Posted to rec.woodworking

Default General consensus on DW 718?

Well, after theives got yet another DW 708 from me, I went out and bought
the 718. The 708 wasn't very available any more. I'm really liking being
able to stand a 1" x 6" against the fence and mitre in both directions. The
dust collection deal is crappy though. Haven't figured out a non-awkward way
to carry it yet. That's about as far as I've gotten with it.

Any other pros or cons I should be aware of now that it's too late?

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

Well, doesn't anybody own one of these? I'm referring to the Dewalt DW 718.
The saw they replaced the DW 708 with. Well, no biggie. I'm liking it more
every day. Does take some getting used to after using the 708 for several
years. Unlike a couple reviews I read, I see no problems with cutting out of
square, etc.. It is less portable that the old saw and that's my only
complaint so far. I have a way around that though. I've had a saw table on
wheels for years but never saw a really good reason to mount a saw on it as
it was useful for other tools (router table, portable table saw). I may
mount it on there. One thing's for certain, with the amount of tool stealing
that's been happening to me the last couple years, I can't lock up any tools
on the job. They're not safe in my van either
By the way, if dust collection was an isuue with me, I'd complain about
that as well. Not a problem, I mainly do interior trim so sweeping isn't an
issue.
Overall, I like the new saw better mostly because of the cutting capacity.

Kevin

Posted to rec.woodworking

I like my 718 very much. Bought it last fall and have only one complaint,
the laser ALWAYS needs readjusted after moving the saw from jobsite to
jobsite, kind of a PITA. I outfitted mine with a Forrest chopmaster and
the DW portable stand. IMO it's the perfect setup! I did post a review
last fall of other brand saws and why I chose the 718 if anyone feels like
googling. --dave