Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Oil-free compressor outside?

I have a little shed built into the side of my house in the driveway.
It's 6.5'L x 3'D x 7'H and in addition to shelves and garden tools I
was thinking about storing a compressor in it and running a metal line
through the wall to the garage so I could reduce noise and clutter and
use it in the winter.

I don't currently have a compressor, but a coworker is selling his
Craftsman 5HP 20gal oil-free compressor for $70.

Would there be any trouble running an oil-free compressor outside in PA
winters?

Mike

Posted to rec.woodworking
C&S C&S is offline

"IBM5081" wrote in message
oups.com...
For a more authoritative source, visit a nearby auto repair or tire
installation business in your area. See where they put their air
compressors and whether they are heated or unheated. Their units will
at least be concealed to avoid theft.

I don't know the answer to the OP's question but best practise for the 500
lb 5HP industrial oil-lubed units generally used at a garage probably have
little to do with what is good practice for a 110V portable compressor.

-Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a little shed built into the side of my house in the driveway.
It's 6.5'L x 3'D x 7'H and in addition to shelves and garden tools I
was thinking about storing a compressor in it and running a metal line
through the wall to the garage so I could reduce noise and clutter and
use it in the winter.

I don't currently have a compressor, but a coworker is selling his
Craftsman 5HP 20gal oil-free compressor for $70.

Would there be any trouble running an oil-free compressor outside in PA
winters?

Mike

Don't have an oil-free, but my BlackMax is in the shed next to the garage.
I've never had problems.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a little shed built into the side of my house in the driveway.
It's 6.5'L x 3'D x 7'H and in addition to shelves and garden tools I
was thinking about storing a compressor in it and running a metal line
through the wall to the garage so I could reduce noise and clutter and
use it in the winter.

I don't currently have a compressor, but a coworker is selling his
Craftsman 5HP 20gal oil-free compressor for $70.

Would there be any trouble running an oil-free compressor outside in PA
winters?

Mike

Don't have an oil-free, but my BlackMax is in the shed next to the garage.
I've never had problems.

Now that's interesting. At cold temperatures the oil thickens up and and
the compressor won't run. I take it you are not in the North.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message

Don't have an oil-free, but my BlackMax is in the shed next to the garage.
I've never had problems.

Location? Climate? That wouldn't work too well in the northeast.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

"Tim Taylor" wrote in message

Don't have an oil-free, but my BlackMax is in the shed next to the
garage. I've never had problems.

Now that's interesting. At cold temperatures the oil thickens up and and
the compressor won't run. I take it you are not in the North.

Not way up north, Kentucky. It does get cold here though. I keep a reflector
lamp aimed at the compressor when it's supposed to be cold. Although it's
never unbearable in the shed either. May be radiant heat from the garage???

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I don't currently have a compressor, but a coworker is selling his
Craftsman 5HP 20gal oil-free compressor for $70.

Would there be any trouble running an oil-free compressor outside in PA
winters?

Check the manual and see what they recommend. I have a small PC that is OK
in the cold, to at leas 20 degrees but I had a little compressor for
airbrushing that did not work at all below about 25 degrees.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Tim Taylor" wrote in
m:

Not way up north, Kentucky. It does get cold here though. I keep a

*snip*

It gets cool in Kentucky... I lived in Southern Illinois (about an hour
from Paducah) for a while and it never got cold. It may drop below
freezing (32F) once or twice, but never got down in the single digits.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Toller" wrote in message

Don't have an oil-free, but my BlackMax is in the shed next to the
garage. I've never had problems.

Now that's interesting. At cold temperatures the oil thickens up and and
the compressor won't run. I take it you are not in the North.

When I had a 2HP oil lube compressor it spent most of it's life in the
unheated attic of my garage. I ran 10 weight oil in it all year around. No
problems, North Dakota winters! I did have to remount the pressure switch.
It was mounted sideways so condensation would collect in it and freeze so
the unit would not run. Mounted the switch upright and had no more problems.
I replaced it with a 60 gallon that won;'t fit up in the attic, so I built a
closet in the corner for it.
Greg

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

wrote in message
I don't currently have a compressor, but a coworker is selling his
Craftsman 5HP 20gal oil-free compressor for $70.

Would there be any trouble running an oil-free compressor outside in PA
winters?

Check the manual and see what they recommend. I have a small PC that is

OK
in the cold, to at leas 20 degrees but I had a little compressor for
airbrushing that did not work at all below about 25 degrees.

Likewise, in upstate NY the temps drop to sub zero in the winter and I would
never consider a compressor outside.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Puckdropper" wrote in message
reenews.net...
"Tim Taylor" wrote in
m:

Not way up north, Kentucky. It does get cold here though. I keep a

*snip*

It gets cool in Kentucky... I lived in Southern Illinois (about an hour
from Paducah) for a while and it never got cold. It may drop below
freezing (32F) once or twice, but never got down in the single digits.

Puckdropper

Rare occasions it gets into the single digits and stays there. a couple days
last winter it got blistering cold, so I just moved the lamp a little
closer. But, like Greg, I usually change the oil to a lighter weight in
early December till around March.

THANX cutegirl Electronics Repair 0 March 25th 06 11:00 AM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM