Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default MAILBOX PLATFORM

http://wayneofthewoods.com/mailbox.html

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message
http://wayneofthewoods.com/mailbox.html

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.

It's not being paranoid when they actually ARE after you.

Only one thing better than what you have there, and that is to line the
tinny box with plate steel so that when those wiseacres come by with their
baseball bats, they get a big surprise. I used to live in the country, and
lost a couple of mailboxes. Then I lined a new shiny one with 3/8" plate,
and I'd get about one new ding a year. I figured it was someone else
turning 16 and getting a driver's license. I never saw them do it, but
would have given a days pay to see that.

Man, that's gotta hurt.

Steve

Posted to rec.woodworking

(J T) wrote in
:

Wed, Sep 13, 2006, 8:56pm (EDT-3)
(Steve*B)
doth wisely sayeth:
snip Then I lined a new shiny one with 3/8" plate, snip
Man, that's gotta hurt.

Heh heh. You've GOT to check the archives for the "mailbox"
thread. You're the type of guy that'd enjoy that.

By the way, before someone check the archives then starts whining
about "you can't do a mailbox like that", or "but that'd hurt some
poor innocent kid", I checked with the post office - all they require
is it be at the proper height, at the proper distance from the roat,
and an approved style box. Basically, if it's made out of structural
steel, and is the right height, and distance from the road, and looks
right, it's good. Then if some destructive idiot bonks it with a
baseball bat and the bat bounces back and gets him between the eyes,
it's the kid's own fault. I know damn well if I'd ever tried
something like that, and hurt myself, that MY parents wouldn't be out
blaming the homewoener, they'd be telling me it served me right.

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know"
damn well they're after me.

I remember that thread. It had fuzz on it when we redid our mailbox,
about 5 or 6 years ago.

Our mailbox got out of hand. The foundation is 18" deep (I live in
California, near Oakland - frost isn't a problem). The pillar is
concrete blocks, 24" across, poured and filled with concrete. The
pillar is veneered with fieldstone. The mailbox is brass, and there's a
cast stone cap on top. Looks beautiful! Cost more than my Unisaw.

But the post doesn't rot out. It doesn't need painting. And none of
the kids mess with it. Maybe it's the big, honking rose bush growing
around it all.

It should need replacing sometime early next century. ;-)

Patriarch

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve B wrote:

Only one thing better than what you have there, and that is to line the
tinny box with plate steel so that when those wiseacres come by with their
baseball bats, they get a big surprise. I used to live in the country, and
lost a couple of mailboxes. Then I lined a new shiny one with 3/8" plate,
and I'd get about one new ding a year. I figured it was someone else
turning 16 and getting a driver's license. I never saw them do it, but
would have given a days pay to see that.

Man, that's gotta hurt.

About 10 years ago in rural Ohio, I put in one of those Rubbermaid
ones. You could whale on it with a baseball bat, and it would just make
your hands and arms numb.

Then one night the temperature got down to someteen-below-zero, and
somebody came along and teed off on it, and it shattered like cheap
glass.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Hey kids, take a whack at this one...

http://www.mailboxesandstuff.com/ima...er%20metal.jpg

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

Half that, at most.

"Jim Northey" wrote in message
That was about 10 yr's or so ago. I think . Some time around the two
Bennett's wars. LOL

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J T" wrote in message

Flame war? I remember it as a pleasent intellectual discussion and
exchange of techniques and thoughts.

Like hell it was, It was a damned flame war and you know it. Who appointed
you the mailbox expert anyway? The cabal kicked your ass out of the mailbox
industry because of your one sided opinionated ideas on how a mailbox should
be constructed. It is people like you always causing trouble every frigging
time we try to have a thoughtful exchange of ideas, even if everyone else is
wrong and I'm the only one that is right. Next thing you know, you'll be
going "postal" in this otherwise pleasant thread.

And one more thing. The only yellow tools I have came from DeWalt. So
there!

Sheese, the nerve of some people.

Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Fri, Sep 15, 2006, 7:48pm (EDT+4) (Edwin*Pawlowski) doth
vilelly accuseth:
Like hell it was, It was a damned flame war and you know it. Who
appointed you the mailbox expert anyway? The cabal kicked your ass out
of the mailbox industry because of your one sided opinionated ideas on
how a mailbox should be constructed. It is people like you always
causing trouble every frigging time we try to have a thoughtful exchange
of ideas, even if everyone else is wrong and I'm the only one that is
right. Next thing you know, you'll be going "postal" in this otherwise
pleasant thread.
And one more thing. The only yellow tools I have came from DeWalt. So
there!
Sheese, the nerve of some people.

Hmph! Was so an intellectual debate. Nyah. And the Cabel did not
kick me out, so there. Besides, there IS no Cabal. And you'd damn well
better believe the Cabal will hear about your behaviour too.
I'll have you know I'm a pacifist, I am. And to provie it, if I
were to have another mailbox, I'd be thinking of something like a nine
foot section of well casing, with about three feet sticking out of the
ground, filled with concrete, then the mail box armoured with say half
inch plate. Let some weenie idoot bang that with a baseball bat, or try
to run over it, and that'll pacify the little sucker in a heartbeat.
I'm a people person I am.

To close I'll have you know I have a ed welder in my shop, and my
planer is gray. However the planer does have some yellow highlight now.
Besides, the yellow brightens things up. I picked up a dented pint of
Buttercup Yellow for $1.50 the other day at Wally-World, just in case.
Heheheh.

JOAT
I am not paranoid. I do not "think" people are after me. I "know" damn
well they're after me.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Roy Roy is offline

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:58:14 -0400, (J T) wrote:

I'll have you know I'm a pacifist, I am. And to provie it, if I
were to have another mailbox, I'd be thinking of something like a nine
foot section of well casing, with about three feet sticking out of the
ground, filled with concrete, then the mail box armoured with say half
inch plate. Let some weenie idoot bang that with a baseball bat, or try
to run over it, and that'll pacify the little sucker in a heartbeat.
I'm a people person I am.

Heh, heh. Your post gave me a pleasant flashback memory.

About 15 years ago, the village of Coolville, Ohio had a major problem at their major intersection,
which was a Y in the road. (Coolville pop. `200, no traffic lights, 3 stop signs at the time) This
Y was situated between the 3 carry-outs in the town. Every Friday night some ass would drive over
the sign, the village would drive a new post, reset the sign, and some one would drive over it the
next Friday.

A new mayor obtained a 10 foot section of 10 inch I-beam, buried it 7 feet in the ground, poured
concrete, then welded a section of regular signpost material to it, painted it dark green and rehung
the stop sign. The following Monday I stopped for gas on the way into work. The paint on the I
beam had scratch marks, and the ground was littered with broken glass, automotive grill fragments, a
light bezel, and various other souvenirs of combat. The mayor touched up the paint on the I beam,
and I don't think there has been an assault on that stop sign since. Somewhere around here I have a
picture of SWMBO standing next to the contraption.

Regards,
Roy