Default Cleaning router bits

What can I use to clean the gum/junk off my router bits. I've seen
something in one of the catalogs (can't find it now), but surely
there's something I can pick up at Home Depot. I've tried minerial
spirits and acetone, but they don't work very well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rick
TEF

If its the same pitch and/or gum one finds on sawblades, I've had good luck
using a full-strength mixture of Simple Green cleaner. Just soak the bits
in the stuff for a few hours and the pitch wipes right off. I usual spray
the cleaned blades with WD40 before storing them. Don't see why SG wouldn't
work on router bits too.

Good luck

wrote in message
What can I use to clean the gum/junk off my router bits. I've seen
something in one of the catalogs (can't find it now), but surely
there's something I can pick up at Home Depot. I've tried minerial
spirits and acetone, but they don't work very well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rick

Jerry

What about oven cleaner? I have a can of tar/gum remover for saw
blades, router bits, etc. and it looks / smells / acts just like oven
clearner. When this ran out, I was going to just try oven cleaner.

wrote:
What can I use to clean the gum/junk off my router bits. I've seen
something in one of the catalogs (can't find it now), but surely
there's something I can pick up at Home Depot. I've tried minerial
spirits and acetone, but they don't work very well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rick

Dick Snyder

wrote in message
What can I use to clean the gum/junk off my router bits. I've seen
something in one of the catalogs (can't find it now), but surely
there's something I can pick up at Home Depot. I've tried minerial
spirits and acetone, but they don't work very well.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rick

I read a review in the Oct 2004 issue of Wood magazine. They reviewed a
number of products and found a product called Empire Blade Saver the best. I
bought some and I have been very happy with it. I did not clean router bits
but a very gummy saw blade. Look on www.empiremfg.com for info on where to
buy this product.
\
\In the Wood magazine article they gave a warning about cleaning router bits
which have a router bit bearing. The cleaner can remove the lubrication from
the bearing. They recommend removing the bearing, cleaning the bit, and
then reinstalling the bearing and treating it with a high-speed
router-bearing lubricant.

Dick Snyder

Leon

If you want something that is easy on your hands, actually works and works
fast, safe for the environment and was developed specifically for cleaning
bits, CMT Formula 2050. It will generally clean a bit with a wipe of a rag
almost instantly and a little goes a long way.

http://www.cmtrouterbits.com/catalog/cmtfor2050.htm

patrick conroy

"Jerry" wrote in message
oups.com...

What about oven cleaner? I have a can of tar/gum remover for saw
blades, router bits, etc. and it looks / smells / acts just like oven
clearner. When this ran out, I was going to just try oven cleaner.

It's been said and written that the manufacturers frown on over cleaner --
that it *may* loosen the carbide.
Whether this is like PVC and Dust Collector explosions, or not - I have no
idea.

I use Simple Green - and all it takes for my blades and bits is a couple of
minutes followed by a scrub then rinse. No idea why other folks (and Wood
magazine) need to soak their blades for hours. Maybe since I clean mine
every other month, it takes less time.

Upscale

It's only available in Canada, probably because of shipping regulations, but
there should be the equivalent of Lee Valley Tools resin cleaner in the US.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,41 080,41162

Doug Miller

In article MRKmd.623051$8_6.175279@attbi_s04, "Ace" wrote:
Try EasyOff oven cleaner. It works for me.

Washing soda is cheaper and less hazardous (EasyOff = lye in a spray can).

--
Regards,

patrick conroy

"Tom Walz" wrote in message
om...

We recommend oven cleaner. It is easy, fast, very effective and
everyone knows to be careful with it. It does affect the braze alloy
slightly however the effect is not important on a practical level. It

I suspected as much myself, but it was only a suspicion.

Caustic cleaners have been the industry standard in top end saw shops
for better than twenty years.

Thanks for weighing in on this.

Almost forgot I put this post up.

Thanks all for the replys.

Rick

I used EasyOff. Worked great. Careful that stuff is caustic!

Again thanks to all,
Rick