Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Microplane ROS discs

Just a note on my first impressions.

I got a pair of medium 5" hook & loop discs for $10. It's supposed to
be an alternative to sandpaper, but I think it's more like a very
speedy rasp. I'll tell you how speedy. I was making a benchtop thingie
out of 2x4s, one of which was all mauled and splintery toward the end
of one edge. So I just ground it off with the Microplane. Took *maybe*
15 seconds to hog out a sort of tapering chamfer 1" wide by 3" long.
Smooth, too. If you slip and hit the workpiece with the edge, it
instantly puts a surprisingly deep and neat kerf where you don't really
need one.

I'd play with this on dimensional lumber a lot more before I'd try it
on any wood I'd want people to look at, and maybe not even then. But it
sure is great for rasping the living bejeezus out of stuff in no time,
and it leaves behind a very nice surface, as long as you dont bung the
edge into the work. A brutally fun thing, and I'll be looking for
chances to use it.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I used mine as a "power planer" when building a large
outdoor table from pressure treated pine. I did the
glue up and realized that a sander was not going to be
able to handle that wet, rough wood. The Microplane
disks just shaved her down perfectly flat.

boorite wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 10 Sep 2006 13:57:28 -0700, "boorite" wrote:

[...]

It sounds like a perfect tool for my wife.. she tends to use the ROS for rougher
work that I think it's built for, like sanding decks and stuff... And applying
way too much pressure, IMO..
Maybe I could at least get her to use the microplane first..
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Everything You want to Know about DVD player rajeshsharma7777 Electronics Repair 1 July 12th 06 06:30 PM
Microplane sanding discs Todd Fatheree Woodworking 1 July 25th 05 03:54 PM
sanding discs vs flapper discs and which brand ?? Mike Fields Metalworking 7 July 10th 05 07:04 PM
Grinding Discs N. Thornton UK diy 6 March 13th 04 10:18 PM
abrasive cut off discs Charles A. Sherwood Metalworking 8 August 5th 03 08:45 PM