Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Material Like MDF But For Exterior Use / What Is It Called? / Suitability For Windows?

I was watching a show recently and a comment was made about some
material that they were using. It came in 4 x 8 sheets like MDF but
was rated for outdoor use. Anyone know what this stuff is?

I was thinking about looking into possibly using it for a garden
window, which would ultimately be painted. Any comments? Alternate
suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Flash Gordon wrote:

I was watching a show recently and a comment was made about some
material that they were using. It came in 4 x 8 sheets like MDF but
was rated for outdoor use. Anyone know what this stuff is?

I was thinking about looking into possibly using it for a garden
window, which would ultimately be painted. Any comments? Alternate
suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

MDO?

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

It came in 4 x 8 sheets like MDF but
was rated for outdoor use.

Like the man said. MDO Medium Density Overlay. According to Norm
they use it for road signs and he seems to use it a lot for outdoor
projects. IIRC it had a thin smooth paper sufrace, thus the Overlay.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hi Flash:

Someone else posted Extira. That would work for what you want.

Do NOT use MDO. MDO is plywood with exterior glue and waterproof paper
laminated to one or both sides. It's great for signs, provided the
edges are banded with solid wood and nothing is nailed or screwed into
it. MDO gets recommended a lot, and I used to recommend it myself, but
I've seen what can happen if moisture finds it's way into a panel. It
rapidly rots away from the inside out. I don't recommend it any more.

Regards,
John.

Flash Gordon wrote:
I was watching a show recently and a comment was made about some
material that they were using. It came in 4 x 8 sheets like MDF but
was rated for outdoor use. Anyone know what this stuff is?

I was thinking about looking into possibly using it for a garden
window, which would ultimately be painted. Any comments? Alternate
suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking

the_tool_man wrote:
Hi Flash:

Someone else posted Extira. That would work for what you want.

Do NOT use MDO. MDO is plywood with exterior glue and waterproof paper
laminated to one or both sides. It's great for signs, provided the
edges are banded with solid wood and nothing is nailed or screwed into
it. MDO gets recommended a lot, and I used to recommend it myself, but
I've seen what can happen if moisture finds it's way into a panel. It
rapidly rots away from the inside out. I don't recommend it any more.

Based on my experience with epoxy, plywood, and fasteners when
attempting to use same for boat building, when drilling a hole thru
plywood, I always use the following:

1)Drill a 3/4" hole for 1/4" bolts, 1-1/4" hole for 1/2" bolt, etc.

2)Tape bottom of hole shut and fill proud with micro-balloon thicked
epoxy.

3)When cured, sand flush, then drill thru hole in epoxy for bolt.

4)Paint as required.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

There are several exterior MDF's ... Medex is the most
widely known....

http://www.sierrapine.com/products/m...ex/default.asp