Posted to rec.woodworking

Default any feedback on the HF tools?

hello,

wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments?

cyrille

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 25, 8:17 am, "cyrille de Brebisson" wrote:
hello,

wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments?

cyrille

Life is too short to buy and use cheap tools! Why not look into a
quality plane that will give you a lifetime of satisfaction?
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments?

Haven't use them, but at $4.33 each (unless you can wait for a sale),
each one is exactly 3.46% of the price of my last plane purchase, and
that was on sale. If I needed something like that, I'd definitely try
them, with the assumption they'd need some good lapping and sharpening.
If I saw them in the store for half price, I'd probably get them even
if I didn't have an immediate use for them. Let us know how they work.
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:
Life is too short to buy and use cheap tools! Why not look into a
quality plane that will give you a lifetime of satisfaction?
Dave

Life is also too short to wait until you can afford a "quality" plane,
especially if you need one now. It's also too short to wait until you
can afford every supposed "quality" tool when a "cheap" tool will work
just fine currently. If I spent all my money on the tools I'm
"supposed" to get, I'd probably be still waiting to finish that
birdhouse from 7th grade. If you can afford the high end tools, that's
fine and dandy, but if you're on a tool budget, there's absolutely
nothing wrong with the dreaded Harbor Freight. Blasphemy I know, but my
great-grandfather managed to build a three-story house without the
Hitachi Power Sneakers.

Might have to tinker with the planes from HF, but it's been my
experience using planes, from the antique planes passed down from my
great-grandfather to high end planes that you have to tinker with them
anyway.

Woodworkers from the 1800s are laughing at us.

Posted to rec.woodworking

cyrille de Brebisson wrote:
hello,

wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments?

Last time I was at HF, I was looking for those and would've bought them
without hesitation. Even if they're completely useless (doubtful), I've
learned something for only $12.

I bought a smoothing plane there for $10. Something to play with and
possibly destroy without crying.

Why even think about a $10 tool purchase? Just grab it. If nothing
else, you can hang it on the wall, and everyone will think you're Mr.
Tool Guy.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ivytheplant wrote:
Teamcasa wrote:
[...]

I tend to agree. Buying the best almost always makes sense if you're
going to use something frequently. You will make up the cost in the
longevity of the tool, and it will almost certainly do the job a little
(or, in some cases, a lot) better.

However, for the weekend warrior who only needs a certain tool once in a
blue moon, having a cheap version is a lot better than having none at
all. And since a lot of us can't afford to spend top dollar on a tool we
will only use a few times a year, buying cheap makes a certain amount of
sense. (I'd rather have a beat-up old clunker to drive across town than
to walk 10 miles every day while I was saving up for a BMW.)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
(I'd rather have a beat-up old clunker to drive across town than
to walk 10 miles every day while I was saving up for a BMW.)

Exactly. And there's no rule that says you can't still save up for the
BMW while driving the clunker.

Posted to rec.woodworking

ivytheplant wrote:
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
(I'd rather have a beat-up old clunker to drive across town than
to walk 10 miles every day while I was saving up for a BMW.)

Exactly. And there's no rule that says you can't still save up for the
BMW while driving the clunker.

And still drive the clunker on crappy days...
Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Wed, Oct 25, 2006, 3:17pm (EDT+4)
(cyrille*de*Brebisson) waves and says:
hello,
wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments?

Got a flyer today, they're on saile until sometime in Nov for $9
something. If I was modelmaking I'd either make my own, or get a set.
If the blades aren't any good I've got an old saw blade or three and
figure I could make replacements easy enough.

JOAT
It's not hard, if you get your mind right.
- Granny Weatherwax

Posted to rec.woodworking

cyrille de Brebisson wrote:
hello,

wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments?

cyrille

I think 13 bucks plus shipping isn't a bad price to get a little
insight into what you personally like, dislike, want, and don't want,
in a hand plane, so you can go out and buy one that suits you. Or five
or six. :-)

You'll put a lot of work into them, you'll tinker with 'em, and you'll
learn something without shelling out triple digit dollars. Sounds good
to me even if you end up chucking all of 'em out the window in a fit of
rage. Which you probably won't.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
Wed, Oct 25, 2006, 3:17pm (EDT+4)
(cyrille de Brebisson) waves and says:
hello,
wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments?

