Posted to rec.woodworking

Default if juniper worth harvesting, and a little gloat to

if juniper worth harvesting? a guy I work with had some large junipers
that he's cutting down are they worth harvesting into timber? on first
thought I think they would have to much pitch and just be a mess any
thoughts?

also has anyone worked with Russian olive before? he's pulling down a
number of 10" that I said I would take
and now the gloat

I'm also getting a 2' diameter walnut tree that has a solid 8' long trunk

Richard
Posted to rec.woodworking

I live in central Oregon and I have a lot of Juniper on my place. It
is a soft wood and I don't put a lot of value on it. To me it is not
worth the hassle of sawing into timber. It is just bearly worth the
effort of cutting into firewood as it burns very fast. Some of the old
trees are pretty knarled and may have some nice figure to them but it
still does not seem worth it.

I keep on threatening to send the kids out to collect the berries so I
can make my own Gin. To bad I don't like Gin!

Richard Clements wrote:
if juniper worth harvesting? a guy I work with had some large junipers
that he's cutting down are they worth harvesting into timber? on first
thought I think they would have to much pitch and just be a mess any
thoughts?

also has anyone worked with Russian olive before? he's pulling down a
number of 10" that I said I would take
and now the gloat

I'm also getting a 2' diameter walnut tree that has a solid 8' long trunk

Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Richard Clements" wrote in message
if juniper worth harvesting? a guy I work with had some large junipers
that he's cutting down are they worth harvesting into timber? on first
thought I think they would have to much pitch and just be a mess any
thoughts?

also has anyone worked with Russian olive before? he's pulling down a
number of 10" that I said I would take
and now the gloat

I'm also getting a 2' diameter walnut tree that has a solid 8' long trunk

Richard

I don't think you will want to mill a bunch of lumber from the Juniper, but
you might salvage some smaller pieces for boxes and other small projects.
However, if you are a turner, Juniper can be a delight to work with.
Juniper covers a wide variety, but some of it has remarkable dark red or
purple heartwood and contrasting yellow sap wood. Utah Juniper in
particular is a favorite of mine.

Here is a turned piece with some Juniper (Italian Cypress)
http://www.billpounds.com/woodshop/j...urpleheart.jpg

--
********
Bill Pounds

Posted to rec.woodworking

Have you done this before? Making your own lumber is certainly interesting,
but an awful lot of work if you aren't really set up for it. If you are
doing this casually, stick to high value woods.

"Richard Clements" wrote in message
if juniper worth harvesting? a guy I work with had some large junipers
that he's cutting down are they worth harvesting into timber? on first
thought I think they would have to much pitch and just be a mess any
thoughts?

also has anyone worked with Russian olive before? he's pulling down a
number of 10" that I said I would take
and now the gloat

I'm also getting a 2' diameter walnut tree that has a solid 8' long trunk

Richard

Posted to rec.woodworking

.... juniper worth harvesting?

Depends .... I use juniper for decoy bodies. Usually I use 4" x 8" X
~17" long or laminate 2 2 inch thick boards. That way you can hollow
out the body and join the halfs. Aside from that, I don't know of any
use except telephone poles.

Joel Jacobson

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 05 Sep 2006 08:01:25 -0600, Richard Clements
wrote:

if juniper worth harvesting? a guy I work with had some large junipers
that he's cutting down are they worth harvesting into timber? on first
thought I think they would have to much pitch and just be a mess any
thoughts?

also has anyone worked with Russian olive before? he's pulling down a
number of 10" that I said I would take
and now the gloat

I'm also getting a 2' diameter walnut tree that has a solid 8' long trunk

Richard

Juniper makes really nice bowls and candlesticks... stuff like that...
Related to cedar, isn't it???

Cut the Juniper into bowl blanks and sell it on ebay... *g*
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 5 Sep 2006 08:01:25 -0600, Richard Clements wrote
(in article ):

if juniper worth harvesting? a guy I work with had some large junipers
that he's cutting down are they worth harvesting into timber? on first
thought I think they would have to much pitch and just be a mess any
thoughts?

also has anyone worked with Russian olive before? he's pulling down a
number of 10" that I said I would take
and now the gloat

I'm also getting a 2' diameter walnut tree that has a solid 8' long trunk

Richard

Depends on the species, etc. I have planked a fair amount of the local
variety, very nice 400+ year old stuff that is about 2 feet in diameter
(great for boxes and veneer).
The fast growing stuff is probably best for firewood or other basic projects
since it tends to be soft and moves a lot.
-Bruce