Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Relative router bit worth

Semi-new to routing.
I have built a router table in a wing of my table saw and finally got
around to getting a decent (2.5 rated hp) router with a 1/2" collet. Now
comes the fun part ... buying bits and learning how to use them (well).

What bit patterns do you consider essential for a newbie? ... just plain
fun to use? ... best brand for the buck? I've used a straight bit with
bearing to trace a pattern from a template but am otherwise still a rank
newb. I want to make some cabinet doors for around the house (mostly the
kitchen), add tongue & groove (or other fancy) joints to my slicing board
glue-ups and maybe make some replacement window frames for my garage.

I don't expect to do any freehand routing in the near future (I also have
a smaller router).

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

There is some good info above so I won't be redundant.
However, I would buy a couple useful but simple (roundover, straight,
etc) bits and get to know the machine before heading off on the
project. In addition, I would use both your new table and your smaller
hand held model. It is important to become proficient at both.

FYI- Recently, in desperation, I ended up buying a Ryobi bit. It was
so low in price that I expected it to be junk. But to my surprise it
is not as bad as I had concerned.

Good Luck!
Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

Ok, Bill... here's what I did and I expect to get flamed for it.. *g*

I bought 1 "good" bit, a 3/8" half-round, which is my most used bit... I round
the edges on most things from hardboard bench tops to shelf fronts..

Then I got the assortment of 1/2" bits from Harbor freight...

I think I paid about $40 for it, but IMO it's worth the $60 when not on sale..

I popped the 3 plastic tilting holders out of the box and put them in a drawer
in the router table using a strip of peg board for the holes to let them
swivel..

My intent was to have a lot of shapes to play/experiment with and find which
bits I used enough to replace with "good" ones, but I've used and abused these
for a few years and they've been great... YMMV
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis
Posted to rec.woodworking

You might want to peek at the Sept/Oct Fine Woodworking "Ten Essential
Routre Bits"
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...fw_186_062.asp for a
preview.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Ryobi surprise, was Relative router bit worth

Joe Bemier wrote:

FYI- Recently, in desperation, I ended up buying a Ryobi bit. It was
so low in price that I expected it to be junk. But to my surprise it
is not as bad as I had concerned.

That squares with my general experience with Ryobi. I need a cheap
blurfl ASAP which of course will soon be replaced by a "real" blurfl...
and years later the Ryobi is still doing general duty. That's the case
with a 1/4 sheet palm sander I have and also a 1.5 hp fixed-base
router. In fact, that same router, but with a Crapsman badge, was my
father's only router for years, and he was making nice furniture.
(Obviously not cope-and-stick joints, but hey.) Then he got a P-C,
which of course went into the table, and so I'd say we still use the
Ryobi more.

But then there's the Ryobi detail sander, which is currently way ahead
in the paperweight sweepstakes.

And on a slightly different note, I'm more likely to skimp on the power
tool-- but carefully, of course-- than on bits, blades, etc. To me, as
long as the $50 Ryobi router holds the bit square to the base and spins
it, then it makes perfect sense to get that and put a $50 bit in it.
I'd put a WWII on a bench saw way before I'd equip a contractor's saw
with a cheaper blade. Maybe that's weird. I just think bits and blades
are an excellent place to put money.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 07:04:35 -0000, "Bill" wrote:

Semi-new to routing.
I have built a router table in a wing of my table saw and finally got
around to getting a decent (2.5 rated hp) router with a 1/2" collet. Now
comes the fun part ... buying bits and learning how to use them (well).

I faced the same "problem" a few years ago, I bought the cheapest
possible set of 16 bits. They are not too bad as it happens, but when
I wear one out, I buy a decent replacement, usually Triton. There's
still 3 or 4 of the set that's pretty much unused.

It seems a good approach, by giving you a lot to play with for a
start, then lets you identify the bits YOU need for YOUR woodworking.
It also lets you develop some skill in sharpening bits, and it's not a
huge loss if you screw up. (You will!)

Barry Lennox