Got a flyer today, they're on saile until sometime in Nov for $9
something. If I was modelmaking I'd either make my own, or get a set.
If the blades aren't any good I've got an old saw blade or three and
figure I could make replacements easy enough.

Not exactly high-use items in anyone's toolbox, I'm sure. With meathooks
like mine, they would be next to useless anyway.

I get a lot of use out of my Kunz palm plane, though.
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...ROD&ProdID=620

Use your saw blades for scrapers or scratch stocks and make holders big
enough for your hands.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"cyrille de Brebisson" wrote in message
hello,

wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments?

cyrille

I've bought several HF tools all with very good luck EXCEPT on items with a
blade of some sort. Chisels wouldn't hold their edge etc. Have no experience
with these planes BUT from past experience with cutting tools - I'd pass.

Posted to rec.woodworking

cyrille de Brebisson wrote:

wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments?

Not printable comments.

I'm ashamed to say that someone once gave me one of these. Even with a
disproportionate amount of tuning work, it's still barely usable as a
door wedge. Save your money!

Posted to rec.woodworking

ivytheplant wrote:

Life is also too short to wait until you can afford a "quality" plane,

What, like $5 ?

You can get a perfectly serviceable old Stanley #4 or #5 for that sort
of money and an evening's work. Even my "best" #4 (a perfect rosewood
Sweetheart and one of the best performing planes I own) only cost me
£40ish, which is what I spent on dinner last weekend.

There is _NO_ excuse for ever buying an Anant or similar abomination.

Posted to rec.woodworking

(J T) wrote in
:

Wed, Oct 25, 2006, 10:25am (EDT-3)
(ivytheplant)
doth sayeth:
Life is also too short to wait until you can afford a "quality" plane,
especially if you need one now. It's also too short to wait until you
can afford every supposed "quality" tool snip
Woodworkers from the 1800s are laughing at us.

You've got that right. I was spending my "quality tool" money
raising two sons on my own. Possibly the only reason Ive got a shop
today, albeipt small - 8'X12', and most of the tools I've got, is
because I got a unexpected bouns when my job at the time shut down.
If not for that I'd have been a lot longer in getting any shop at all.
The shop might be small, and i might have a batch of HF and other
inexpensive tools in it, but they all work, and I try to be properly
grateful for what I do have. I bet woodworkers from at least the
mid-1900s are laughing too, that or they're all saying "WTF is wrong
with those people?".

My wife & I raised 4 sons, and we're pretty pleased with how they turned
out. For most of the time while they were at home, I borrowed tools
from Dad, or friends, and 'made do', or bought a very few good tools.

When they finally moved out, and completed college, the money was there
for some good tools, and I bought a bunch of them. Now I take them to
the boys' places, and work on their projects, or take them up, and work
on my dad's house.

JOAT's plan of buying what you can afford, when you can afford it, and
painting it yellow, makes an awful lot of sense to me. It's just really
hard to do with a Lie Nielsen plane, ;-)

There's nothing wrong with buying a Harbor Fright tool, if that's what
you need, or want, or all you can afford. There is very little value in
having more tooling than you can use.

Enjoy all of this. Doesn't last forever.

Patriarch
Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, I go along with a lot of HF stuff, but the plane I got is just a
starting point.
I don't think I could make it work properly with any amount of work short of
remachining.
Used real plane every time!
WL
"Patriarch" wrote in message
. 136...
(J T) wrote in
:

Wed, Oct 25, 2006, 10:25am (EDT-3)
(ivytheplant)
doth sayeth:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:
wondering if any of you had bought these planes and have comments?

Haven't use them, but at $4.33 each (unless you can wait for a sale),
each one is exactly 3.46% of the price of my last plane purchase, and
that was on sale.

I was there today and saw them. If they're not all ready on sale,
they will be going on sale for about $10 in November according to
the sale flyer available in the store. At that price, it seems
like a safe gamble you'll get something of use.

I didn't buy them today, but probably will later on. I noticed,
when checking out the packaging, they are made of a combination of
metal and wood. The outsides are something like brass or bronze
which is sandwiching a wood sole.

