Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Router table top

Hey.

I have made my router table top of MDF. What should I treat it with? Enamel
paint, wax? Any suggestion?

May-Brith from Norway.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"May-Brith Nilsen" wrote in
:

Hey.

I have made my router table top of MDF. What should I treat it with?
Enamel paint, wax? Any suggestion?

May-Brith from Norway.

When I use MDF for jigs I finish them with shellac followed by paste wax.
For MDF shop cabinets I prime them with an oil-based primer followed by a
coat or two of spray enamel.
I have used polyurethane varnish on MDF (several coats) with good results
too.
Hank from NY

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 08:16:21 -0400, J T wrote:

Mine is made out of some rather ice plywood. I don't have any
finish on it at all. But if I were to put a finish on it, I'd probably
go with paste wax. Or, if I thought it would work better painted, I'd
paint it in a heartbeat - probably yellow.

Probably for about the same reason I paint my shop-built stuff purple.
It's so ugly that no one is tempted to borrow it.

Bill
Posted to rec.woodworking

May-Brith Nilsen wrote:

I have made my router table top of MDF. What should I treat it with? Enamel
paint, wax? Any suggestion?

I followed the path of least resistance, using a sink cutout in
laminate.
It worked, but clamping guide boards was a pain, because the textured
surface was slippery (as other posters have noted).

So, I coarse-sanded it to give it some tooth. A C-clamp (aka G-cramp)
now
holds a fence on just fine.

So, if I used MDF, I'd finish the top with PVA adhesive, at least
around the edges.
But I've also glued sandpaper onto jig surfaces...

--- yet another weekend woodwright

coping sled plans? bdeditch Woodworking 5 January 31st 06 03:55 PM
Centering router on table base Oleg Lego Woodworking 49 January 15th 06 03:36 AM
router for a Porter-Cable router table? Dave Gower Home Repair 8 March 2nd 05 05:55 AM
router table setup Lewis Woodworking 6 November 25th 04 05:02 PM
An Ultimate Router Table - Part I: A Short Story Unisaw A100 Woodworking 15 August 4th 04 10:43 PM