Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Cleaning the router bit from glue...

Hi all,

I'm flush trimming a particleboard panel covered with a 2mm mahogany
plywood. The plywood is glued to the particleboard by using white glue. But
I have the problem the router bit gets dirty from the residual glue. I thing
the glue sticks to the bit because of the heat when routing. And it is very
difficult to clean 'cause when it colds, turns hard as rock. I've trying to
clean it mechanically by using a file, even sanding, taking care not to
damage the cutting edge. Recently I "discovered" the WD40 helps a lot...
What do you reccomend? The router bit is a steel cheap one but I don't like
to buy a new one for each cut...

Thanks in advance
Sammy

Posted to rec.woodworking

"SammyBar" wrote in message
reenews.net...
Hi all,

I'm flush trimming a particleboard panel covered with a 2mm mahogany
plywood. The plywood is glued to the particleboard by using white glue.
But I have the problem the router bit gets dirty from the residual glue. I
thing the glue sticks to the bit because of the heat when routing. And it
is very difficult to clean 'cause when it colds, turns hard as rock. I've
trying to clean it mechanically by using a file, even sanding, taking care
not to damage the cutting edge. Recently I "discovered" the WD40 helps a
lot...
What do you reccomend? The router bit is a steel cheap one but I don't
like to buy a new one for each cut...

Thanks in advance
Sammy

Vinegar softens white and yellow wood glue.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Vinyl acetate glues (white&yellow) soluble in Acetone & MEK. Let it
soak before cleaning with rag. Would not use metal to clean carbide,
chemistry & rags are best.

http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)
_________________________
SammyBar wrote:
Hi all,

I'm flush trimming a particleboard panel covered with a 2mm mahogany
plywood. The plywood is glued to the particleboard by using white glue. But
I have the problem the router bit gets dirty from the residual glue. I thing
the glue sticks to the bit because of the heat when routing. And it is very
difficult to clean 'cause when it colds, turns hard as rock. I've trying to
clean it mechanically by using a file, even sanding, taking care not to
damage the cutting edge. Recently I "discovered" the WD40 helps a lot...
What do you reccomend? The router bit is a steel cheap one but I don't like
to buy a new one for each cut...

Thanks in advance
Sammy

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 15:10:26 -0500, "SammyBar"
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm flush trimming a particleboard panel covered with a 2mm mahogany
plywood. The plywood is glued to the particleboard by using white glue. But
I have the problem the router bit gets dirty from the residual glue. I thing
the glue sticks to the bit because of the heat when routing. And it is very
difficult to clean 'cause when it colds, turns hard as rock. I've trying to
clean it mechanically by using a file, even sanding, taking care not to
damage the cutting edge. Recently I "discovered" the WD40 helps a lot...
What do you reccomend? The router bit is a steel cheap one but I don't like
to buy a new one for each cut...

Thanks in advance
Sammy

I have not really encountered your particular problem but, bits get
gummed up in a number of ways.
Because I don't always have the correct solvent hanging around,
gasoline seems to work well. Typically I use my chain saw mix as the
oil has benefit for the bearing structure, etc.. Just allow it to soak
for 30min or so and it should wipe off cleanly.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Brr. Gasoline is very flammable. All the authorities will tell you
never use gasoline to clean anything 'cause of the fire hazard.
Gasoline vaporizes readily. The vapor is explosive and heavier than air
so it settles to the floor and stays there, rather than floating off
into the air. A spill can cause an explosion when the vapor finds the
pilot light of the hot water heater, the sparks from a motor commutator,
or even a light switch.
For easy cleaning jobs I use alcohol (shellac thinner) or mineral
spirits (paint thinner). For tougher jobs acetone (nail polish remover)
or for really tough problems, methyl ethyl ketone, (MEK). MEK is a very
active solvent, capable of dissolving floor tile, lacquer, oil based
paint, many plastics, and who knows what else. Spilled MEK can cause
quite a mess. All of the above are available in ordinary hardware stores.

David Starr