One thing that I've been wondering is how I'd sharpen their blades,
given they're so small. The blades look to be too small to fit my
honing guide, so I'm guessing they'd have to be done by hand.

remove ".invalid".
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote in news:YNN%g.21601$e66.20037
@newssvr13.news.prodigy.com:

ivytheplant wrote:
Charlie M. 1958 wrote:
(I'd rather have a beat-up old clunker to drive across town than
to walk 10 miles every day while I was saving up for a BMW.)

Exactly. And there's no rule that says you can't still save up for the
BMW while driving the clunker.

And still drive the clunker on crappy days...

What? And let everyone know I have a clunker (still).
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Michael Faurot" wrote in news:jda514-
:

Andy wrote:
[...]

Darn, by hand. The cutters are only a half an inch wide. They look to be
three inches long. I didn't see the planes other than the picture, but they
looked pretty solid for 5 inch planes. Grinding new cutters shouldn't be
much of a chore. I don't know what I would use planes this small for.
Hank
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy Dingley " wrote in
oups.com:

ivytheplant wrote:

Life is also too short to wait until you can afford a "quality" plane,

What, like $5 ?

You can get a perfectly serviceable old Stanley #4 or #5 for that sort
of money and an evening's work. Even my "best" #4 (a perfect rosewood
Sweetheart and one of the best performing planes I own) only cost me
£40ish, which is what I spent on dinner last weekend.

There is _NO_ excuse for ever buying an Anant or similar abomination.

Andy,
These planes look to be 4-5 inches long with a half inch cutter. They
appear to be brass with a rosewood infill. On the website they looked kind
of cute.
Regards,
Hank
Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy Dingley wrote:
There is _NO_ excuse for ever buying an Anant or similar abomination.

Then how the hell was a couple HF planes and a dollar store plane able
to make a houseworth's of extensive cabinetry and shelving? If they're
so terrible, then they shouldn't be usable at all. Unless there's a rip
in the space-time continuum.

I still maintain that woodworkers from days of yore are rofling at us.
In fact, I'd bet my table saw on that :P

Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa wrote:
Life is too short to buy and use cheap tools! Why not look into a
quality plane that will give you a lifetime of satisfaction?
Dave

"ivytheplant"
[...]

I frankly could care less that you buy their Chinese, slave labor, costing
US jobs, cheap junk.
As for the old time furniture builders, they used the best tools and
technologies available to them at the time. If they had access to a
Unisaws, 20" bandsaws, vacuum bagging, hi-tech adhesives, shapers and 3hp
variable speed routers, carbide cutting tools, A2 and stainless steel,
diamonds, compressed air and the tools they operate, polyurethane and many
other advances, they would and do use them now.

I too have tools from the 1800's, passed to me by my father, grand and great
grand father. They are the tools they used, they were the best ones they
could afford or build themselves, and subsiquently, still good today. I
doubt, serioulsy doubt any tool sold by HF will still be around in 200
years, much less working.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Henry St.Pierre wrote:

One thing that I've been wondering is how I'd sharpen their blades,
given they're so small. The blades look to be too small to fit my
honing guide, so I'm guessing they'd have to be done by hand.

Darn, by hand. The cutters are only a half an inch wide.

They might be a bit more narrow than that, maybe only 3/8"--but I'm
not certain.

They look to be three inches long. I didn't see the planes other than
the picture, but they looked pretty solid for 5 inch planes.

The bodies aren't that long. Maybe 3".

I don't know what I would use planes this small for.

I've seen planes this small and smaller used for making musical
instruments. I'm not a luthier, but I can see using these for
trimming and tweaking a variety of things.

remove ".invalid".
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Teamcasa" wrote:

Teamcasa wrote:
[...]

There are a number of reasons why I buy tools. Subsidising an e-bay gloat
200 years from now is not one of them.
Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

boorite wrote:
Last time I was at HF, I was looking for those and would've bought them
without hesitation. Even if they're completely useless (doubtful), I've
learned something for only $12.

I'm not trying to be condescending. If you enjoy buying a HF plane for
the
challenge of making it usable and enjoy spending an afternoon tinkering
with it,
then the $12 is justified.

