Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Chair Reproduction Saga - proposed seat choice finalized!

If you've been following along, the goal is to do a fairly accurate
reproduction/capture the feel, times six, of the following chair, beloved by
SWMBO, but perhaps with a bit of modern updating:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/MysteryChair1a.jpg

The poplar "prototype" chair, which I made first to work out the joinery
details, was used to further model, and hopefully solve, a protracted
spousal struggle over the seat choice/design:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CrftsManCh18.JPG

.... which had the effect of just further fueling the controversy.

Now here is one of the new QSWO chair frames (1 of 6 awaiting resolution of
same controversy), equipped with a "prototype" wooden seat (once again of
poplar, but stained with the same stain so as not to throw my colorblind eye
off too far with the huge contrast of stained/unstained wood):

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/CrftsManCh22.JPG

Lesson Learned: Never underestimate the value of "prototyping, for it is
what finally convinced SWMBO of my superior wisdom in the matter. d&r

_We_ are going with the wooden seats, with the only difference being that
they will be made of 1 1/4" thick QSWO, instead of the 3/4" thick poplar in
the last photo above.

... and Thanks to Leon for researching/providing me the location/phone
numbers of all the known hardwood dealers between Hot Springs, AR and
Houston, TX (while I was stranded in the former for two days this week
without online access), enabling me to find some nice QSWO for the wooden
seats, on what would have otherwise been just a long, monotonous drive home.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/01/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message

At least one pro furniture maker "always" makes prototypes, out of
cheaper wood of course. And later sells the prototypes, once he's done
with 'em.

Makes good sense all the way round.

In this case, the practice of prototyping both "sold" SWMBO on the type of
seat I wanted, and she got to keep the original prototype, with the
upholstered seat, for her desk.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/01/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

_We_ are going with the wooden seats, with the only difference being that
they will be made of 1 1/4" thick QSWO, instead of the 3/4" thick poplar in
the last photo above.

The seat looks like slats inset across it. Will you explain why you
designed it is way? I'm wondering if it was for comfort or if the
design was more pleasing to you than a solid seat. I have never seen a
chair with this kind of seat before. Living in the hot old deep south
it might be something to keep in mind to cool hot bottoms.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Lesson Learned: Never underestimate the value of "prototyping, for it is
what finally convinced SWMBO of my superior wisdom in the matter. d&r

_We_ are going with the wooden seats, with the only difference being that
they will be made of 1 1/4" thick QSWO, instead of the 3/4" thick poplar in
the last photo above.

Looks nice, good job. Was the slat thickness primarily an esthetic or
structural decision?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"RicodJour" wrote in message

Looks nice, good job. Was the slat thickness primarily an esthetic or
structural decision?

More in keeping with the original chair design..

The original chair has a 1 1/8" thick seat, which was likely more a case of
"material on hand" or esthetic, than a structural issue.

Then again, I am always amazed at what a difference a small change in
material thickness makes in pleasing designs, and, as a result, I've been
trying for the past couple of years to get away from the "3/4 syndrome" that
pervades much of woodworking today.

I have currently changed the slat width to 3/4" and the thickness of the
seat to 1 1/4" ("material on hand" once again) in an new prototype just to
see what it looks/feels like, plus I want to experiment with a larger
round-over radius on the sides of the seat frame, as well as a different
round-over radius on the slats themselves.

While the latter may have a comfort component, these are basically esthetic
issues that I want to be perfectly satisfied with prior to completing the
project.

I do have a completion deadline, so I'll have to quit futzing with it after
this seat thickness issue is decided and "git r done".

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/01/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

The seat looks like slats inset across it. Will you explain why you
designed it is way? I'm wondering if it was for comfort or if the
design was more pleasing to you than a solid seat. I have never seen a
chair with this kind of seat before. Living in the hot old deep south
it might be something to keep in mind to cool hot bottoms.

Here's the story on the chair:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects10.htm

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/01/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message

The seat looks like slats inset across it. Will you explain why you
designed it is way? I'm wondering if it was for comfort or if the
design was more pleasing to you than a solid seat. I have never seen a
chair with this kind of seat before. Living in the hot old deep south
it might be something to keep in mind to cool hot bottoms.

I know that this is totally unrelated, but I am reminded of a guy who used
to make pack frames for hunters when I was growing up. The hunters would
get their deer, field dress them and haul out the meat on their backs. They
needed something that they could tie an unwieldy quarter of half deer to
their backs. Most of them used an army surplus pack frame.

But this old guy made these frames that had about 60 nylon cords that went
across the back. And everyone said it was the most comfortable packframe for
unwieldy loads that they had ever tried. Something about each cord handling
a percentage of the load.

Not a direct corollary, I know, but there may be more to this slat
arrangement than meets the eye.

Chair Repair -- Warning: Ugly! Mark Jerde Woodworking 12 March 24th 06 02:48 PM
What makes a chair a chair? [email protected] Woodworking 5 February 12th 06 10:26 PM
Looking for webbing for a chair seat Todd Fatheree Woodworking 10 May 8th 05 02:58 PM
chair seat steve Woodworking 10 January 17th 05 05:12 PM
Removing oil from oak chair seat Rumpty Woodworking 2 December 3rd 04 06:36 PM