Posted to rec.woodworking
Lew Hodgett Lew Hodgett is offline

Default Material Like MDF But For Exterior Use / What Is It Called? /Suitability For Windows?

the_tool_man wrote:
Hi Flash:

Someone else posted Extira. That would work for what you want.

Do NOT use MDO. MDO is plywood with exterior glue and waterproof paper
laminated to one or both sides. It's great for signs, provided the
edges are banded with solid wood and nothing is nailed or screwed into
it. MDO gets recommended a lot, and I used to recommend it myself, but
I've seen what can happen if moisture finds it's way into a panel. It
rapidly rots away from the inside out. I don't recommend it any more.

Based on my experience with epoxy, plywood, and fasteners when
attempting to use same for boat building, when drilling a hole thru
plywood, I always use the following:

1)Drill a 3/4" hole for 1/4" bolts, 1-1/4" hole for 1/2" bolt, etc.

2)Tape bottom of hole shut and fill proud with micro-balloon thicked
epoxy.

3)When cured, sand flush, then drill thru hole in epoxy for bolt.

4)Paint as required.

Lew