Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Repair sanding belt??

--I've had a brand new 6" wide sanding belt waiting patiently
(probably more than a year) on a hook for the day I need it on my Delta,
then I go to put it on and I see it's hung there a little tooooo long:
it's now ripped almost completely across! Is there a way to fix this that
will last a decent amount of time?
--TIA,

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Proud to be the
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : family crackpot!
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

steamer wrote:
--I've had a brand new 6" wide sanding belt waiting patiently
(probably more than a year) on a hook for the day I need it on my Delta,
then I go to put it on and I see it's hung there a little tooooo long:
it's now ripped almost completely across! Is there a way to fix this that
will last a decent amount of time?

In all likelihood, no. BTW, most manufacturers of belts don't warranty
adhesives for over a year--after that, you're on your own. I had a
(unfruitful, but pleasant and educational) discussion on the subject w/
one of Klingspoors' engineers a year or so ago on the same subject.
The adhesives they use are UV-cured but not rated by their manufacturer
for over a year, hence the limitation. I've found nothing that will
hold from off-the-shelf adhesives. Anybody here that has one, would be
interested as well...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 14 Oct 2006 17:45:16 GMT, steamer wrote:

--I've had a brand new 6" wide sanding belt waiting patiently
(probably more than a year) on a hook for the day I need it on my Delta,
then I go to put it on and I see it's hung there a little tooooo long:
it's now ripped almost completely across! Is there a way to fix this that
will last a decent amount of time?
--TIA,

Take a look at
http://www.amgron.clara.net/hintsntips/sandingbelts.htm

I have used this technique for years now and it works well, but I buy
the belt material on a bulk roll With a precut-premade belt it's
unlikely you will have enough slack to join it. I suppose you could
always insert a patch with 2 joins?

Barry Lennox

Posted to rec.woodworking

Barry Lennox wrote:
Take a look at
http://www.amgron.clara.net/hintsntips/sandingbelts.htm

--Hmmm interesting! I could use this also if I bought sanding belt
in a roll. Not sure if this would work for a repair tho, as there's no slack
to make a diagonal joint. Will give it a try with cloth and titebond, then
stand back, heh. I wouldn't want to try it with hot glue though, for fear
it might overheat and pop apart. It'd also gum up the works, yes?

I have used this technique for years now and it works well, but I buy
the belt material on a bulk roll With a precut-premade belt it's
unlikely you will have enough slack to join it. I suppose you could
always insert a patch with 2 joins?

--Another good idea, but I haven't got but the one belt. I'll
probably wind up using it as a nonskid pad on a worktable!

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Proud to be the
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : family crackpot!
www.nmpproducts.com
---Decks a-wash in a sea of words---
Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

I don't know of a glue that will work. That said, it is not a god idea to
have belts around that long. They get brittle after a year or so and break.
I had an old 6x48 come loose and slap me pretty good once. Now, I only buy
them if I know I'm going to use them soon.