If you are like me, time in the shop is at a very high premium. I just
don't have time
to dink around with HF stuff and try to get it to work. Even if someone
gave me a HF plane
for free, I wouldn't want it. Takes up space in the shop and I don't
want to fool with it.

If money is tight for the OP, he should buy a sanding block and some
quality sandpaper
for the same amount of money. He'll get more use out of that and
probably better results
on his project. Granted I have no idea what he intends to do with those
little planes, but
it just seems like an exercise in frustration to me, unless you
consider part of the hobby is tinkering with stuff.

It just seems foolish to flush $12 down the toilet at HF for something
that is probably useless. I thought buying jigsaw blades at HF was a
good idea, until I used them and realized how dull and weak they were.
I bought some other crap there too. I would've been better off spending
that 45 minutes at home instead of shopping at HF.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 09:01:05 -0400, J T wrote:

I don't much like the new cars,
but if I did, I'd go for one made in the USA - by an American company -
and it'd probably still have something on it made in China - or Mexico,
or wherever.

IIRC, for the highest percentage of "made in the USA" content, you would
be driving a Toyota. Unless, of course, we are talking about that town in
China named "USA".

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

"ivytheplant"
Woodworkers from the 1800s are laughing at us.

"Teamcasa"
I doubt, serioulsy doubt any tool sold by HF will still
be around in 200 years, much less working.

"Lobby Dosser"
There are a number of reasons why I buy tools. Subsidising an e-bay gloat
200 years from now is not one of them.

You missed the point. Again.
HF tools are cheap and designed to be short lived. If the OP, or anyone
else wants to buy and struggle through using them, only to toss them after
limited use, it OK with me.
There will always be people that tout the cheap route thinking they
outsmarted everyone else by getting such a good deal. They are happy in
this knowledge - until they actually use a high quality tool.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Teamcasa
I frankly could care less that you buy their Chinese, slave labor,
costing US jobs, cheap junk. snip

"J T"
From that remark I take it then you own nothingat all made in
China, eh? Betcha do.

Just to clear a few things up. Yes, I do own some Chinese stuff. Its very
hard to avoid. However, I do make an effort to avoid it when possible.

Just out of curiosity, in what country was your vehicle(s) made?

My current vehicles, 2003 Chevy crewcab 4x4 dually (Duramax), 2005
Trailblazer.

In the meantime, I'll continue to buy tools I can actually afford
(if I can't make what I need instead), that'll do the job for me, rather
than doing without. The way I look at it, if the tools were pure crap
(like a lot of people claim) the Chinese couldn't keep selling them,
they aren't stupid you know.

The Chinese are definitely not stupid. However, US consumers, lets say
this, make poor choices from time to time. I too buy tools I want, need or
just enjoy using. I simply decide to save and wait to buy the tool I think
balances quality vs cost vs overall value.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Henry St.Pierre wrote:

These planes look to be 4-5 inches long with a half inch cutter.

I own one. They're crap.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Teamcasa" wrote:

"ivytheplant"
Woodworkers from the 1800s are laughing at us.

"Teamcasa"
I doubt, serioulsy doubt any tool sold by HF will still
be around in 200 years, much less working.

"Lobby Dosser"
There are a number of reasons why I buy tools. Subsidising an e-bay
gloat 200 years from now is not one of them.

You missed the point. Again.
HF tools are cheap and designed to be short lived. If the OP, or
anyone else wants to buy and struggle through using them, only to toss
them after limited use, it OK with me.

I OWN some HF tools. I buy HF tools carefully. One of the very big
advantages to HF tools is that they ARE inexpensive. If I drop my 4"
angle grinder from the roof to concrete, I'm out $9.00. If I drop the
DeWalt, I'm out a Bunch more. I don't need an angle grinder that will
last 200 years. I need one that is inexpensive and will do the job.

If I'm doing pro work I'll buy the best saw that I can afford that will
do what I need it to do. I'll Still buy the HF angle grinder.

There will always be people that tout the cheap route thinking they
outsmarted everyone else by getting such a good deal. They are happy
in this knowledge - until they actually use a high quality tool.

