Posted to rec.woodworking
Me Me is offline

Default finish for cherry

What finish should i use on a cherry jewelry box ,i live in the UK so
some of the terms or products from over the pond i may not be familiar
with .TIA F.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Lee is offline

I just put on a good varnish (poly) and admire the woods natural beauty. Oh
and I do not let it sit in direct sunlight as the darkening affect can be
uneven from side to side I do however prior to putting on the poly let it
sit in the sun(rotating about very few hours) until it reaches the shade I
like.
"Me" wrote in message
What finish should i use on a cherry jewelry box ,i live in the UK so some
of the terms or products from over the pond i may not be familiar with
.TIA F.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Most folks consider adding any color to Cherry a crime. Me too.

The October Fine Woodworking Magazine has a nice simple finish that
happens to be shown on Cherry. They describe in detail a way to get a
good fast finish.

I do a similar finish but ut takes longer.

Sand to 220. Put a single coat of tung oil or biold linseed oil per
instructions, just to help increase the contracst in the Cherry and
darken it a bit. Then use Shellac. The trick with shellac is to thin it
out well and use several thin coats with some 400 or fine grit in
between and finally some steel wool and wax.

Obviously, try the finish on extra wood, sanded to the same grit for
starters and go all the way to the wax steps to be sure it has the look
you want. A hasty finish has ruined more wood projects than any other
mis-step.

Me wrote:
What finish should i use on a cherry jewelry box ,i live in the UK so
some of the terms or products from over the pond i may not be familiar
with .TIA F.

Posted to rec.woodworking

yes tung oil then shellac
I like to wet sand the last couple coats of shellac by putting down some
tung oil then using a wet dry sandpaper. The final step is fine pumice
with tung oil before some furniture wax to protect the shellac

the photo doesn't do the box justice but here is a jewelry box I did a
couple years ago

http://home.comcast.net/~wskossack/boxes/cherry.html

Me wrote:

What finish should i use on a cherry jewelry box ,i live in the UK so
some of the terms or products from over the pond i may not be familiar
with .TIA F.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , wrote:
yes tung oil then shellac
I like to wet sand the last couple coats of shellac by putting down some
tung oil then using a wet dry sandpaper. The final step is fine pumice
with tung oil before some furniture wax to protect the shellac

the photo doesn't do the box justice but here is a jewelry box I did a
couple years ago

http://home.comcast.net/~wskossack/boxes/cherry.html

Very nice.

--
Regards,

Posted to rec.woodworking

My favorite finish for cherry, especially items which will not see wear and
abuse, is natural Danish oil(brand name here is Watco, but I'm sure there are
others over your way). After several days to cure, apply several coats of high
quality paste wax. It will positively glow, and virtually foolproof to apply.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Me wrote:
What finish should i use on a cherry jewelry box ,i live in the UK so
some of the terms or products from over the pond i may not be familiar
with .TIA F.

Haven't heard anybody mention a couple coats of decent Sears paint yet.
humph,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:34:50 GMT, Me wrote:

What finish should i use on a cherry jewelry box ,i live in the UK so
some of the terms or products from over the pond i may not be familiar
with .TIA F.

For cherry? I'd use a couple of coats of latex paint.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:34:50 GMT, Me wrote:

What finish should i use on a cherry jewelry box ,i live in the UK so
some of the terms or products from over the pond i may not be familiar
with .TIA F.

For cherry? I'd use a couple of coats of latex paint.

Yellow? In the spray cans?

Posted to rec.woodworking
Me Me is offline

Tim Taylor wrote:
"Prometheus" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 16:34:50 GMT, Me wrote:

What finish should i use on a cherry jewelry box ,i live in the UK so
some of the terms or products from over the pond i may not be familiar
with .TIA F.

For cherry? I'd use a couple of coats of latex paint.

Yellow? In the spray cans?

Thanks for the finishing tips the oil sounds good (or yellow and red
stripes would look different)one of my boxes is on www.aldel.co.uk its
in the photos with the welsh dragon .F

shiny/matt patches on emulsion finish - how to get the 'mattest' finish [email protected] UK diy 0 February 18th 06 12:50 PM
How to Touch Up Wood Finish? [email protected] Woodworking 0 January 9th 06 04:40 PM
Oak Dining Table colin UK diy 14 March 15th 05 02:45 PM
finish on kitchen cabinets leon spinks Home Repair 4 December 1st 04 11:31 PM
Can we use water based finish on oil based finish for maintenance coats? John Smith Woodworking 6 April 28th 04 05:45 PM