Posted to rec.woodworking

Default No such thing as "safe"

In the past month I have managed to cut my head on my hearing protectors,
scrape my knuckle on the dust collector, and poke myself in the eye with my
safety glasses.

None of these were serious, but all of them interrupted the work--couldn't
see after the poke in the eye until my eye stopped watering, and the other
too bled just enough that I had to do something about them to keep from
bleeding all over the work.

Anybody else manage to damage themselves with their safety equipment or
should I just hang it up and check into a padded cell, where, no doubt, I'll
manage to smother myself in the padding?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
In the past month I have managed to cut my head on my hearing protectors,
scrape my knuckle on the dust collector, and poke myself in the eye with
my safety glasses.

None of these were serious, but all of them interrupted the work--couldn't
see after the poke in the eye until my eye stopped watering, and the other
too bled just enough that I had to do something about them to keep from
bleeding all over the work.

Anybody else manage to damage themselves with their safety equipment or
should I just hang it up and check into a padded cell, where, no doubt,
I'll manage to smother myself in the padding?

When I do that my wife calls me a KLUTZ

Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Tim is offline

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
In the past month I have managed to cut my head on my hearing protectors,
scrape my knuckle on the dust collector, and poke myself in the eye with
my safety glasses.

None of these were serious, but all of them interrupted the work--couldn't
see after the poke in the eye until my eye stopped watering, and the other
too bled just enough that I had to do something about them to keep from
bleeding all over the work.

Anybody else manage to damage themselves with their safety equipment or
should I just hang it up and check into a padded cell, where, no doubt,
I'll manage to smother myself in the padding?

Can't say that I have. How do you cut yourself with hearing protection.

Nearly killed myself three years ago when it turned out that my old rappel
device was too big for my new rope (next time I will check before going over
the cliff...), but that is rather different; the safety device failed to
protect me, rather than hurting me directly.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Been there done that Tim, I lost 6 front teeth to a bad ascender. But boy
let me tell ya that drop was incredible, till my teeth decided to try and
grab ahold of something for me!

Searcher

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim" wrote in message

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
In the past month I have managed to cut my head on my hearing protectors,
scrape my knuckle on the dust collector, and poke myself in the eye with
my safety glasses.

None of these were serious, but all of them interrupted the
work--couldn't see after the poke in the eye until my eye stopped
watering, and the other too bled just enough that I had to do something
about them to keep from bleeding all over the work.

Anybody else manage to damage themselves with their safety equipment or
should I just hang it up and check into a padded cell, where, no doubt,
I'll manage to smother myself in the padding?

Can't say that I have. How do you cut yourself with hearing protection.

Dang if I know. Went to put it on, one muff slipped out of my hand and
whacked me in the head. I didn't think anything about it until I rubbed the
spot where it hit a little bit later and then put red fingerprints on the
board I was sanding (I wear the earmuffs when I'm sanding because the shop
vac attached to the sander is _loud_).

Nearly killed myself three years ago when it turned out that my old rappel
device was too big for my new rope (next time I will check before going
over the cliff...), but that is rather different; the safety device failed
to protect me, rather than hurting me directly.

Glad you survived. Hope there was no lasting harm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Oct 2006 19:26:50 -0400, "J. Clarke" wrote:

In the past month I have managed to cut my head on my hearing protectors,
scrape my knuckle on the dust collector, and poke myself in the eye with my
safety glasses.

None of these were serious, but all of them interrupted the work--couldn't
see after the poke in the eye until my eye stopped watering, and the other
too bled just enough that I had to do something about them to keep from
bleeding all over the work.

Anybody else manage to damage themselves with their safety equipment or
should I just hang it up and check into a padded cell, where, no doubt, I'll
manage to smother myself in the padding?