I OWN some high quality tools. None of the power tools will last 200
years - Period. Most of the hand planes that I own belonged to someone
else 50 or a 100 years ago. Two of them date back to the 1750s. I tune
them to work for me. I've even 'modified' some by sawing and grinding off
bits that get in the way of what *I* want it to do. If I had paid $400.00
for that plane I would be Very reluctant to do that. As it is, the most
expensive planes I own are the 250 year old planes - I paid $25.00 each
for them and bought them just because liked the idea of owning them. I
could use them, but I just like them sitting there and neither does
anything I want done right now. If the need arises, I Will use them.

If you really want to buy tools that will last 200 years, that's fine.
Everybody has his own excuse for buying another tool, but don't knock it
if you haven't tried it.

Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy Dingley " wrote:

Henry St.Pierre wrote:

These planes look to be 4-5 inches long with a half inch cutter.

I own one. They're crap.

And unless you get it into a landfill or recycling, the damn thing will
still be around 200 years from now for someone to display! )
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
"Teamcasa" wrote:

You missed the point. Again.
HF tools are cheap and designed to be short lived. If the OP, or
anyone else wants to buy and struggle through using them, only to toss
them after limited use, it OK with me.

I OWN some HF tools. I buy HF tools carefully. One of the very big
advantages to HF tools is that they ARE inexpensive. If I drop my 4"
angle grinder from the roof to concrete, I'm out $9.00. If I drop the
DeWalt, I'm out a Bunch more. I don't need an angle grinder that will
last 200 years. I need one that is inexpensive and will do the job.

Preciesely. I too buy some HF tools, depending on the tool. The notion of
struggling through using them is a foolish notion - they work just like
their counterparts that cost many times more. Limited use? Bull. The
tools that I have purchased from HF have performed every bit as well as the
name brand stuff - but I don't buy every tool that HF sells, either. I'm
with you on the use of the tool - I really don't care where my HF angle
grinder is in 200 years. Likely it will be in the same place as the Snap On
grinder it replaced - in the landfill.

There will always be people that tout the cheap route thinking they
outsmarted everyone else by getting such a good deal. They are happy
in this knowledge - until they actually use a high quality tool.

Many of us have indeed used "high quality tools" as well as the cheap
counterparts. The argument is that the difference you suggest is often,
simply not there.

I OWN some high quality tools. None of the power tools will last 200
years - Period. Most of the hand planes that I own belonged to someone
else 50 or a 100 years ago. Two of them date back to the 1750s. I tune
them to work for me. I've even 'modified' some by sawing and grinding off
bits that get in the way of what *I* want it to do. If I had paid $400.00
for that plane I would be Very reluctant to do that. As it is, the most
expensive planes I own are the 250 year old planes - I paid $25.00 each
for them and bought them just because liked the idea of owning them. I
could use them, but I just like them sitting there and neither does
anything I want done right now. If the need arises, I Will use them.

I agree. There is a romantic notion that suggest something "wonderful"
about a tool that is 200 years old. The thing is, the tool was just a tool
when it was manufactured. It's age is more of its attraction today than its
superior qualities. If that tool had continued to be used daily it surely
would not be laying around to be purchased, 200 years later. Its age is no
reflection of anything - except its age.

If you really want to buy tools that will last 200 years, that's fine.
Everybody has his own excuse for buying another tool, but don't knock it
if you haven't tried it.

I have no problem with anyone's personal preference in tools, but these
threads come up and the same tool-snob cliches and attempted put downs come
up as predictably as big boogers after a day of sanding. Oh well...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I have no problem with anyone's personal preference in tools, but
these threads come up and the same tool-snob cliches and attempted put

downs come up as predictably as big boogers after a day of sanding.

LOL!! You just have to be from the south. Only folks I know can come up
with 'colorful' expressions like that are from the south. )

Oh well...

Uh Huh ...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mike Marlow" wrote:

I have no problem with anyone's personal preference in tools, but
these threads come up and the same tool-snob cliches and attempted put

downs come up as predictably as big boogers after a day of sanding.

LOL!! You just have to be from the south. Only folks I know can come up
with 'colorful' expressions like that are from the south. )

Nope - but I did eat at a Shoney's a couple of times...

--

-Mike-