day's after giving birth to me. So I grew up in a home. But what I really
meant was not asking for anything stupid, but having clothes on your back,
meals on the table, and a roof over your head for however many years. She
never asked for anything in return while she was giving you all that did
she? Except maybe a few chores? I'd gladly do for my parents if I had any.
Well, I consider the old man and woman down the street a close relation.
That's why I got no problem doing for them.

There's your problem then... you never had to give anything back. Trust me, my
mother was never bashful about asking for help. So while she provided for me
when I was too young to take care of myself, I had most of my adult life to pay
her back. Believe me, she didn't make out too badly.

Were it only "a few chores"....

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Miller wrote:
LOL, I understand completly what your saying, but that definitly wasn't what
I was talking about. See my response to Mortimer.

Yeah, I saw it. Sorry -- didn't know.

Hey, my mom is dead too. Can I borrow some money?

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim Taylor wrote:
[...]

I can understand where your coming from. It's just one of them things that
I'll never know and shouldn't spout off about. Sometimes I can't help it
though. That's why I do for the old couple down the street as much as I can.
They take care of my animals when I go out of town, she a helluva cook, so I
eat there whenever I can. They never "ask" for anything, but I know what
they want. Christmas is a wonderful time for both them and me. Guess we all
have somebody. I'm sure you've got some one like that too. But, since I
never had a chance to know either of my parents and have the upbringing like
most, all I can do is say "Well hell, I'd do this, that and the other thing
a whole lot different." I'll back out now. Shouldn't have stuck my nose in
where it don't belong.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message
m...

"Greg O" wrote in message

"gw" wrote in message

"Bill" wrote in message
[...]

I seem to remember allot of stopping points as I was growing up!
You did see the part where I mentioned the small jobs, too numerous to
mention?? Re-hang doors, replace the water heater, repair the lawn mower,
move furniture, fix her car, replace the garage door, replace the kitchen
faucet, repair the furnace, install a sump pump pit, hang ceiling fans,
strip the garage siding and board up the windows to prep it for the siding
installers...it never ends! I never said that I never help out! I just
refuse to spend so much time there that I may as well move in! I dare you
to work 40-50 hours a week then spend EVERY weekend for the last two years
fixing, remodeling at your mother's house. That is how much time it would
take me to do work she has had done. There is no way I could do it all
myself and still maintain my home and family! At this point, raising my own
daughter, and spending time with my wife is more important than satisfying
my mother's wishes! Also after I have gotten older I realize I could give my
mother ALL my time and effort and she would just ask for more!
I love my mom, and glad she is around, but I never agreed to take care of
her when she is able to do very well on her own!
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 20:59:43 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com wrote in message
m...

There's your problem then... you never had to give anything back. Trust
me, my mother was never bashful about asking for help. So while she
provided for me when I was too young to take care of myself, I had most of
my adult life to pay her back. Believe me, she didn't make out too badly.

Were it only "a few chores"....

Likewise!

I'll toss in a "me too" as well. At this point, I'm pretty sure they
owe me for crap I've done for them out of pity- seeing as how I
haven't been paid for it with much of either cash or kindness, and
I've ignored the part of balance sheet where the old man had an awful
lot of senseless late-night drunken beatings coming. I wrote that one
off when he finally laid off the sauce and turned into an wretched old
coot.

It's a give and take, for sure. I don't think you can balance the
sheets at the end of the day, just figure out what you are and aren't
willing to help each other out with. Just because they share your
blood, that doesn't always make them worth bending over backwards for.

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Bill wrote:
A bit OT, but I know a lot of folks here watch it. [cut]
But
no, she just needed help assembling some particle board cabinets. Why
in the world was this segment green-lighted? Anybody who can read
assembly instructions and use a screwdriver would have learned
nothing.

Man, that's hillarious. I watched the first 3 episodes of that show,
but that "What is it?" segment was so annoying, I stopped.
I agree with the other poster that Howdy Doody is annoying.

I stopped watching the regular "This Old House" as well too. You just
get tired of watching people pay 30k or whatever for marble tile in the
bathroom. Then you have Norm telling people their cabinets are crap
because the drawers aren't dovetails (to justify Norm building a new
china cabinet or whatever). I like Norm, but just because he has a
dovetail jig doesn't mean his cabinets are better than the stuff the
carpenter made 100 years ago.
Anyhow, This Old House (and Extreme Makeover) are just so out of touch
with the financial reality of 99% of the population that they just
aren't fun to watch.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Don't get me started on that whole "fixed income" thing.

I hate euphimisms to begin with but this one especially. Almost everyone I
know is on a "fixed income" - from myself to my boss to the mayor of our
town. Unless you work on commission you are on a fixed income! I know most
people who use the phrase mean that their income is limited but then they
should say that. In rebuttal I would say that while their income may be
fixed it is also (almost always) guaranteed. They can't bet fired like most
of us can.

Rant off.