Never lower your face shield with a cigarette in your mouth.. DAMHIKT

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

Tim wrote:
"J. Clarke" wrote in message
[...]

that's why you always keep an old figure 8 around if you had your hands
in the right doesn't mater the size of the rope. so says the climber
with 2 plates 7 screws form popping on a 5.6 - 5.7 trad climb, all the
pro in the world wont help if you don't place it, and no climb is so
easy that you don't need to bother until your 20'+ up.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Tim Tim is offline

Glad you survived. Hope there was no lasting harm.

Fortunately my partner went first and was smarter than me. He immediately
pulled the rope from below, which stopped me. Otherwise it would have made
the worst woodworking accident look like nothing.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

LOL. This sounds like something strait out of the Three Stooges.

"Rick's Cabinet Shop" wrote in message
I hurt myself 2 times in the past month with my hearing protection.... I
have large ear muff type, nice and cushy... except when you put them on in

hurry, get the left side on and have the right slip out at full spring
tension.... The earpiece always seem to spin around and crack me in the
head... hurts like all get out..

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
In the past month I have managed to cut my head on my hearing protectors,
scrape my knuckle on the dust collector, and poke myself in the eye with
my safety glasses.

None of these were serious, but all of them interrupted the work--couldn't
see after the poke in the eye until my eye stopped watering, and the other
too bled just enough that I had to do something about them to keep from
bleeding all over the work.

Anybody else manage to damage themselves with their safety equipment or
should I just hang it up and check into a padded cell, where, no doubt,
I'll manage to smother myself in the padding?

My son and I went into Lowe's yesterday and loaded up 6 sheets of T1-11.
Noticing 2 staples sticking out of the edge of one of the sheets I promptly
pulled out my pocket knife to remove the staple as I knew that I would be
scratched by the exposed end before we got home with it.
During the extraction process the staple cut my thumb and I had to follow a
sales associate around for 10 minutes as he tried to find me a band aid.
Hum. An ounce of prevention was not worth a pound of cure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

My son and I went into Lowe's yesterday and loaded up 6 sheets of T1-11.
Noticing 2 staples sticking out of the edge of one of the sheets I promptly
pulled out my pocket knife to remove the staple as I knew that I would be
scratched by the exposed end before we got home with it.
During the extraction process the staple cut my thumb and I had to follow a
sales associate around for 10 minutes as he tried to find me a band aid.
Hum. An ounce of prevention was not worth a pound of cure.

Thanks. I remember now that I have not yet put a first aid kit in my
new car. Ditto for a fire extinguisher.

--

FF

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
et:

My son and I went into Lowe's yesterday and loaded up 6 sheets of
T1-11. Noticing 2 staples sticking out of the edge of one of the
sheets I promptly pulled out my pocket knife to remove the staple as I
knew that I would be scratched by the exposed end before we got home
with it. During the extraction process the staple cut my thumb and I
had to follow a sales associate around for 10 minutes as he tried to
find me a band aid. Hum. An ounce of prevention was not worth a pound
of cure.

I wish they'd find some other way to attach the tags and things. Those
staples are a pain to deal with. There's always two or more in just
about every board.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Most of the time I just trim the end of my finger
off with the knife during the "removing" phase.

Blood in my truck is nothing new...

Leon wrote:

During the extraction process the staple cut my thumb

and I had to follow a sales associate around for 10 minutes
as he tried to find me a band aid.
Hum. An ounce of prevention was not worth a pound of cure.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Most of the time I just trim the end of my finger
off with the knife during the "removing" phase.

Exactly what I did.

Big water cylinder thing? T i m UK diy 8 January 10th 06 12:05 AM
A Terrible Thing Happened...... [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 30th 05 08:37 PM
NEWSGROUP "SPAM" - No Such Thing. Newsgroups are public. [email protected] Home Repair 7 October 25th 05 09:09 PM
Dumbest thing Leo Lichtman Metalworking 47 October 7th 05 10:18 PM
Nokia Digivision 6352 nicam.....Can i some how reset this thing ??? MrDude Electronics Repair 0 May 21st 05 04:01 PM