Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Table Saw Gloat

A couple years ago I bought a bunch of tools from a guy who quit
woodworking. Floor drill press, 6" jointer, 12.5" planer, dust collector,
dado blade, two routers, Bessey K-Bodies & 14" bandsaw with riser. All were
in great shape. I hadn't heard from him since. Last week I got a email
from him saying another baby is on the way and he wanted to get rid of his
Jet 10" contractor saw. If I wanted to stop by and pick it up I could have
it for free.

Naturally I made the 100 mile round trip ASAP, before he changed his mind.
;-) There is some minor rust on the top after 2+ years of storage but
nothing a little elbow grease won't get rid of fast.

Space is limited in my single-car garage shop. I think I'll take the right
wing off my Grizz contractor saw and bolt the Jet TS in its place. The same
fence will then work with both saws. On some projects it will be great to
be able to leave the dado installed on one of them!

Of course I can't just bolt the Jet to the Grizz, I'll need to build a
cabinet that will hold both. I appreciate any ideas how I can have a single
dust port on the cabinet and switch collecting dust between the two saws.
My DC doesn't have the power to draw from both at the same time, and until I
upgrade the electricity I can't get one that will. I have several ideas but
sawdust could create jamming problems when switching the airflow.

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Jerde wrote:
[...]

First allow me to say with deep and profound feeling ---- "you suck"...
Now that that's said..

Easiest way I can think of would be to hook a hose up to either saw,
run them to a Y and have a blast gate on either side of the Y
junction... Just open the one you want to use. Put the Y in the
cabinet and you could use a wire or manual pull system to open the
gates from the outside... Maybe a rocker assembly that when the lever
is to the left the Grizz is open for business and vice versa for the
Jet...

And in case you missed it... you suck... ;-) (it's purely jealousy
speaking here)

Posted to rec.woodworking
bf bf is offline

Mark Jerde wrote:
Space is limited in my single-car garage shop. I think I'll take the right
wing off my Grizz contractor saw and bolt the Jet TS in its place. The same
fence will then work with both saws. On some projects it will be great to
be able to leave the dado installed on one of them!

Man, that's great fortune. Be sure and send the guy something for his
new baby.

If it was me, I'd sell the grizz and keep the Jet saw. My shop is
pretty good sized, but I couldn't justify having 2 table saws. I've
already got too much stuff crammed in there.

I'd ebay the grizz and use the cash to buy something you really need
(and a baby gift for the dude that gave you the Jet).

Posted to rec.woodworking

"bf" wrote in message
ps.com...

Mark Jerde wrote:
Space is limited in my single-car garage shop. I think I'll take the
right
wing off my Grizz contractor saw and bolt the Jet TS in its place. The
same
fence will then work with both saws. On some projects it will be great
be able to leave the dado installed on one of them!

Man, that's great fortune. Be sure and send the guy something for his
new baby.

Oh, I gave him some cash as a thank you. ;-) More than 1/3 of what I'd
been willing to pay for a used Jet.

Selling something can be a hassle, especially when it's disassembled, a
little rusty, in storage, and 15 minutes from your house. I performed a
valuable service by helping him empty heavy, heavy metal from his rented
storage bin. ;-)

If it was me, I'd sell the grizz and keep the Jet saw. My shop is
pretty good sized, but I couldn't justify having 2 table saws. I've
already got too much stuff crammed in there.

I'm going to have *two* table saws in the same floor space as my Grizzly.
Something like this.
http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com/T...et/index.shtml

I'm really looking forward to not having to mess around as much setting up
dados.

-- Mark

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Jerde" wrote in

[...]

Hmm,
Why would he want to get rid of his saw because another baby was on the
way? Did he need room in the basement or garage for another crib? Why
didn't he try to sell it for 4 or 5 hundred dollars? Must be a rich guy
with a small house.
Anyway you suck.
Hank

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark Jerde" wrote in

"bf" wrote in message
ps.com...

Mark Jerde wrote:
[...]

Yep, you suck.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark Jerde wrote:
I'm going to have *two* table saws in the same floor space as my Grizzly.
Something like this.
http://woodworking.bigelowsite.com/T...et/index.shtml

I'm really looking forward to not having to mess around as much setting up
dados.

I have a similar setup, but just one table saw. I made this cabinet
that's about 5'x5'. I integrated a delta contractor's saw into the
cabinet to get proper dust collection. Then I attached the bench dog
cast iron router table extension and attached dust collection to that.
There's also a large outfeed table. It's not done yet though. I have
more cast iron top I got from harbor freight that I need to attach. I
also have space for drawers and full-extension slides, but I haven't
built the drawers yet. I also have this space that I could use for
something, but I haven't decided yet. I'm thinking I'll put a hinged
top on the out/side feed table to make a large box to put bulky things
in. I also need to add an over-the-table blade guard. It's all on
casters. I also made it taller than a normal table saw so that it's
more comfortable for me.

brian