Posted to rec.woodworking

Default PC 7518 Getting Hot

I have contacted PC about my 7518 router getting hot even after light use
and they said they
are not aware of this problem. I have also contacted my local PC service
center. This is the
second router I have tried. The first one had the same problem While
googling the net and this
newsgroup I have found other people with this problem and that maybe the
bearings are the
problem. What I want to know has anybody had a resolution to this problem.

Thanks,
Ted

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bigpole" wrote in message

I have contacted PC about my 7518 router getting hot even after light use

What I want to know has anybody had a resolution to this problem.

I was not too surprised for a motor that big to generate some serious heat,
and you're right ... it does.

However, I'm not going to worry too much as long as it keeps doing the job
(which it has for quite a few years now), and in a place where it seems to
be best suited/designed for ... in a router table.

... too damn big to hand route with anyway, IMO.

On that last note, I just walked out of the shop where I was using a little
Bosch Colt to round over some edges, and, as small as it is, it was fairly
hot to the touch after a few minutes use.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/29/06

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey Bigpole,
I recently added a 7518 to Jessum router lifter and after shaping some
12 foot boards I noticed that the lifter plate was extremely warm.
Prior to this I had DeWalt or PC 690 router in the lift (using the
associated adapter) and never noticed any heat buildup. I also have my
dc system drawing air from below the router and I thought this would
help cool the unit too.
I'm going to continue using it as long as it keeps cranking out the
boards. I'm taking the same attitude as Swingman.
Marc

Bigpole wrote:
I have contacted PC about my 7518 router getting hot even after light use
and they said they
are not aware of this problem. I have also contacted my local PC service
center. This is the
second router I have tried. The first one had the same problem While
googling the net and this
newsgroup I have found other people with this problem and that maybe the
bearings are the
problem. What I want to know has anybody had a resolution to this problem.

Thanks,
Ted

Posted to rec.woodworking

I have seen the phenomena in most routers but not all samples from the
same model number. Have not had a router engineer come clean yet
regrading this thermal calamity. I don't know either, I'm guessing its
an armature fitting problem that wears itself into an equilibrium with
time.
I would pay attention to plate & top flatness, and I'd sweat the lube
liquifyling and decomposing. I don't think the problem is normal but it
is probably within normal limits of manufacturing and assembly.
Damn, I've had them so hot, with only a few minutes of light run time,
that I could not hold the tool. Not Kosher, not nice and, to be sure,
unacceptable.
................http://www.patwarner.com (Routers)
__________________________________________________ ______________________-

Bigpole wrote:
I have contacted PC about my 7518 router getting hot even after light use
and they said they
are not aware of this problem. I have also contacted my local PC service
center. This is the
second router I have tried. The first one had the same problem While
googling the net and this
newsgroup I have found other people with this problem and that maybe the
bearings are the
problem. What I want to know has anybody had a resolution to this problem.

Thanks,
Ted

Posted to rec.woodworking

Bigpole (in ) said:

| I have contacted PC about my 7518 router getting hot even after
| light use and they said they
| are not aware of this problem. I have also contacted my local PC
| service center. This is the
| second router I have tried. The first one had the same problem
| While googling the net and this
| newsgroup I have found other people with this problem and that
| maybe the bearings are the
| problem. What I want to know has anybody had a resolution to this
| problem.

If they're not aware of the problem, it's because they're very
carefully ignoring it. A sizable number of ShopBot owners use the 7815
and have reported that they've had the same problem and have reported
it to PC.

I use a 5 hp industrial spindle on my Bot and haven't paid attention
to the PC response. You might check in on the ShopBot Forum
(www.talkshopbot.com) and ask there...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

Thanks Morris, I'll check talkshopbot.
Ted
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Bigpole (in ) said:

| I have contacted PC about my 7518 router getting hot even after
| light use and they said they
| are not aware of this problem. I have also contacted my local PC
| service center. This is the
| second router I have tried. The first one had the same problem
| While googling the net and this
| newsgroup I have found other people with this problem and that
| maybe the bearings are the
| problem. What I want to know has anybody had a resolution to this
| problem.

If they're not aware of the problem, it's because they're very
carefully ignoring it. A sizable number of ShopBot owners use the 7815
and have reported that they've had the same problem and have reported
it to PC.

I use a 5 hp industrial spindle on my Bot and haven't paid attention
to the PC response. You might check in on the ShopBot Forum
(www.talkshopbot.com) and ask there...

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar